Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
DanielR
Google Chrome

Hey Jun,

Just a quick word - Aikiweb mostly looks fine in Chrome, but the forums menus look different (no pull-down sub-menus).

Best,
Daniel
Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Re: Google Chrome

Well, still in beta, so...
Old 09-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Tried it and not impressed. I'm running the beta of IE8 and it doesn't bog down my system like Chrome and v3 of Firefox. Found this article interesting as I've experienced these issues with FF.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D92V15G80.html

of course, you mileage may vary.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
DonMagee
United_States

As far as I can tell it is very fast and works well. I'm impressed with what they have so far. I'll be more impressed when it builds on my computer (tried compiling and it failed on windows and mac).

As far as replacing my browser, I don't see it happening in the short term. I need extentions (adblock, noscript, firebug (it does have something similar built in), greasemonkey, google notebook (odd huh?), stumbleupon, foxmarks, etc). Until it supports some kind of extension framework I don't see me using it.

Rendering it uses the same engine as Safari. Which gives me a good feeling all around. I love safaris rendering engine. So far all my code works perfectly on it. I did find my sites worked a lot faster on chrome then on firefox. Hopefully firefox will improve because of this or chrome will get a mac/linux client and allow for extensions (and develop a community)

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
akiy

Hi Daniel,

I'll see about taking a look at the forum using Chrome when I get the chance. Thanks for the heads-up.

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Ehhh...Chrome needs more polish.

I have been an Opera user for years. http://www.opera.com

Aikiweb looks very sexy in Opera.

William Hazen
Old 09-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
David Maidment
United Kingdom

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
So far all my code works perfectly on it. I did find my sites worked a lot faster on chrome then on firefox.
I found the same with my code. However, some other people's code doesn't work right. I'm personally wondering how Chrome is identifying itself to servers... so much code nowadays requires workarounds for certain browsers, so if it's ending up on the end of an IF-ELSEIF-ELSE conditional statement, some more 'complex' sites could just be stripping away features (so far I've noticed that eBay seem to have such a system in place, although without viewing their source code I can't be 100% sure).

Can't wait for a Release Candidate and Linux build.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
David Maidment wrote: View Post
I found the same with my code. However, some other people's code doesn't work right. I'm personally wondering how Chrome is identifying itself to servers... so much code nowadays requires workarounds for certain browsers, so if it's ending up on the end of an IF-ELSEIF-ELSE conditional statement, some more 'complex' sites could just be stripping away features (so far I've noticed that eBay seem to have such a system in place, although without viewing their source code I can't be 100% sure).

Can't wait for a Release Candidate and Linux build.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.X.Y.Z Safari/525.13.

I use jquery for most of my scripts and fall though css, so I've never ran into the browser detection horrors. Most people should treat chrome as safari.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 09-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
David Maidment
United Kingdom

That's interesting then... Safari's usually been fairly good to me in terms of browser-specific features. I note also that Chrome seems to be scoring very well in the Acid tests. Worth keeping an eye on.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!