Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #51
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Location: Stuttgart, Baden Wurttemberg
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
Germany
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Liked the video Don.

I do pugil stick training from time to time with my guys. Winning with them is realitive as you discount much of the jousting and hits because of the padding.

that said, I typically win because I understand how to move and dominate center better than most of the guys I train with.

Guess what...moving on the angles, yielding and bending in one direction and coming back around in another works. Taking center etc. all aikido skill.

Much different though than what you were doing as you are required to stand on the pedestal, much more difficult on your part because you have isolated out so many options.

I might film some of our pugil stick training as it might be interesting to look at how you move during the matches.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #52
DonMagee
Location: Indiana
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,311
United_States
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

That was my first time ever doing anything like that. I'd love to actually have a go at it for real though, the platform was very limiting, my feet hardly fit on it. I did have one advantage though, unlike most of the students, I had no fear of being hit.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #53
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Location: Orlando Florida
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 456
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Simon, for what its worth here is an excerpt from a book I wrote to my grandchildren. Some of text refers to other context in the book.

From A Collage of Poppy's Life

FUNATORI -- FURUTAMA

I start by taking one natural step forward with my left foot. Leaving the right in the rear position. Now I widen the distance just a little further than my normal walking gate. At first I had to experiment and find a comfort distance. I place my hands close to my side at the hip joint. They are closed as if I'm holding a boat ore , but they are not clinched. Now I move center forward bending the front knee while extending the hands out to the front of my body. I visualize lifting the ores out of water shifting to the forward position lowering the ores into the water and pulling back. I do all this with as much hip and leg motion as I can. At the apex of the extension the center begins to move back as the back knee bends and the front knee straightens. The hands are brought to the side in line with the hip joint again.

I endeavor to move the tanden (center) in a straight even line with as little bobbing up and down motion as possible. With the movement forward and the expansion of the body the breath flows into the tanden. With the movement to the rear the body contracts and the breath is forced out. Throughout all these Aikido based exercises remember body expansion requires breath in and body contraction requires breath out. Movement and breath, breath and movement are one.

As the body expands with arms extended the air flows into the lungs. As the body contracts with hands drawn to the hip joint the air is forced out of the body, this creates a harmony of motion. Each full movement of the body requires a complete cycle of breath.

Now I go through the other half of this exercise. After doing the rowing exercise for a short time I stand with my feet about shoulder with apart. I cup the left hand over the right as if covering an egg. I lift my arms over my head and then bring them down front of the tanden. I begin to shake the hands just strongly enough to feel the movement throughout the body. I continue this for about five minuets before shifting back to the first part. Remember what I said about deep breathing and that 1750 ml. of air in the bottom of the lungs that can't be voluntarily expelled? That's the residual volume if you remember. During the shaking I believe that the level of the oxygen in the bottom of the lung is increased and the level of the carbon dioxide is reduced. This improves the over all oxygen count in the blood and increases the internal body heat. I have done this with folks in the snow and we melt the snow.

Saotome Sensei recommended I do this in the morning for a minimum of 45 minuets. I have found that it builds core heat in my body and if I then step into freezing water my skin pores will close down holding the heat inside for a short time as long as I continue to shake. I guess it's much like shivering to create body heat but done much more methodically. When I step out of the water and the pores of my body open the flood of sensation is beyond belief. It's like my universe explodes into brighter colors and more sounds, the senses are amplified and flooded. Sometimes it's almost to much to stand. I want to caution both of you that this is not to be done with out proper supervision by a skilled teacher and even in Japan they are getting fewer and fewer as the old ways are being rejected by the younger generation.

I have experienced the same feeling in an American Indiana sweat lodge ceremony after long hours of demanding physical challenges.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #54
Keith R Lee
Location: Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 219
United_States
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
AND THIS....this is what I really, really want to see, or try in person. For someone to demonstrate with a decent so-called or labeled, "externalist" with a so-called internalist...you for instance...go toe to toe in a completely, or as complete as reasonably possible...NHB situation...AND to have you demonstrate the martial superiority and the dominance that you can establish.

When I get back to the states, If you agree to the time and place, I would get together with you and work through this, as I seek a deeper understanding of the mysteries that I apparently "don't get".

Not being sarcastic, but geninuely honest and sincere desire to be shown how this works.
I'm with Kevin on this one. I maintain doubt in the martial value of the so-called "internal" styles because I have yet to see an internal stylist provide any sort of real tangible evidence (either in person or a video) that shows why they have value in a pure, NHB, physical altercation. Every video I've ever seen where there was an internal vs. external person in a NHB the internal person doesn't just get beat, they get annihilated. Every internal stylist I've met in person and trained with have had little applicable training for a NHB setting. Furthermore, not accusing anyone here of this, many "internal" stylists will refuse a training offer in any sort of NHB setting because of the claim they are either too deadly, too spiritual, or some other poppycock; which comes across as either arrogant or scared, take your pick.

I'd actually like to be proven wrong and be shown that there is some tangible benefit to this type of practice, that it can provide some sort of extra advantage. Because if it can - I want some of it. But my experience is like all the other combat sport people on the board, no one has been able to prove it to me yet.

Keith Lee
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #55
Michael Douglas
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 400
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Quote:
Keith Lee wrote:
... Every internal stylist I've met in person and trained with have had little applicable training for a NHB setting. Furthermore, not accusing anyone here of this, many "internal" stylists will refuse a training offer in any sort of NHB setting because of the claim they are either too deadly, too spiritual, or some other poppycock; which comes across as either arrogant or scared, take your pick.
It may be that the 'internal/external' styles attract a different selection of trainees and due to statistical probability you're more likely to meet external-style-bruisers and internal-style-bunnies.

So given that weighting within the proponents of styles the chances of the random externalist beating the random internalist are huge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #56
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Location: Stuttgart, Baden Wurttemberg
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
Germany
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Keith,

I actually make no distinction between external and internal skills. There is either things that work, or things that don't work. I think done properly using proper mechanics is what usually is called internal.

I do understand that a Straight punch down the middle hitting a head that is immobilized by a wall or ground is not necessarily considered internal...but what is the point of defining things, and what got them to this point to begin with.

Yes I sincerely want to be shown where I am wrong.

In Mike Sigman's defense, he will acknowledge that what he isolates out is simply exercises to help someone reach a deeper understanding of the internal dynamics. This I have no issue with what-so-ever. This I believe is the value of aikido.

I do have issue with those that profess they have a deeper martial understanding and proceed to say, "I don't get it". It could be that I don't..certainly I can learn and don't know everything. I don't think I am that far off though.

What I really have issue with is the realitive value of this limited and theorectical training. Even Mike concedes that Tito Ortiz would probably mop up the floor with a 105 lb China man.

So, what is the point?

Dan has pointed out in the past to me, that would I consider it if it would improve my game? Absolutely I would.

However, Did I simply misunderstand you Dan when I quoted you above. You are proposing that a internalist that "gets it" can control and externalist that doesn't get it.

Yes I'd by that in the sense that I have been with Tai Chi guys that are much better at me in Tai Chi....however, when we take down the rules, they have never been able to show me where their so called years of martial training are superior to mine.

Does it help me? yes...I have learned much from them and from aikido.

Does it mean that they get it" more than I martially...NO not at all.

My buddy and pro MMA fighter and trainer, Steve Van Fleet, is about the only guy I have ever met that has demonstrated proficiency in things like Tai Chi and can apply those skills in a full NHB situation. He does not talk in special mumbo jumbo about separating out internal from external and get into long intellectual discussion designed to distill and separate this stuff out....he simply says...dude just train and go with it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #57
Charlie
 
Charlie's Avatar
Location: Elgin, IL
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 165
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
...Sorry about that, didn't mean to make it seem like I was coming down on you, I'm not...
Sorry dude, I was crabby yesterday! Must be 'cause my birthday was on the 9th and I am moving ever closer to the "old" side [wink wink nudge nudge to those of you from the baseline thread].

Charlie B.

Charles Burmeister
Aikido Yoshinkan Yoseikai

"Calmness is trust in action"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #58
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
In Mike Sigman's defense, he will acknowledge that what he isolates out is simply exercises to help someone reach a deeper understanding of the internal dynamics. This I have no issue with what-so-ever. This I believe is the value of aikido.

I do have issue with those that profess they have a deeper martial understanding and proceed to say, "I don't get it". It could be that I don't..certainly I can learn and don't know everything. I don't think I am that far off though.
Hi Kevin:

Well, it remains to be seen whether you are that far off, I think. Realize on the other hand that I and a number of other martial artists have had extensive training, exposure, real fights, time on the mat, etc., and the other side of your implication is that we don't understand the "real world" as well as you do. I'd dispute that.

Also, this is kind of redundant in a way because I posted the URL pointing to Germany's biggest MMA guy's forum comment that this type of strength usage was not something he was familiar with, after all. It's on the Kampfkunst board.
Quote:
What I really have issue with is the realitive value of this limited and theorectical training. Even Mike concedes that Tito Ortiz would probably mop up the floor with a 105 lb China man.
Sure, and my kid sister could have kicked O-Sensei's butt when he was in his mid-80's, so O-Sensei's "ki" was of no real value, right? My point was simply that this stuff is in the real world, not that it had no real value, so it was not a "concession", as you term it.
Quote:
However, Did I simply misunderstand you Dan when I quoted you above. You are proposing that a internalist that "gets it" can control and externalist that doesn't get it.
All things else being reasonably equal, I'd agree with Dan. If there is some big disparity between the players, then you'd have to study the variables. I.e., it's common sense, not a blanket putdown, although Dan sometimes is a bit broad in his comments.
Quote:
Yes I'd by that in the sense that I have been with Tai Chi guys that are much better at me in Tai Chi....however, when we take down the rules, they have never been able to show me where their so called years of martial training are superior to mine.

Does it help me? yes...I have learned much from them and from aikido.

Does it mean that they get it" more than I martially...NO not at all.

My buddy and pro MMA fighter and trainer, Steve Van Fleet, is about the only guy I have ever met that has demonstrated proficiency in things like Tai Chi and can apply those skills in a full NHB situation. He does not talk in special mumbo jumbo about separating out internal from external and get into long intellectual discussion designed to distill and separate this stuff out....he simply says...dude just train and go with it.
Kevin... think how many westerners are doind bogus Aikido, bogus karate, bogus Tai Chi, etc., etc., etc. Finding out real "how to" information, not just forms and "applications", is extremely hard to do in Taiji and other arts. It's like a great big Scavenger Hunt. I'll bet you've never really met anyone who does real Taiji. I think I suggested before that if you want to have some fun, go to the next workshop in Germany when one of the big-boys come. It will give you an inkling of why us know-nothings have decided this ki-skills stuff is worth chasing down.

Best.

Mike
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #59
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Location: Stuttgart, Baden Wurttemberg
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
Germany
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Mike never meant to imply that you that you do not understand "the real world". In fact I have had very little issue with what you have said or have proposed in the past, other than I tend to place a slightly different value on the realitive importance in terms of martial ability.

My flag or interest goes up with Dan's comments I quoted.

Fankly I don't understand what he really means by internalist or externalist. Skill is skill.

But the implication is there, and I say...this. Okay, you put it out there. So lets go!

No doubt it would be fun working with Ark from what I can see on the videos. No doubt I'd learn something. I even think Dan can, teach me somethng I don't know, as well as you.

I have no issue with KI skills, infact I talk about them daily and demonstrate how to apply them in training in my limited knowledge. I know of no other way to describe connecting your breathing, kokyu, movement of hips, using your power from your base/ground.

Maybe the issue is that I do get it, and I simply don't have the level of theorectical or descriptive knowledge that you do, or understand, or can isolate them to the degree that you do.

who knows. only way to find out is to train and through touch and feel.

However, when Dan makes some of the statements, which to me are pretty darn bold claims on occasion.

implying or illuding to some sort of elite club of people that get it, and those that don't on the outside, and people that say they do...but then can't demonstrate it, can only demonstrate it in a controlled environment....labels like internalist, externalist, I can feel it, I can tell if someone gets it just from touching them...all that...it is fine.....if it make you feel good and helps you grasp things.

Make a claim, then I say, show me the jin!

I can roll, grapple or fight with someone in a non-compliant manner and tell if they get it or not in a couple of minutes. it is pretty simple in my book.

That is all I am saying.

BTW, I have doubted every instructor I have ever studied under and they have demonstrated to me what they said they could do. My last one kicked my ass...repeatedly...and now I am his student.

Maybe the same thing will happen if I ever get with Dan or you

That is how I learn.

It isn't personal, or I try not to make it that way. I geniunely want to be shown that there is indeed something special that is above and beyond what I have been shown....AND it is of such magnitude that it warrants all the attention and concentration and isolation from a martial perspective.

Martial perspective that is. Not philosophical, not yoga perspective, or chakras, or enlightment, ki or anything else....simply martial perspective.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #60
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Location: Stuttgart, Baden Wurttemberg
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
Germany
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Mike,

I was just thinking. I do believe that there are more people out there that get it than you guys sometimes give credit to. Many of the BJJ black belts I have rolled with get it quite a bit I think.

I think the difference lie in that concept we either love or hate...and that is aliveness.

I mean how can you really understand ki, kokyu and all this if you simply practice basic waza or the equivilant of kata all the time?

I can roll with like 40 novice students in my combatives class, one after the other for over an hour, dominating and submitting them...most of them 20 years old...21 years my younger and gassing out from using strength...yet my heart rate will barely go over 120, and I am not hardly breaking a sweat. I go with the flow, control them, move around, redirect their energy, take them down paths, influence their motion...etc..

What would you call that? It is not using strength, or speed.

I believe it is the equivilant of what you call internal.

It is something all decent BJJ advanced blue, purple, brown and blackbelts can do and demonstrate.


At the same time, I don't do very well at push hands, and you'd probably crush me in push hands as it is not something I have done much or have had a good teacher to work with on it.

Does the fact that I can't play in the realm of push hands mean I don't get it?

Or that I simply have not developed skills at that range?

I don't believe it is fair to judge someone getting it or not simply because they cannot do the exercises that you do...there is a spectrum and perspective invovled.

That said, I agree, there are many schools and teachers out there that are teaching garbage, and professing to understand things that they cannot demonstrate or do without the parameters of control and constraint that they create around themselves to protect their image or reputation.

It is easy to do this when you remove the aliveness aspect out of the training.

For those that don't understand. Aliveness is not about MMA or kicking or punching necessarily. It is about training in a way of non-compliance that is non-cooperative, yet cooperative in the spirit of learning.

In aliveness training, it quickly is apparent who knows what, and what they can teach, and where their weaknesses are in training.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #61
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Location: Stuttgart, Baden Wurttemberg
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
Germany
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Sorry guys...just realized that myself, and the regular crowd have yet once again, hijacked a thread over this stuff.

I appologize. Mike lets split this off into a different thread okay?

Related to rowing in an indirect way...but it ain't about rowing any longer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #62
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
I have no issue with KI skills, infact I talk about them daily and demonstrate how to apply them in training in my limited knowledge. I know of no other way to describe connecting your breathing, kokyu, movement of hips, using your power from your base/ground.
Well, the jin thing is somewhat related to what you're talking about, but it's like the difference between a laser-beam and an Eveready flashlight. You're talking about light in both of them, but the laser is very much more focused and has more possibilities. However, if you've never seen a laser and the description sounds a lot like the flashlight you know, and all your friends have flashlights just like yours, then you're going to think the laser guy is over-hyping his flashlight.
Quote:
However, when Dan makes some of the statements, which to me are pretty darn bold claims on occasion.
That Dan... he's a caution, ain't he?
Quote:
Martial perspective that is. Not philosophical, not yoga perspective, or chakras, or enlightment, ki or anything else....simply martial perspective.
Well, if something doesn't have a practical application, I'm not interested in it. And frankly, if you really dig into the chakras, kundalini, ki, etc., stuff, it all came from something very practical that is related to the qi/ki stuff. I didn't understand that for years and I'm going to save you a little time by telling it to you. Those ancient people didn't have TV's, but they did get into body technology and it was based on some strange but *real* things the body can do. And they tossed in a lot of garbage into it, too, but that's quibbling.

Mike
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #63
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Sorry guys...just realized that myself, and the regular crowd have yet once again, hijacked a thread over this stuff.

I appologize. Mike lets split this off into a different thread okay?

Related to rowing in an indirect way...but it ain't about rowing any longer.
Up to you on the thread thing, Kevin. However, I'll bet what we're talking about, my "ki" versus what you call "ki", can be demonstrated very clearly in the rowing exercise alone. And if the guy who started the thread does the rowing exercise wrong, without using the jin/kokyu that "our side" is talking about, he's wasting his time, in terms of trying to do Aikido the way Ueshiba, Tohei, Abe, and others do/did it.

Regards,

Mike
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #64
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Location: Stuttgart, Baden Wurttemberg
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
Germany
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Good analogy on the laser thing Mike. I like that. it helps.

I am all about the chakra, yoga thing btw. Doing BJJ it has become even more apparent to me of the importance.

I have a bad back with degenerative disk disease exacerbated from burning into a DZ three years ago on a jump. I can no longer run, and I am now relegated to elipticals machines and my iPod. I run more than a couple of miles and my left leg goes lame and my foot goes numb.

I can however, do BJJ with NO issues whatsoever. Why is that? Because I can control my alignment, and I do so very keenly. I actually have begun to believe my injury is a gift as it reminds me constantly to align and move correctly.

Yes rowing done correctly is related to all this...and I agree in retrospect that the thread is really getting into the importance and criticality of doing it correctly...although very little discussion cept for Dennis Hooker's excellent post on how to do it, which I learned something I never knew about it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #65
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Kevin
Its Tues. and I train. I'll have to respond later.
One of the keys to my broad statements is that I talk about two different topics-sometimes combined into one.
1. Internal skills
2. MMA skills
They are two different things in that you can; practice internal skills and really not give a hoot about fighting, you can practice MMA and not give a hoot about Internal skills.
The two together are a potent combination. Yes, I am confident. For a reason. But, try and remember I have also said repeatedfly that no one and no thing is unstoppable.and no one here is an expert. In the end internal against internal is fun but the end result can be skewed by excellent fighting skills. Fightng skills against fighting skills can be skewed by good structure. Someone may be better at the internal skills but not the fighting skills. Some may be better at fighter but still working on improving the internal skills. God bless the guys trying to do both.
Its just the way of it.
Mike's Tito Ortiz example is my argument-has been for years when I talk about MMA. What is more fun to discuss is the idea of Tito or Chuck with internal skills. Anyone who has trained in these skills who has also been mixing it up and using them has an edge.
Stop thinking I am saying who-is-better-than-who?
I am questioning whether "you can be better than you."
That's the thrust of what I have told you and others in the past. It isn't a game of one upmanship. If I meet anyone better at each individual skill set or at at combining these skills, or just in the way to use these skills in training-I'm all ears. I think its great. Its about the work not the people.
Again there are no experts here. But, fair is fair, if someone doesn't know these skills, they don't know them. I don't see saying that to anyone as demeaning. In fact why care about them at all? If folks think the'yre not important, or important to their field of study.....fine by me. Hit the ignore button. For those who have come out to meet and feel. It appears they-for some strange reason- end up agreeing WITH me not against me.
Strange isn't it?
And if I may belabor the point by saying it yet again. It isn't about me, Mike, Rob, Ark, Gernot, Ignatious or anyone esle. It's about the work and the skills.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-13-2007 at 04:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 AM   #66
Alec Corper
 
Alec Corper's Avatar
Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Location: Wapenveld
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 256
Netherlands
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

That sums it up very nicely. Its not necessary to argue "or" when the answer has to be "and". I have practiced, and still practice, what can be called internal and external arts, but these are invented terms to describe a loss of knowledge in both directions. Internal training, even if it is pure standing, demands high level exertion of the skeletal and muscular structures, as well as constant reeducation of the nervous system, very physical but monitored by the mind. External training, done properly, requires great mental attention to the subtleties of balance leverage, etc (already beaten to death in the baseline Skills thread). If these trainings converge naturally you have a superior fighter. I also believe that most of the top MMA guys have developed the internal components naturally through combat, which does not mean that most of them would not jump on anything that improved their skill.

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #67
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
I was just thinking. I do believe that there are more people out there that get it than you guys sometimes give credit to. Many of the BJJ black belts I have rolled with get it quite a bit I think.

I think the difference lie in that concept we either love or hate...and that is aliveness.

I mean how can you really understand ki, kokyu and all this if you simply practice basic waza or the equivilant of kata all the time?

I can roll with like 40 novice students in my combatives class, one after the other for over an hour, dominating and submitting them...most of them 20 years old...21 years my younger and gassing out from using strength...yet my heart rate will barely go over 120, and I am not hardly breaking a sweat. I go with the flow, control them, move around, redirect their energy, take them down paths, influence their motion...etc..

What would you call that? It is not using strength, or speed.

I believe it is the equivilant of what you call internal.

It is something all decent BJJ advanced blue, purple, brown and blackbelts can do and demonstrate.


At the same time, I don't do very well at push hands, and you'd probably crush me in push hands as it is not something I have done much or have had a good teacher to work with on it.

Does the fact that I can't play in the realm of push hands mean I don't get it?

Or that I simply have not developed skills at that range?

I don't believe it is fair to judge someone getting it or not simply because they cannot do the exercises that you do...there is a spectrum and perspective invovled.

That said, I agree, there are many schools and teachers out there that are teaching garbage, and professing to understand things that they cannot demonstrate or do without the parameters of control and constraint that they create around themselves to protect their image or reputation.

It is easy to do this when you remove the aliveness aspect out of the training.

For those that don't understand. Aliveness is not about MMA or kicking or punching necessarily. It is about training in a way of non-compliance that is non-cooperative, yet cooperative in the spirit of learning.

In aliveness training, it quickly is apparent who knows what, and what they can teach, and where their weaknesses are in training.
Hi Kevin:

Some of what you're posting and what others post boils down, IMO, to this type of statement: "I don't fully understand what you're talking about but here's my version of ki and kokyu so we are agreeing to some extent about ki and kokyu". I just don't agree and I've already posted about people who use the "buzzwords".

I simply disagree with that. Let's wait until we meet or until you meet some unquestionably bona fide "internal" style teacher like CXW, etc. Once you begin to glimpse the depths of this stuff, you begin to realize that there is an extreme difference, not some vague difference. No one who really understands the different development paths of "internal arts" versus the ki/kokyu development paths of "external arts" (which Aikido leans more toward) is going to mix up the two. Anyone who really understands the difference is not going to agree that "aliveness", "good structure", and things like that are the same things, either. It's different.

There's a logic that can't be escaped. For instance, (I'll re-tell this story) one time I met a guy in a park (I had never met him before) and he wanted to push hands. We did. He had no jin/qi, but relied on some muscle, some technique, some "rollback", whatever, and I'm sure that in a safe, restricted "push hands" format he could out-wrestle a lot of people and therefore claim that his "Tai Chi" was validated. He had not idea what jin was.

When we were done, he asked me if I'd watch his form and offer some corrections and I told him that I didn't have to because it was obvious that he was doing his forms wrong since he had no jin. If he had been doing his forms correctly, then logically he would have had some jin. It's inescapable.

Yet this guy talked about qi, jin, and all the buzzwords and he was sure that he understood them. But he had no results, did he?

This is what I meant by posting the other day that at the basic level of kokyu/jin discussion we've been having on this forum, anyone who can even do these things basically should have been able to say "aha" and easily join in. Yet look at the difficulty and debates that keep arising.... while at the same time people continue to talk about "ki" and "kokyu" as if it's meaningless that they couldn't fully grok what we were talking about.

It gets crazy.

Mike
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #68
MM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,996
United_States
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I simply disagree with that. Let's wait until we meet or until you meet some unquestionably bona fide "internal" style teacher like CXW, etc. Once you begin to glimpse the depths of this stuff, you begin to realize that there is an extreme difference, not some vague difference. No one who really understands the different development paths of "internal arts" versus the ki/kokyu development paths of "external arts" (which Aikido leans more toward) is going to mix up the two. Anyone who really understands the difference is not going to agree that "aliveness", "good structure", and things like that are the same things, either. It's different.
Mike
From a personal experience, I definitely agree with this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #69
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

Of course, Dan's major point is that it's better not to be gotten in a technique to the point where it breaks the structure enough to force you to fall, but as Mike said somewhere, it's realistically a sliding scale. You can develop great abilities, but so can the other guy and there's a point where size and strength, combined with skill and technique, can overcome us.
David Orange....


Well, not really my major point at all.
Of course anyone can be gotten, what does that have to do with my "points?"
My points are
1. What or how are you training to avoid or greatly reduce the chances of -being- gotten?
2. What skills are you training to CHANGE the way your body reacts.......... when it IS gotten.
And those are two very different topics that tie togehter nicely.

And for what its worth, playing with someone who might be able to "move you" is whole different story than playing with someone who can't cause you to lose your feet and fall down. The difference will be a trained connected body and the way ti both carries itself and the way -it- responds to forces.
Then you can talk how that training effects everything you "are." In other words in all that you do. It is re-training your entire system. Its not about fighting. Thats just another thing you ask it to do.
Cheers
Dan
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #70
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Location: Stuttgart, Baden Wurttemberg
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
Germany
Offline
Re: rowing exersize

No problem Mike, I hope to link up an train with you. I also do not doubt that I can learn from you.

However, I evaluate from a martial standpoint period. I am interested in learning how these things apply in non-compliant situations and fully expect to have these skills demonstrated in this manner. I am not talking punches and kicks...we can eliminate those as I don't see the since in these things as they become a distraction to training in these situations.

I am not about buzzwords, or theory, but about doing.

Push hands is fine, and a good learning tool, just like iriminage, or kokyu tanden ho...all good tools for learning to feel these things.

Nothing wrong if your pursuit is to better understand this stuff on a practiced theory level.

I am interested in someone that can demonstrate a fairly full range of martial skill.

Not because I feel you have ANY reason or need to prove yourselves to me to validate your abilities....but it is in these situations that these skills are of value to me.

I still suspect in these situations I would probably walk away and say...mmmm no difference from anything I have felt when rolling with guys like Roberto Traven, Jacare Cavalcanti, Steve Van Fleet, Bull Shaw, or Ruddolfo Amaro. Any of the above that I have trained with and I got the WOW factor when training with them...there was definitely something there!

As you say...they only way to know is to get together and train. Not sure if you guys train the same way I do, from the same perspective in these situations.

Again, also NOT saying that I would not learn from you even if we didn't train this way.

Simply trying to communicate the criteria upon which I typically view things from.

Thanks Dan and Mike once again for your post and explainations.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rowing for Beauty/Dreaming of Mori Jory Boling Humor 2 02-11-2006 03:42 AM
Vocalizations for Rowing Exercise? dj_swim Techniques 12 11-16-2005 07:41 PM
Rowing and Aikido (and other sports?) opherdonchin General 16 07-18-2003 01:06 PM
Tori Fune ian General 21 06-13-2003 12:00 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate