Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom
any insomnia cures?

for near enough the past 3 weeks i've been getting 4 hours of sleep a night at best (my house got broken into, my room trashed and my laptop stolen, hello paranoia, bye bye sleep) which would be ok, except i have classes work, ju jitsu, roleplay, real ale society and to try and fit food, family and friends in some where, so yea, i was getting a bit frazzled from bouncing around on sugar and caffeine but i think i've hit the equivilent of zimmermans wall (i think that's right, i'm sure some pratchett fan will correct me if it's not) and i'm feeling fine on little to no sleep, i know i can keep this up for at least 6 weeks from this point but i'd rather not, so if anyone has any ideas for anything that will make me sleep they'd be greatly appreciated, one rule, no drugs of any sort, i don't like drugs, pills or doctors.
thanks in advance
Old 02-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England
Re: any insomnia cures?

The thing i have found helps best is two little words LAND LAW!!! read a book on it and hey presto sleep just washes over you, great on a night, not so good during lectures.

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
Jeremy Hulley
Dojo: Seattle School of Aikido Shinto Ryu/Seattle Icho Ryu

Valarain root has worked well for me in the past.
Make sure you have enough time to get a full 8 hours of sleep.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hulley
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club
Old 02-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Princess Rose

Dojo: Aikido of Northern CO
United_States

Just train so hard you can't help but sleep
Old 02-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Valerian CAN create depression in some folks so use w/ caution.
What works for me:
1. don't go to bed until I"m ready to sleep
2. no caffeine after lunch, no beverages during 2 hrs before bedtime
3. no reading or tv watching or computing in bed
4. really dark and quiet room
5. if not asleep in 1/2 hour, get up and go into another room to quietly read for a half hour/until sleepy
6. as much as possible, go to bed and get up at similar times all days of wk

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Krystyna McGurk wrote:
(my house got broken into, my room trashed and my laptop stolen, hello paranoia, bye bye sleep)
That sort of violation to your life lasts a while, Krystyna. It takes a little bit of time to get past it.

I can offer the thing I do to get to sleep and you can try it to see if helps.

Inhale through the nose... don't let the tummy necessarily expand, but don't necessarily exert to pull it in... and feel pressure build up in the abdominal/tummy area. Pretend that you're drawing the inhale through the fontanel at the top of the head and that it builds up that slight abdominal pressure. Exhale and feel the pressure/breath go out through your toes. Feel it warm them and relax so you can feel the stream as it goes out through your legs to your toes. Pressure. Toes.

If your fingers are cold, you can let some of the pressure go out through the fingertips, too.

I never get too many repetitions in. It's soporific.

FWIW

Mike
Old 02-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Krystyna McGurk wrote:
(my house got broken into, my room trashed and my laptop stolen, hello paranoia, bye bye sleep)
IMHO, sounds like possible post traumatic stress from the invasion/violation. You might want to seek out a counselor to deprocess/debrief the situation.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
stelios
Dojo: aikido dojo nippos Crete
Greece

Yes,try raki. The local alcoholic drink of Greece. When obtained pure it can reach above 50-60% alcohol. Have a glass or two and try not to fall asleep. If you cannot obtain it where you live I can send you some. Guaranteed results. Has been working miracles for the past 4000years around here
Old 02-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
Mike Grant
United Kingdom

Try reading Nev Sagiba on aikidojournal.com. That never fails to work for me.

Come to think of it though, counsellors can also be pretty soporific so the Californian approach may just be the answer.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, if everything was fine before the break in and so different after, you may find that what you are experiencing (or re-experiencing) has its seed in the event. Direct cause-and-effect interia.

Its not soporific Californian to debrief after an incident. Its what the military and law enforcement do to be able to go back out there.

But hey, its your mind and your life, carry it as long as you want to avoid it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #11
Cady Goldfield
United_States

If I understand correctly, Mr. Seiser is a trained psychotherapist and is probably the best source of information on this. I'd recommend considering what he has said, before just counting sheep at night. The other suggestions here are good techniques to practice -IN ADDITION- to getting psychological counseling for any potential post-traumatic impact from such an unsettling and violating event as a break-in, robbery and vandalism of one's personal property.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #12
Kevin Wilbanks

Take up crime. The stresses involved in committing crimes and associating with other criminals will be so great that when it comes time to sleep, you'll zonk right out. This is great therapy as well. By turning the tables and becoming a criminal, you'll empower yourself and come to see things from your intruder's point of view. Instead of viewing him as a threat, you'll see him as a colleague.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #13
Hogan

Quote:
Steve Mullen wrote:
The thing i have found helps best is two little words LAND LAW!!! read a book on it ....
That actually sounds interesting to me...

[Help me....Please, help me.]
Old 02-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
Taliesin

Steve

I think you are underestimating the power of Land Law - it could easily put you into a coma.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
heathererandolph
Dojo: Kokikai Aikido Boston
United_States

Raki? That's cute. Alcohol may not be the best for actually staying asleep. It's funny that I've heard so much about different cures for insomnia and rarely is mentioned the number one thing that works for me...exercise! If I get 30+ minutes of Cardio, not too late at night, I have no trouble sleeping or staying asleep. It's also great for stress and boosts endorphins. The best time for exercise to induce sleep is supposed to be late afternoon, though even doing it in the morning works for me. I'd also sleep well after Aikido practice. If that does not work, maybe you should get a prescription. Don't suffer too long!

Heather
Old 02-10-2007, 04:35 AM   #16
stelios
Dojo: aikido dojo nippos Crete
Greece

I trully insist on raki (Tsikoudia in Crete). If no additives/preservatives were added you get a nice deep sleep and not a hangover the following day. The stuff works!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #17
Mike Grant
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
IMHO, if everything was fine before the break in and so different after, you may find that what you are experiencing (or re-experiencing) has its seed in the event. Direct cause-and-effect interia.

Its not soporific Californian to debrief after an incident. Its what the military and law enforcement do to be able to go back out there.

But hey, its your mind and your life, carry it as long as you want to avoid it.
A story for you Mr Seiser:

An acquaintance was the medical officer at Lympstone-the Commando Training Centre for the Royal Marines. One day a very experienced senior non comissioned officer came in to consult him and said (I quote) 'Is this where I sign up for that PTSD thing sir?'

In other words, a lot of this is about compensation and if soldiers (even 'elite' soldiers) think that there's a pay out going....

Actually, there's quite a lot of evidence that PTSD was a post-Vietnam War invention by the US psychiatric establishment. Funnily enough, there's nothing in the records before then and it seems to have created an entire industry of 'therapists'.

My advice? Steer clear of them all :rolleyes. You Americans may love to talk about your feelings, but there's no eveidence that it actually does you any good.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #18
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry

Lavender oil sprinkled on a pillow or in your bed gives deeper sleep. Test yourself first for sensitvity and don't get the oil directly on the skin.
Works for me!

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 02-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #19
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

Quote:
David Chalk wrote:
Steve

I think you are underestimating the power of Land Law - it could easily put you into a coma.
Dave, thanks, I should have put a warning on it first, i forget that after 4 years i have built up somewhat of an immunity so i have to read more for it to have the same effect

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 02-12-2007, 03:28 AM   #20
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom

i've been to the counselling service and the long and short of it is "you got broken into, be glad it took them a year and a half to find you, they didn't take much, you'll be fine" and as for getting something on prescription, the docs round here are useless "you've been getting some sleep and it's not been over a month yet so i don't think we'll prescribe anything"
i'll try the valerian root, that and a book on landlaw seem to be the only things i haven't tried (except raki which is bad and wrong)
thnks for the assist
Old 02-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #21
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Krystyna McGurk wrote:
i've been to the counselling service and the long and short of it is "you got broken into, be glad it took them a year and a half to find you, they didn't take much, you'll be fine"
Sorry about that. IMHO, it sounds like you got someone who did not understand trauma or debreifing (not generic counseling).

Good luck to you. Sending empathy, compassion, and compliments for reaching out.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 02-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #22
Cady Goldfield
United_States

I've read that the "law" in England consists of forcing residents to remain passive when robbed, having their home burglarized, and other violations of person and privacy. Defending oneself seems to draw penalty, and there have been horror stories of constables not doing their job during the crime, and police detectives not doing their job after the crime. And given the structure of the British medical system, maybe it's not a stretch of the imagination to assume that the attitude of the psychological counselers assigned to serve "the masses" is equally unsupportive.

Still, I believe Krystyna should seek a better-trained and more astute counselor. There must be one available; through referrels or recommendations she may find one. There has to be some kind of support network, even in the form of women's (or mixed) victim support groups (or similar organized gathering) that meet at local community centers, etc. Not getting treatment, resorting to "self-medication" and fending for oneself, just reinforces the internal belief that "maybe I deserved what I got/I brought it on myself" and "I'm doomed to being a victim with no recourse." I'd hate to see anyone go down that slope.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #23
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

I'm sorry that your place got broken into. If it's really fear that's keeping you up, I would suggest empowering yourself in some way. I don't know what your situation is, so I can't make any particular suggestions as to how to do this...

Whenever I read a good Dean Koontz book I'll usually stay up really late. If it's a page-turner, I might not sleep at all! Having no sleep makes for a really bad day, but I'll sleep really well the next night.

Just get something done. Listen to some music, or maybe write a letter to a friend. Insomnia can sometimes be an opportunity.

Best of luck to you.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 02-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #24
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

Quote:
Mike Grant wrote:
...there's quite a lot of evidence that PTSD was a post-Vietnam War invention by the US psychiatric establishment.
Could you post some of this evidence?
IIrc the first 'ptsd,' to be well documented (though not called "PTSD") was the 'shell-shock' of English vetrans of WWI.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #25
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Mike Grant wrote:
Actually, there's quite a lot of evidence that PTSD was a post-Vietnam War invention by the US psychiatric establishment. Funnily enough, there's nothing in the records before then and it seems to have created an entire industry of 'therapists'.
IMHO, actually prior to Vietnam PTSD was called "shell-shock" or "battle-fatigue". There is a lot of literature that documents the effects of battle, especially on the un-prepared and un-debriefed mind.

You're right that the actual PTSD diagnostic label came later. But the "establishment" did not create the condition.

In fact they went out of their way (along with VA) to deny it. They were finally somewhat forced to recognized it and attempted to be of service to those of us grunts who could not figure out what was going on.

PTSD is a useful tool to understand what happens in the aftermath of a trauma of any sorts.

Please, if you have never been there, or faced that demon, don't comment and prevent other people from asking for help.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!