Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 03:37 AM   #26
Taliesin
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 82
Offline
Re: Is the hakama obligatory?

Halama's are a nightmare to wear - so i can understand someone not wanting to wear one because of additonal risks, or just because they are such a pain in the backside.

But as far as humility is concerened - nothing is more guaranteed to keep you humble on the mat than wearing the b*****y thing!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:29 AM   #27
gerry cochrane
Dojo: Northampton Ki-Aikido
Location: Northants
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Is the hakama obligatory?

Quote:
Edward Karaa wrote: View Post
I personally believe the hakama to be responsible for a lot of the manierism and the dance like movements we see in aikido. Take off the hakama and I'm sure a great deal of the martial spirit comes back
I really do agree with this statement. Although I have done the old "Hakama Two-Step" many times, and no doubt many more times to come, wearing it has been instrumental to my moving more fluidly and lighter, thus wearing it has been an oppertunity for learning in itself.

IMO aikido is a graceful art, almost balletic in it's execution, and undoubtedly the Hakama makes an important contribution to this effect

Gerry Cochrane
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:13 AM   #28
Pauliina Lievonen
 
Pauliina Lievonen's Avatar
Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 562
Netherlands
Offline
Re: Is the hakama obligatory?

Quote:
David Chalk wrote: View Post
But as far as humility is concerened - nothing is more guaranteed to keep you humble on the mat than wearing the b*****y thing!!!
Good point!

kvaak
Pauliina
For me, summer has officially started - shorts under my hakama last night...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:22 AM   #29
antonis paps
 
antonis paps's Avatar
Location: greece
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 56
Greece
Offline
Re: Is the hakama obligatory?

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote: View Post
Good point!

kvaak
Pauliina
For me, summer has officially started - shorts under my hakama last night...
Ok you 've made your point,wear the bloody thing!!
Its clear for all of us,
No reason repeating ourselves ei?

For the humble thing:

mm..usually it looks much more simple..but anw

Well:
Hypothesis lesson 1

Generally we have:

A + X = C

In order to get as an answer C we need an A and an X

Where X = any possible situation leading to a C
Where A = current situation
Where C = answer- in this case hakama or no hakama beeing
an acceptable answer

In this case we have, A + B = C

B is an X
That is, we assume B , and B is a hypothesis
In this case maybe wrong we assumed B = humbleness thing

And the answer C if i am correct depends to: dojo,sensei,reason,organization,and e.t.c
Where e.t.c is I do not know.

Thank you for listening,
For any difficulties please contact me.xexe

To continue:

On the other hand, I think the thread is leaning towards the safety part of wearing the hakama.
Feel free to comment if you like

Thanks,
Antonis Papas.

Τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ , What Flows, Is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #30
Dirk Hanss
 
Dirk Hanss's Avatar
Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Location: Merzkirchen
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 471
Germany
Offline
Re: Is the hakama obligatory?

Quote:
Luc Saroufim wrote: View Post
i consider Hakamas a safety hazard. they can get stepped on, which could injure a nage, and worse things can happen to an uke who gets caught up in one.
That is one reason, why we ask beginners (latest after 6th kyu test) to wear hakama. They get messed up, but as they do everything slowly, they do not face harm. When they start to act dynamicly , fast and probably hard, they are already used to wearing a long skirt Another reason is: when you are able to do the technique good and safely with a hakama, you can do it even in bad terrain. There is no need to ask: "Can we first make the surface plain and cover it it with mats?".
The disadvantage is that some of us tell the aggressor: let me first change dress - I never learnt doing the techniques without hakama."

Cheers Dirk
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #31
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Location: Stockholm
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 601
Sweden
Offline
Re: Is the hakama obligatory?

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote: View Post
Another reason is: when you are able to do the technique good and safely with a hakama, you can do it even in bad terrain.
This was completly intended as a joke, right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #32
Pauliina Lievonen
 
Pauliina Lievonen's Avatar
Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 562
Netherlands
Offline
Re: Is the hakama obligatory?

Quote:
Antonis Paps wrote: View Post
Ok you 've made your point,wear the bloody thing!!
Its clear for all of us,
No reason repeating ourselves ei?
Antonis, sorry I didn't mean to be rubbing it in, David's post just made me laugh.

kvaak
Pauliina
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #33
tarik
 
tarik's Avatar
Dojo: Iwae Dojo
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 567
United_States
Offline
Re: Is the hakama obligatory?

Quote:
David Chalk wrote: View Post
Halama's are a nightmare to wear - so i can understand someone not wanting to wear one because of additonal risks, or just because they are such a pain in the backside.
If it's a pain in the backside you're tying it too tight (and wearing it too low).

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:46 AM   #34
aek
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7
United_States
Offline
Re: Is the hakama obligatory?

It would be helpful if my instructor did not wear his hakama. I would have a better view of his footwork.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wearing Hakama Shouri (Steve) General 92 11-20-2014 09:32 AM
Hakama for non-yudansha SeanToner General 78 11-20-2008 01:27 PM
Good Hakama Gone Bad Erik Humor 102 09-05-2007 09:40 AM
Hakama FAQ DaveO Humor 24 11-02-2004 05:22 PM
Hakama or no hakama. nmarques General 40 06-13-2002 06:57 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2018 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2018 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate