Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-11-2007, 05:04 AM   #26
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: advice for those starting the journey...

Take your time and enjoy the view

Concentrate on the aspects you find most interesting for you (be it physical or spiritual) but be aware of your chosen path. Enjoy the learning experience.

Amir
Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #27
justin
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
Begin and keep an aikido notebook. It can be very useful to look back and reflect on these notes and first impressions.

In gassho

Mark

the note book one is a good bit of advise i have kept one now for two years and always find it funny to go back and look at the things that bothered me.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #28
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Gianluigi Pizzuto, you learned this after 4 months!?!?!?!? I've been training for more than 10 years and everything you mentioned still happens to me.

Get ready for the long haul...

Best,
Ron
As I said I learnt that for the first two days hee hee. Yes I learnt to rotate with my center without leaving my arms behind (like in a kotegaeshi) or leaving them on the side (like in a shihonage). But I also learnt that I need leanr to use my center in movements and blend and use the uke center...one thing at the time.
But what is really messing me up now is movements in cordination with uke. For example if I need to slide back when I have hold of uke I feel a real retarded, I lose all my relaxation and fail to make a simple slide.
You should see my perfect posture when I go in a irimi against a shomneuchi...a wonderful posture with elbows wide open hee hee.
When I practice "solo" all the movements come out wonderful (well in my poor judgment), but as soon as you put a uke near me it all goes nuts. Even before the attack I start thinking and now? What hand I raise? Which hand is in front? What side I enter? In what position I have to be after?...oops uke already attacked and of course I end up doing all wrong hee hee.

Anyway, a couple of suggestion that Sensei gave me and I think all new beginners should follow are....don't worry about the throw. The purpose is not throwing Uke, but learning the posture and the correct movements, coordinate movements with uke...and only later on work on throwing uke. And if you need to use all your muscles to do a technique stop and adjust yourself, because for sure you are doing something wrong or more likely you are in a wrong position/posture.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #29
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

A collection of tips I gathered and found useful for me and still follow them:

When a new technique is demonstrated, it's helpful to see the footwork of the first demonstration and only on later demonstrations pay attention to everything else. If you don't get the footwork somewhat right, then the hands movement will do you no good.

Even if you think u did something wrong while executing a technique, don't stop and start over - Making mistakes is a wonderful learning and experimenting tool as long as you don't repeat the mistakes and make them a habit.

If the person you're working with is attacking too fast / throwing you too hard, don't feel it's inappropriate to ask them to slow down and take it easy on you. Not everyone who trains in Aikido is the perfect empathic partner, and not everyone has a halo and a pair of wings; some people can be real jerks or very self focused and you don't have to put up with that.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #30
Wombat

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Southside Dojo
Australia

I have only been training a short while also. I find the frustrations only spur me on and make me love it more. There is some great advice comming out, thank you everybody.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #31
Daniel Ranger-Holt
United Kingdom

Yeah, this post is great please people keep adding. Im 8 months in and have only just realised what is helping me focus, if you will, is not to think of learning Aikido as having an end.

First few months I kind of thought like this...join club...years and years training...learned aikido... walk out..have self defence. Now i've kind of cut off the end bit...the "walk out have self defence" part, and kind of blended the training as part of something i will always do in my life i will never really get to the end of. Just working it in as something i enjoy doing, not thinking in terms of time.

I can't lie though i am still very impatient and get frustrated by myself despite being told by my sensei to enjoy enjoy have fun have fun. I hopefully soon will get out of that "damn it i must MUST do this right NOW" mindset. I'm getting better...
Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #32
Angela Morton
Dojo: D.A.N/U.K.A.U
United Kingdom

Remember to watch. I'm only a 5th kyu, and i've been out for two years myself, but watching is important. i learned to back roll through watching. One week i couldn't do it, the next week i was ill but went to watch enstead of taking part. Sensei was describing rolls, i went back into training the next week and just rolled. It may not have been the most elegant of rolls, but i had a grasp through watching that i hadn't had before. I'm rusty at the moment but i'm hoping it'll come back!

Also, i'm terrible at over complicating issues, so i'm told by the blackbelts. Try not to over complicate, even though over complication is really easy to do as a beginner (i see myself as a beginner because there is so much left to do).
Old 02-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #33
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

Practice. Ceaselessly, schedule permitting.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido of Northern VA Seminars - Doran-sensei in Northern Virginia, March 2015