Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #26
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido & Judo

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote: View Post
Darn! I just wish them Japan folks would organize a 10 men match up between Kodokan and Shodokan school consisting of university players. That would be a fantasy match come true.
Judo would win easly, waste of time.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #27
DonMagee
United_States

That would depend on the rules. I am currently attempting to challenge chuck liddel a match.

I think I have what it takes to beat him in chess.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 05-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #28
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
That would depend on the rules. I am currently attempting to challenge chuck liddel a match.

HA! Nice.

I remember a friend joking (?) about "chess kickboxing" or something -- that is, you play a couple minutes of chess, then kickbox for a minute, then play some more chess, then kickbox...

(As an aside: I would also put my money on the judoka. Depends on the rules to some extent, but yeah.)
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #29
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote: View Post
(As an aside: I would also put my money on the judoka. Depends on the rules to some extent, but yeah.)
Of course the ruleset would be the determining factor in such a contest. I'm not sure how many people posting actually understand the Shodokan shiai ruleset but they are designed so that you cannot use Judo waza effectively and expect to get any points.

Alternatively however one can get off many of the Shodokan style throws, and elbow waza waza in a Judo context, and if they are done badly in an Aikido sense (sacrifice techniques, muscling through etc.) they fall well within the Judo rules. Often, the waza will just be done at a further distance, but be quite effective. In my little experience I have yet to meet a Judoka who was able to throw me when I kept using Shodokan toshu randori tactics. Of course as soon as I decided to try Judo waza I got planted.

The key is sticking to your tactical set as long as the rules allow it.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #30
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote: View Post
I remember a friend joking (?) about "chess kickboxing" or something -- that is, you play a couple minutes of chess, then kickbox for a minute, then play some more chess, then kickbox...
The The World Chess Boxing Organization:
Quote:
In a chessboxing fight two opponents play alternating rounds of chess and boxing. The contest starts with a round of chess, followed by a boxing round, followed by another round of chess and so on. In every round of chess the FIDE rules for a "Blitz game" apply, in every boxing round amateur boxing rules apply with the following extensions and modifications: In a contest there shall be 11 rounds, 6 rounds of chess, 5 rounds of boxing. A round of chess takes 4 minutes. Each competitor has 12 minutes on the chess timer. As soon as the time runs out the game is over.

A round of boxing takes 2 minutes. Between rounds there is a 1 minute pause, during which competitors change their gear. The contest is decided by: checkmate (chess round), exceeding the time limit (chess round), retirement of an opponent (chess or boxing round), KO (boxing round), or referee decision (boxing round). If the chess game ends in a stalement, the opponent with the higher score in boxing wins. If there is an equal score, the opponent with the black pieces wins.

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #31
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Apparently, Chess-Boxing was also a Kung Fu movie !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgSj69X3QPg

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #32
gregg block

United_States

Just my opinion pertaining to the original post which stated 'It is primarily low-level Aikido that sucks in terms of effectiveness'. I don't know what this means. What is low level Aikido and who's teaching it? If this is referring to what beginning students are first exposed to or " the basics" I have to disagree with the statement
How effective it would be would depend on who its being used against and who is using it. For someone who only has a beginning background in Aikido it would certainly be more valuable than no training. For someone who comes from a mixed martial arts background having some basic Aikido training under ones already "black" belt can be very valuable and effective. In most cases one would most certainly want to utilize skills learned previously before going into an aikido technique. But finishing with an Aikido technique might much more humane for those of us who come from a primarily striking arts background (ie. boxing, TKD ect>>)
Old 05-15-2007, 03:14 PM   #33
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Smile Re: Aikido & Judo

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post

Good luck.
Quote:
A short list of largely unknown facts about Chuck Liddell:

He was in the chess club.
From http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=glock/070514

Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #34
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Yikes! It was always the smart guys that were also really scary physically that I kept my eyes on...the dumb scary guys were easy to manipulate...

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido of Northern VA Seminars - Doran-sensei in Northern Virginia, March 2015