Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States
I practice.......Aikido?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Why do some people add titles in front of their Aikido. People use all sorts of distinctions based upon what lineage they come from or who their teacher is. I see people all the time on this forum and others that have to make the separate distinction to say I train in Shodokan, Yoshinkan, Tomiki, Aiki Kai.....(list can go on and on) Aikido. I'm just curious why people feel as though they must make that distinction? For those who study aikido on this forum why do you think some people feel the need to add these distinctions? Do you believe it is a good thing or a bad thing to do this?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: I practice.......Aikido?

I do this fairly often. Aikido is a big tent kind of thing...there are lots of flavors, perspectives, and different traditions. Many of which are quite different from one another, but all still legitimate. I've found it helpfull to others and myself to be clear up front with my background.

Others get less confused when they see me do something someone from their style would NEVER do. I have fewer questions (very rarely fairly rude ones) to answer on the back end.

So I get right to it, and just let them know that the style/school I practice with might be a little different. I don't think of it as a good or bad thing. It just is. Some are all hot to change it...personally I like the diversity. It's why I train at more than one place when possible.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Gregy
Dojo: None
United_States

I believe it is the same phenomena that has happened with religion. Everyone has their own way of interpreting the bible per say. That is why you have different groups worshipping the same ‘God' with a different interpretation of what is belief.

Same for Aikido. Different ‘styles' of Aikido have their own interpretation of what Ueshiba thought would have been correct. Or maybe they are just putting their own spin on things for whatever reason.

The only bad thing that can come from it is that is polarizes people practicing the same art. All of a sudden "my Aikido is stronger than yours" and that's not what it should be about. They may be different paths up the same mountain but the mountain is still the same and everyone should be respected.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Keith R Lee
United_States

Quote:
Mindy Imbuido wrote:
I see people all the time on this forum and others that have to make the separate distinction to say I train in Shodokan, Yoshinkan, Tomiki, Aiki Kai.....(list can go on and on) Aikido. I'm just curious why people feel as though they must make that distinction?
...because they are all different?

Each type has different movements, teaching styles, techniques, methodology, focus, etc. People make the distinctions because each style is, y'know, distinct.

Keith Lee
Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States

Keith,
Allow me to clarify what I meant be that statement....I was mainly referring to those of us who chose to share that kind of information when it is not necessarily pertinent to the conversation.

Quote:
...because they are all different? Each type has different movements, teaching styles, techniques, methodology, focus, etc. People make the distinctions because each style is, y'know, distinct.
Just to be an advocate of the devil for a moment because I found your response interesting. If all these different "styles" are so vastly different how can they then be the same thing.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mindy Imbuido wrote:
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Why do some people add titles in front of their Aikido. People use all sorts of distinctions based upon what lineage they come from or who their teacher is. I see people all the time on this forum and others that have to make the separate distinction to say I train in Shodokan, Yoshinkan, Tomiki, Aiki Kai.....(list can go on and on) Aikido. I'm just curious why people feel as though they must make that distinction? For those who study aikido on this forum why do you think some people feel the need to add these distinctions? Do you believe it is a good thing or a bad thing to do this?
I'd say it isn't good or bad, in and of itself, but that there certainly are trappings people fall into.
I personally make such distinctions because there are different approaches within the Aikido community and sometimes I want to point that out. Shodokan, for example, is the only system I am aware of which holds competition. If I were making a recomendation to someone looking for that kind of environment, I'd make the distinction. If it didn't pertain to some point at hand, what's the point?
Possibly, one negative implication would be that it divides aikido, diluting it somehow. My original style of Aikido is more ki-society based, if I understand it correctly. I recently studied a brief time at a Shodokan school in Japan, and the two translated quite well into each other. The structure of class was different, but it was very much the same aikido as the dojo I attend here in the states...different approaches to what is very much the same thing. I personally like both methods, but not everyone does and I don't see anything wrong with that. Also, I think different people have different learning styles and preferences, and I think to some degree that distinction necessitates the other.
Take it easy,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mindy Imbuido wrote:
Keith,
Allow me to clarify what I meant be that statement....I was mainly referring to those of us who chose to share that kind of information when it is not necessarily pertinent to the conversation..
Oops...sorry...didn't see that.
As for the second part: how can there be so vast a variety of birds, but all with different names and colors and abilities? They're still birds, right?

Gambarimashyo!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Quote:
Mindy Imbuido wrote:

Just to be an advocate of the devil for a moment because I found your response interesting. If all these different "styles" are so vastly different how can they then be the same thing.

Er, the same way that umpteen styles of religion all callthemselves "Christian"?

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

The same way that with all the different races of human on this planet there is still only one race...human?

Best,
Ron (this could go on for ever...)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

or in the same way that Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors of...yes...the same thing...ice cream!

We can debate which one taste best, but in the end it is the same basic ingredients with the same amount of calories, and it brings the same smile to your face!
Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
or in the same way that Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors of...yes...the same thing...ice cream!

We can debate which one taste best, but in the end it is the same basic ingredients with the same amount of calories, and it brings the same smile to your face!
Hopefully some day the chocolate and vanilla camps will get along better and stop trying to change each other.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
...and it brings the same smile to your face!
And the same fat to your ass!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Mindy Imbuido wrote:
I'm just curious why people feel as though they must make that distinction? For those who study aikido on this forum why do you think some people feel the need to add these distinctions? Do you believe it is a good thing or a bad thing to do this?
IMHO, it isn't good or bad, just useful to offer additional clarifing information.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #14
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Good? Bad?

Mostly indifferent?

I think most people mention their style because they don't want people to be surprised by differences in techniques, ideas or training methods. IME, this can often head off misunderstandings before they happen. Seems like a Good Thing to me.

Some people do it out of habit. Probably indifferent in such a case, IMO.

There are a few who do this with an air of "my style is superior to your style". Take it for what it's worth, I guess, and get on with your training.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
DaveS
United Kingdom

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:

Maybe yoghurt would be a better analogy - then we could have endless debates about the importance of 'aliveness'.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #16
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Mindy Imbuido wrote:
You are absolutely correct. We are a big family, everybody should embrace fraternity and show no distinction. Henceforth everyone who do aikido should just call it YOSHINKAN! OSSU!

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #17
Joyce Lunas
Dojo: Kobukan Dojo

Quote:
Gregory Smith wrote:
I believe it is the same phenomena that has happened with religion. Everyone has their own way of interpreting the bible per say. That is why you have different groups worshipping the same ‘God' with a different interpretation of what is belief.

Same for Aikido. Different ‘styles' of Aikido have their own interpretation of what Ueshiba thought would have been correct. Or maybe they are just putting their own spin on things for whatever reason.

The only bad thing that can come from it is that is polarizes people practicing the same art. All of a sudden "my Aikido is stronger than yours" and that's not what it should be about. They may be different paths up the same mountain but the mountain is still the same and everyone should be respected.

I'll drink to that!
Cheers, mate, nicely put

or (to be closer to main subject in here)... Kampai!

Keiko!
C u around, maybe
Joyce
Old 01-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #18
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Good one David! I get it...aliveness....heh, heh.!
Old 01-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #19
Gregy
Dojo: None
United_States

Hey Kevin, kannst Du Deutsch?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #20
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

sehr wenig.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!