Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Vindictive, Vicious, and Venal, too

Three V's and the W.

Vindictive: Plame, federal prosecuters...

Vicious: Torture.

Venal: Dissenters:

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Profes...d_to_0409.html

Professor who criticized Bush told added to terrorist 'no-fly' list Michael Roston
Published: Monday April 9, 2007

Print This Email This

A top Constitutional scholar from Princeton who gave a televised speech that slammed President George W. Bush's executive overreach was recently told that he had been added to the Transportation Security Administration's terrorist watch list. He shared his experience this weekend at the law blog Balkinization.

Walter F. Murphy, the McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence, Emeritus, at Princeton University, attempted to check his luggage at the curbside in Albuquerque before boarding a plane to Newark, New Jersey. Murphy was told he could not use the service.

"I was denied a boarding pass because I was on the Terrorist Watch list," he said.

When inquiring with a clerk why he was on the list, Murphy was asked if he had participated in any peace marches.

"We ban a lot of people from flying because of that," a clerk said.

Murphy then explained that he had not marched, but had "in September, 2006, given a lecture at Princeton, televised and put on the Web, highly critical of George Bush for his many violations of the Constitution."

The clerk responded, "That'll do it."

Murphy was allowed to board the plane, but was warned that his luggage would be "ransacked." On his return trip, his luggage was lost.

Murphy is a decorated Marine who served in the Korean War and was a reservist for 19 years. Mark Graber, who presented the blog post, adds that there were other reasons that Murphy was an unlikely terror suspect.

"While he holds some opinions, most notably on welfare, similar to opinions held on the political left, he is a sharp critic of ROE V. WADE, and supported the Alito nomination," he wrote.

The blog post on Murphy's experience can be accessed at : http://balkin.blogspot.com/2007/04/a...of-people.html

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Vindictive, Vicious, and Venal, too

yikes...sometimes I really have to wonder what this country is coming to. If participating in a peacefull march or demonstration is considered normal precedent for placing someone on a terrorist watch list... {shakes head}...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
dbotari
Canada

As a Canadian, I used to do the "dash across the border" quite often. Unfortunately, with the recent changes made by the US, I now require a passport to cross into the states (and I believe US citizens require one in order to cross back into the States from Canada), which has put a damper on the number of trips I now take. I guess its the price one pays for vigilance...
Old 04-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Dan Botari wrote: View Post
As a Canadian, I used to do the "dash across the border" quite often. Unfortunately, with the recent changes made by the US, I now require a passport to cross into the states (and I believe US citizens require one in order to cross back into the States from Canada), which has put a damper on the number of trips I now take. I guess its the price one pays for vigilance...
What vigilance?

If one goes far enough from the beaten path, getting across our border isn't tough.

People still sneak into the U.S. daily. Some of them want to just get a job and wire some money back to their family. Some have reasons for coming here that are not so noble.

It doesn't seem terribly logical to punish some peaceful citizen that hasn't done anything wrong when the borders are wide open anyway.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Hogan

Bush did this, Bush did that...

SNORE.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
John Hogan wrote: View Post
Bush did this, Bush did that...

SNORE.
I'm sick of hearing about Bush too, but I can't think of very many of our representatives who are truly concerned with our security. We're running the air conditioning at full blast when all the doors and windows are open.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 04-17-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Scary - can imagine it now, "have you or any members of your family ever involved themselves in a serious political debate...".

Unfortunately, the UK will probably have to go one better just to show we support the US and have a "special" relationship - luckily our "focus driven" initiatives with "joined up government" normally mean the only people at risk of prosecution are your auntie Maureen who's been dead the past ten years - there's a lot to be said for having media-savvy incompetents in charge sometimes.