Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
thecrowrains
Dojo: none
United_States
Novice, Beginner's Question

Greetings Aikidoka,
I'll even admit, I'm not even a beginner but I've always admired and/or respected Aikido. I've yet to step foot in a single class; but I've addressed my curiosity by at least buying a book at the local Barnes & Noble's booksellers.

Anyone care to expend some thought in a reply about how Aikido differs from Taekwondo, Northern Shaolin Kung-Fu, and Jeet Kune Do?

*I mentioned those above three due in part to that has been the bulk of martial training.

peace, namaste',
Eric
Old 04-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: Novice, Beginner's Question

In many ways similar and in many ways different.
I happen to believe that the sensei is more important than the art.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
thecrowrains
Dojo: none
United_States

Mr. Wood,
thanks for the succinct reply. "In many ways similar" < Would it be safe to say that the similarities include the same striking techniques of hands and feet? I would assume that the dissimilar techniques include the locks, traps, etc.?

There's only ONE Aikido school in the main Anchorage bowl area = approx. 100 miles roundtrip. Argh.

peace,
Eric
Old 04-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Best answered by trying out a class and talking to the local teacher.

There may be some small clubs closer that you may not be aware of that the teacher of that school could point you to.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
maxwelljones
Dojo: Aikido at the Center
United_States

Aikido is a rather unique martial art. It may fall somewhere between judo and taijiquan, in my maybe-wrong opinion, in focus.

Aikidoka don't focus much on hitting people, except in the way tori will occasionally strike, or at least feint, to divert uke's attention before applying the technique, and in the way uke attacks tori to initiate the technique.

On the other hand, arts like taekwondo and Jeetkunedo are "hard" arts, where the emphasis is almost solely on effective ways to strike, with devastating effect, in rapid succession. Karate involves some takedown techniques, but places comparatively little emphasis on them beside the striking techniques more commonly associated with it.

But, as said, the best thing you can do is attend a dojo and see for yourself if aikido, or whatever style you choose, provides the tools you can use to achieve what you want, in terms of instilling self-discipline and/or learning to use physical force in defense. No one art is superior to all others, but you'll have to choose one that best fits the goals you are hoping to achieve.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
mwible
Dojo: Aikido of Suenaka-Ha in Greater Richmond
United_States

aikido is almost a complete opposite of the arts u just listed(in my opinion and understanding). the only strikes u will use in aikido are just meant to stun and/or loosen up your attacker. aikido is used only as self defense. it is primarily based on joint locks mainly involving the wrist and arm. and throws. using your opponents body weight against them and getting them off balance to have complete control over them from start to finish.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
crbateman

Take some classes. Go in expecting nothing. Soak up and experience firsthand. Then begin to ask questions. You'll be surprised just how fast you will be able to arrive at many of the answers yourself.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #8
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

I have visited Aikido North in Anchorage and they are great folks. Best of luck!

Gaia