Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-17-2000, 03:15 PM   #1
Turru
Dojo: Queretaro Aikikai Aikido
I'm triying to buy a nice aikido uniform. Maybe, buy it via internet.

Any recommendation in brand or style?
please respond to alfredoavila@hotmail.com
Old 07-17-2000, 03:22 PM   #2
akiy

Welcome to the Forums, Alfredo. I'm going to answer here rather than to your e-mail address since others may be interested in this, too.

I think this depends on how much you want to spend. Dogi range from the flimsy kind (that some people like) that around around US$20 for both top and bottom all the way up to the nice Mizuno judogi that can run upwards of hundreds of dollars just for the top alone.

I've bought dogi from Mugendo Budogu (judogi) and Bu Jin Design (canvas uwagi) and found both companies reliable and their products durable and good. I've heard good things about Hsu's double-weave uwagi which I'm thinking about getting, too.

Hope that helps,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-17-2000, 03:59 PM   #3
Turru
So, would you highly recomend a Mizuno gi? I've seen a gi for about $40. Is this a good price for this product?
Old 07-17-2000, 04:07 PM   #4
akiy

The only Mizuno dogi that I've seen were the ones that ran for over US$100. I don't know the quality of their less expensive line.

Anyone else?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-17-2000, 05:08 PM   #5
Shipley
Dojo: UBC Okanagan Aikido Club
Canada
I'll second the vote for the Bujin design gi top. I find it incredibly comfortable, and I'm training in southern Arizona right now where just about nothing is all that comfortable.

Paul
Old 07-18-2000, 09:02 PM   #6
Nick
United_States
Going to the other end of the Totem Pole:

I've been using a Century (shudder) judogi for the past seven months. Although at times it can be uncomfortable (when you sweat a lot, the top sticks to you and rustles against your skin) it has served its purpose, and is pretty cheap.

-Nick
Old 07-18-2000, 10:55 PM   #7
adriangan

Dojo: Jitsuyo Bugei
Philippines
I'd recommend the Mizuno, it fits and feels good and is pretty tough, great for those grabs. I saved up for mine and was lucky enough to get it for approx US$58 (a friend of mine knew a Mizuno supplier here)

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 07-18-2000, 11:22 PM   #8
Nick
United_States
Yeah, I get the Century ones wholesale (my dad's karate dojo has a membership) so I have to use em...

-Nick
Old 08-02-2000, 02:32 PM   #9
djleyva
Dojo: Sierra Madre Hapkido Dojang
Talking

I would recomend thi Mizuno gi. I have a Mizuno single weave Gi, and I love it. It is the best gi I have had in my 12 years of training. try Golden Tiger. They sell the single weave for $75.00 (top and bottom)here is their website. http://www.goldentiger.com/tokun.html
Old 08-02-2000, 03:25 PM   #10
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Thumbs down

If you can afford it. Tozando puts out a phenomenal aikido gi that will probably outlive you. They even do hand stitched gis!

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 10-09-2000, 06:32 PM   #11
Nick
United_States
$500 for a dogi is a bit out there, in my opinion. However, I did just get a new Mizuno for $42 (shihan special ) and I love it. I didn't realize how superior it was to the Century ones... compared to the Century dogi, it feels like a nice warm blanket (especially once you start working out).
Old 10-09-2000, 10:13 PM   #12
Turru
Thumbs down

Thanks everybody for answering.

I finally bought my gi from Hatashita Ent. in Canada via internet. Customer serice by contact was excelent. I must confess I was a little affraid, becuase it's kind of difficult to buy by internet and then get your orders to mexico, because of shipping costs, etc.

I got a Mizuno single weave and a fuji white gi. Both are excelent uniforms, but I felt the Mizuno a little softer than the other. With this buy, I don't think I'll need another gi until both get broken.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:10 AM   #13
O-Ren

Dojo: Aikido of Palestine
United_States
Disgust Re: UNIFORM

If price is no object try budostuff.com. Haven't received mine just yet, patently waiting though.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:19 PM   #14
Matthew White
United_States
Re: UNIFORM

Now that you've got them, please, please, please don't tumble dry them!!! Nuthin' ruins a good gi like a dryer. Hang it up and let it drip! In fact, hang it up after each practice and let it air out.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #15
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

I just got my wife a Bujin doji on ebay and i've gotten other brands for myself there. They have all been used but relatively new. Better than paying full price.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:48 PM   #16
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

If you overdry your gi it will shrink. I tend to dry mine until slightly damp then hang them up. Also the amount of shrinkage depends on the brand of gi you own. The Cheetah brand shrinks a lot, then I'd put Tiger Claw then Century behind that in that order. It's my impression the "cheaper" the gi, the "cheaper" the fabric and the more wear you will have. No matter, if you buy cheap you buy twice.

I have the bugin dogi and have been very satisfied and haven't had problems with drying it in a dryer. Also I don't have a problem with using non-liquid fabric softeners.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 09-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #17
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Smile Re: UNIFORM

I want my gi's to be CLEAN and DRY -- no funky bacteria is gonna take root in MY gi's. Been doing it this way for 20 years, and have currently 3 different pairs of pants and 7 tops to show for it*.

Here's my rules for gi maintenance for sweaty aikidoka:

1) Always wash and dry gi's in HOT using normal detergent and use the dryer and dryer-sheets (if you're not allergic) to roast 'em until they're warm and soft. (Happiness is a dryer-warmed gi on a cold day.)
2) Gi's shrink -- so buy a larger size. And always wash it before you wear it for the first time. (Some shrink more than others - so, ask around.)
3) Avoid bleach -- I've shredded a few gi's early on, they virtually fell apart on the mat after a few bleach/hot-water washings.
4) Use at least one clean gi jacket per day, if possible -- let the sweat dry in them and reuse them in emergencies ONLY, please. Recycling the gi pants is usually OK - they don't get as wet and sweaty. Bring a spare jacket to seminars, please.
5) * If the knees shred - It's OK to turn them around as an emergency fix (not a permanent one). Knee-walking is hell on pants, and patching the knees is more work than it's worth -- as you usually end up with uncomfortable shreds and bits under the patch that makes for uneven pressure points on the knee. Buy another gi, and you'll have a spare jacket to swap out on a really active day. Or buy a set of Bujin pants - virtually canvas, the knees wear like iron.

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"