Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
6th Kyu For Life
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, Oberlin Ohio. Utah Aikikai, Salt Lake City, Utah.
United_States
Blind Student

So, we just started a new beginner's class at our dojo, and with this group of around 15, we have a blind student. At this point, I have no idea whether or not he'll stick around, but assuming he does, does anyone have any advice or experience to offer for teaching and working with blind students?

I'm not sure how impaired his vision is. I got the impression that he could see a little, but not much. So far, we've had a sempai working with him during the whole class, but this seems like it may be a disservice to the other new students who ought to work with advanced students as well.

I found this other thread http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/archiv...hp/t-3572.html but I thought I'd revive the thread.

Peace,
Tom
Old 02-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Blind Student

I close my eyes a lot in judo/bjj training. As long as strikes are not involved I'd think he would do fine. Some of the most exciting judo matches are between blind people.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Ask Sara Parsons about training with limited or no vision. She posts here regularly.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States

I have never heard of a blind person practicing Aikido. I do believe there is a Judo Association for the blind.
My Aikido club meets at a Tae Kwon Do school that has a blind student. I believe she is "legally blind" as opposed to totally blind. She has some difficulty, but once she figures out where you are she can kick the stuffing out of you. If you actually touch her, your in big trouble.
I can imagine that, although difficult, Aikido can be learned mainly be feeling. So you'll have to work with grabbing techniques so there is always a connection. Then they can feel around and execute techniques.
We do a lot of self defense with a blindfold on. But grabbing only, no striking. Try it some time.

Jim Mc Coy
Old 02-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom

We had a blind student (vision was limited to seeing as shadows in bright light) at my old university club. Once he became comfortable with what he was doing he had amazing musubi. He did not stick around more than a few months, he kept walking into book cases in the library and was eventually dragged home by his parents. If he had been allowed to stay I am sure I would have learned a great deal from him.

Vorsprung durch Aikido!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Philip Purcell wrote:
We had a blind student (vision was limited to seeing as shadows in bright light) at my old university club. Once he became comfortable with what he was doing he had amazing musubi. He did not stick around more than a few months, he kept walking into book cases in the library and was eventually dragged home by his parents. If he had been allowed to stay I am sure I would have learned a great deal from him.
You anticipated me hee hee. I was about to say that usually blind people have the feelings sharper, thus they might have more advantage in understanding misubi.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

When I first started training in Aikido at the Torrance YMCA about 1972-3 we had a female blind student (Pam) that was a brown belt. She was tough to move against-brutal grip with ki.

She may have been one of the earlies blind students in the states.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

Yea, there is a blind girl named Sara here!

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 AM   #9
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

We used to have a blind student train with us. He was with us for 2 or 3 years until he moved away. I believe he was about 4th kyu when he went.

He could take ukemi very well, and working from grabs was simple. When it came to strikes, uke would let him know when initiating.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes