Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #26
graham

Dojo: Northampton Ki Aikido Club
United Kingdom
Re: I Need Aikido ?'s Answered PLEASE!

Hi Arthur,

Where I live you are just as likely to have a knife thrust at you or have a broken bottle swung down on your head, as you are to be punched or kicked. So, it seems to me that the attacks of Aikido might not be as unrealistic as they initially seem.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #27
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote:
First off...Hope this helps in some way.
Amir
Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote:
I was recently at a seminar where a high ranking Shihan was grabbed with a straight hand grab attack... Hope this helps to answer your question.

These are two of the most amazing posts I've ever seen on a forum.

I'm really no-one to say, but it's rare that I see so much wisdom.

Thanks.

On Aikido being used for SD. If you're looking for SD, there's courses that are specially designed for that. Aikido based courses.

Beyond that, the above posts tell all.

BTW: Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #28
Dragon Robert G. Kovacs

Dojo: Dragon Kovacs MMA Studio
United_States

Hello!
Remembering that there are several styles of Aikido, Aikido is, as they say, A self defensive art... Look for a Dojo that uses sparring in it's classes, As In, Real Combat strikes & blocks... Most styles of Aikido do not actually use spy vs spy contact... Tomiki Shodokan Aikido is a combative, contact martial art... Tomiki beleived in contact, which is what street fights come to, which is why he broke away from the pack, and focused on contact sparring, at the time, it was frowned upon to engage in combative, contact Aikido, Tomiki teaches us that in the real world, contact does actually occur... Look for a Dojo, that when you walk in, you see actual contact, If you train this way, when you happen to get into a situation on the street, your "Frog Brain" will react the way you have been trained to react, full contact without thinking about it. If you have to think to react, you have already lost, train to fight, when you go into fight or flight, you won't have to think about your movements, as you will instinctively already have reacted... Find a school that when you enter, you see contact, Tomiki Shodokan Aikido is a combative, competitive style of Aikido, many styles of aikido are not, Aikido is also a defensive art, not an agressive art, Tomiki Style Aikido is also a submission style of Aikido, as in the UFC championships, Remember when the UFC began, There were alot of aggressive fighters, then there was little skinny Royce Gracie, making the big bulls of the ring drop like fly's on bull droppings, it's amazing what a little leverage and a lock on a joint can do, Tomiki Shodokan Aikido, although uncomparable to Gracie, are very much alike when it comes to submission locks, whereas say, Shotokan Karate-Do is an aggressive stand up style of strikes, 90% of all fights end up on the ground anyway, either by a straight knock out, or by grapplingh to the ground, when it goes down, styles like Tomiki Shodokan Aikido stands up, Gracie in a stand up fight, Hey, On the street, boxing is for show, on the street, there is no bell, no ref, it's you, and you alone, I suggest, cross train in an aggressive stand up style, if you have great legs, take TKD, but if you have great hands, take An Aggreesive Karate style, but when it goes down, submission locks rule, Period. My best suggestion? Find a Dojo that when you walk in, you see sparring, either on the ground or up, either way, find a Dojo that teaches combative styles, if you fight in every one of your classes, you will learn to be a fighter, by ritual training, If your in it just to wave your belt around, join the local Y, I'll bet my life that, on the street, that black belt you earned at the local, non contact Dojo, will be in it's display case on your wall at the house, I can buy a black belt on Ebay for maybe $3.99, and it will sting if I slap you in the face with it, but on the street, When your belt is at home, it won't help you at all... When you BECOME the black belt, in a combative style, then you are a black belt, and it will show, even though you are not wearing it, it will shine through you... Become a black belt, don't just buy one, study in a studio or dojo that trains in full contact combative arts, if you train that way, it will grow inside of you, and become instinct, which is what you need on the street, if you are small, a combative style of Aikido will equalize your size, finger locks, wrist locks, watch an officer handcuff a suspect, notice that wrist lock? people do not like broken bones, broken bones will end a fight faster than strength or might, everytime. As far as a chopping motion goes, obviously, you walked into the wrong studio, as I have never seen a move like that on the street or in a ring, keep searching for another Dojo, when you walk in, look for heavy bags, lots of sweat, and actual combat, Secondly, find a style that works for YOU! Train to fight, and you will when you have to, several thousand hours of combative training will eventually end up within you, which is where your belt should be. On the Inside of your GI, not on the outside... I hope this helps you, AHHH, lastley, 2 hours in a class, equalls 4 hours on your own, get a bag, preferably a big, 6' Kickboxing, Muay Thai style bag, with a big bag, you will have full body contact, from your head to your toes, It is truly amazing what happens when you kick an attacker in the knee, sending it in reverse, or drive your elbow into someones head, Or poke them in the eye, on the street, you are not there to see how long you can fight, you are there to see how long you can live, THERE ARE NO RULES IN STREET FIGHTING. Remember that too, Hair Pulling, Eye Gouging, Groin Kicks, ON THE STREET, You either live or you may die. PERIOD. End the fight and flee, If it's a neighborhood fight, TRY to avoid the groin kicks, Hair Pulling, Eye Gouging, as many will cry foul, I Break Bones, That's my style. My fights end fast, which is the point, Put me in the ring and offer me 15 million, I'll go 15 rounds, If I Can, Put me on a dark street alone, and I'll break your bones, Poke your eyes, Grab your hair and drive your head into my knee, sometimes, I'll even run away, all situations are different... I Hope I Helped, By The Way, On The Street, Carry, A 4oz. Can Of Sabre CS TEAR GAS, RED PEPPER SPRAY, WITH A MARKING DYE, Cost Is Around $8-12.00 Available at www.BudK.com, It WORKS. PERIOD,
Good Luck & Walk Towards The Light!
:-)
Dragon Kovacs

Quote:
Arthur Capone wrote:
Hey Everybody!

I'm 32 years old, took Aikido when I was 12, and have recently been checking out two highly respected Aikido schools in NYC, watching classes and wanting to get back in it! I've been a fan of O'Sensei's writings, films, read Terry Dobson and George Leonard books, belive in the existence of KI, and have zero interest in hurting anybody and want to take Aikido to revolutionize my life, as so many people have said happens when they take it. I'm in it for the long haul. I have also read that long thread in here regarding how Aikido is supposedly not effective in a street fight, and loved and was educated by all of your astute answers.

OK, here's my question: I notice that most martial arts schools I have been to (Hapkido, Jujitsu, Kung Fu, etc.) all say that they teach "self-defense". If someone attacks you on the street, these schools say that you can "defend yourself" and/or "stop the assailants". These schools use real-life situational offensive strategies (straight punches, roundhouses, chokes, pushes, takedowns) for the student to DEFEND with the kata/moves of the martial art, as a result of this promise to teach self-defense.

I have been, so far, to two highly respected schools and watched 3 classes at each location. All of the attacks with which you are to defend at both schools are either a chopping down (like a sword) coming down on your head, or a chopping at the waist. I know that O'Sensei came from a sword culture. But why are teachers making moves like this in order for us to learn Aikido against when, in the real world, people DON'T ATTACK LIKE THAT!? I understand it's a spiritual martial art, but I feel like this is being TOO esoteric. Is this why Tomiki was invented?

It makes me hesitant to take the course. Maybe I'm an idiot. Maybe I don't get it. But while I want to dedicate my life to an art like Aikido, I also want to be able to defend myself if some guy or guys mess with me.

You guys rock! Set my verdant ass straight!

Cheers,

Arthur
Old 02-10-2007, 02:13 AM   #29
Aristeia
New Zealand

wow.

First of all I think it's a looooong stretch to go from tomiki to UFC champion - despite the much discussed simlarities between the *strategy* of BJJ and Aikido (which I agree with).

You've talked alot about the benefit of "submissions". I'm not sure I agree with this. Sure submissions are great, and a big part of both Aikido and BJJ. But at the end they are not the focus, of the arts simply the outcome. In fact the biggest mistakes I see being made in both arts is an over focus on submissions. In Aikido the focus should be on off balancing, blending and leading. In BJJ, positional dominance. Submissions are the icing that's all imo.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 02-10-2007, 03:37 AM   #30
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany

I agree Michael, these days, I don't even train my guys on submissions...we work on positional dominance out of which the submissions are very easy. When we focus on submissions, guys gloss over a bunch of things and get tunnel vision, they miss out on alot and typically fail and have nothing else to move on to.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:13 AM   #31
jennyvanwest

Dojo: Aikido of ME
United_States

Going back to original post....perhaps you've got your answers already! But I was going to add, I was equally interested in Aikido for a very long time before I started training. The only thing that answered my own personal hesitations was just to do it.

hope you find what you're looking for!

Jenny
Old 02-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #32
Angela Morton
Dojo: D.A.N/U.K.A.U
United Kingdom

i have seen people hit with bottles, i know of people who have been hit with bottles, in much a similar was to attacks designed for swords and knives.

i know someone who's had her wrist grabbed, i'm sure she'd have appreciated knowing how to get out of it. Why go in and block, when you can go around the side and get out of the way?

I know aikido at my level wont work, i just don't know enough. i think at a higher level it will.

Train and see what you think.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #33
Angela Morton
Dojo: D.A.N/U.K.A.U
United Kingdom

Quote:
Arthur Capone wrote: View Post
IN other words... I know that Aikido is effective if someone grabs your wrist, grabs YOU (all the Aikido I have seen first starts off with the Aikidoist grabbing the wrist or arm; it's much easier to do this when someone grabs you first, keeps their hand near your face threateningly, etc.), but what about dealing with a fast puncher, someone who hauls off and punches fast, which is what most people I have known do in a street altercation (or move their hand quickly with a bottle or knife in it)? Am I making ANY sense?
If you've only seen grabbing techniques, you haven't watched enough aikido. What about the techniques designed for avoiding swords, which can be used in defense against attack with bottles? We do sometimes train with a tanto (wooden training knife), so there are specific techniques for knife attacks.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #34
David Paul
United_States

My two cents on the best form of self defense-take up Muay Thai. Simple and easy to learn and highly, highly effective. Good MT fighters are destroyers. Of everything I ever studied (aikido, tkd, kung fu) muay thai left me in the best shape and gave me the best means by which to defend myself.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #35
David Paul
United_States

Quote:
First off, I have a comment that sounds very foolish at first, but holds some greater truth if you bother and think about it in some depth:

Aikido does not deal with anything. No Aikido fighter will magically appear if you are under attack. It is you who will have to fight for yourself!
That is so very true. In a real fight it isn't your martial art that will define how you handle an attack as much as it is you. Brilliant observation/statement.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com