Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

aikido articles

dojo search
image gallery
links directory

book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

rss feeds

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-04-2001, 10:32 PM   #26
Originally posted by Mikey
Me, I'm into Spreeewelljustu sneakersilatfu. It is the most deadly offshoot of shoedo.
I'd forgotten about Professor Sprewell (I've always loved martial artists that call themselves professor) who added bats and pit bulls to the shoedo syllabus.
Old 10-05-2001, 05:10 PM   #27
Re: following

Jakob, you're just a bit backwards here. See there is a relationship between philosophy, principles and techniques but they cause each other in that order. Philosophy brings about the existence of ideas that are applicable to the real world. These applicable ideas/principles then give rise to a multitude of physical movements, the techniques.

When you derive philosophy from application of technique, your philosophy can be refined through practice, bringing you ever closer to harmony with nature. This method requires only perseverance.

If you attempt to go in the other direction, your "techniques" will only succeed in specific emotional states. 1 person in 100 will be lucky enough to understand martial arts through this method.

If you wish to learn more about this, attack your classmates, and observe their reactions. No theories. The proof is right in front of you.
Old 10-05-2001, 05:38 PM   #28
Mike Collins
Pit Bulls were actually never added to "Classical" shoedo. They were used as an adjunct to the more eclectic style of hightopwaza. Though "Professor S" as his most dedicated disciples called him made hightopwaza seem to be just a seamless part of "Classical" shoedo.

Erik, we gotta train together one day.

Last edited by Mike Collins : 10-06-2001 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:34 AM   #29
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
ScottMirabile, I have to go with Cris in this one. As I see it, I would have a hard time believing O-sensei would have created Aikido with philosophy alone (from Onisaburi Deguchi sp.) without his background in the martial arts. He extracted his martial art in a way for us to train in order to understand, not the opposite. And the result became a number of highly refined techniques, that litterally contains nothing but principles. He saw this and found it a satisfying way to understand the philosophy.
But he also said - This old man still has to train!
So he left a legasy to us to exsplore and refine ourselves. And so we do and find after a lot of hard work that the old man indeed gave us something special only we can understand.

Jakob Blomquist

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!