Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #26
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Why did almost all of K.Tohei's students establish independent ryuha?

Quote:
Mathew McDowell wrote: View Post
I will throw in my 2 yen...
See? It is about money...
Old 04-06-2007, 02:27 AM   #27
nagoyajoe

Dojo: Kokikai Hombu Shushinkan Dojo, Nagoya
Japan

David wrote "I recently returned from an event in which there were a great many senior Kokikai instructors. While I am sure none of them would say they were at the same level as Sensei Shuji Maruyama (Kokikai's founder), many of them, if not all, seemed to show a real understanding of what Sensei Maruyama is teaching. Perhaps that's the point: assuming that everyone, instructor and student alike, are still growing and understanding aikido, you can't expect to "catch up" to anyone; what you can do is gain the tools and confidence to make progress in your training regardless of circumstances."

You hit the nail on the head! You do get Sensei. Thank you so much.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #28
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
And this is an example of what I mentioned about level of awareness. The teacher senior to all the senior students in Seidokan and of comparable experience to Rod Kobayashi and who you are probably not aware of simply because he decided not to separate from Ki Society in 1981. He is the chief instructor of Southern California Ki Society schools now and a 7th dan and has several programs with 4th and 5th dans in charge under him. He also keeps a very low profile and only recently is there a website,
http://www.socalkisociety.org/activities.html . There is no promotional bio, but he started Aikido about 50 years ago when he was a teenager.

One of those teachers I wish I could train with more often.
Yes, he is very good and they have some great students.

From my limited understanding in discussions with members of the Kobayashi family as well as senior students of the time, there were many reasons for the split in his case. Suffice to say I really wouldn't know all the reasons nor would I want to share some of the things I have learned as it is not my place to do so. But I think I can safely say that it was clearly a very difficult decision for sensei for reasons that go way beyond simple politics and organizational issues. And like many things in life, things happen, you make your decisions, and you get on with life after that.

But keep in mind that many of Kobayashi's students, some going back 40 years (well over a decade before the split) stayed with Kobayashi sensei. So they were fully involved during the times when we were still affiliated. Larry Wadahara-sensei, for instance, started as a child in the Children's classes taught by Kobayashi-sensei back at that same time. Many decades later now Wadahara-sensei is one of the chief instructors at Seidokan's HQ as well as his own dojo in Long Beach.

As already pointed out, many who split off as well as many who stayed pretty much kept to themselves and just kept on training. If you like your teacher, if you like your training, just keep on training.

And yes, the seidokan site does give a bit of history as well as some outlines of our training philosophy. Any further info on the whys and wherefore's of the separation... Ancient history.

All opinions and all factual errors are my responsibility and mine alone. I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone but myself.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!