Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Talking Thanking your ukes after testing

Our area dojos have a tradition of taking one's ukes (after testing) out for a meal as a way of saying, "thank you -- the least I can do is replace the calories you've burned on my behalf." Sometimes it's hard for people to accept a gift in return for being your uke, I mean, since they volunteered for the honor, and may feel that that is their gift to you. So it's best to keep it small and consumable, if you feel the need to do anything at all - like buying them a beverage or something after class

Often, the idea is to "pass it forward," and be sure to take ukemi for someone else on the next test. We all contribute to eachother's progress, after all.

How do you, or those in your dojo, traditionally respond to this situation -- as uke or as testee? Is there any need to say more than, "Domo Arigato Gozaimasu," with a formal bow?

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 01-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Re: Thanking your ukes after testing

Our dojo tradition is that following a dan level test the successful candidate hosts a social gathering for all members of the dojo. The philosophy being that everyone in the dojo has been part of the candidates journey in bringing them to their current level.

It is also considered respectful to present our Sensei with a gift in appreciation of the work he has done to get the candidate to that level in their Aikido career.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
justin
United Kingdom

we just hit the pub nothing formal but all are welcome.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

we also use the traditional go to pub, buy a round, respectfully call the instructors on the panel a bunch of little darlings for putting us through it followed by the obligatory step by drunken step re-enactment of the high points using beer mats, bottles and peanuts (sound effects optional).
Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
crbateman

I used to thank my ukes before testing (and apologize in advance for what was about to happen to them).
Old 01-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
Jennifer Yabut

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States

We buy our ukes lunch, or a round of drinks.

"The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them." - Miyamoto Musashi
Old 01-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

I'm a broke student. I can only repay my ukes with some hard ukemi myself.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
Guilty Spark

United_States

Broke student

Most of the 'broke students' I've met are living off of 10 cent packs of mr noddles and hotdogs yet still find a way to hit the bars every week-end (and half the work week).

People are usually pretty checked out when it comes to this kinda stuff. If you're really hurting for money I'm sure no one will think any worse of you for not being able to dish out coin.

At my dojo after a test we usually go out for lunch and drinks. Trainee pays for the partners meal or a few drinks.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote:
we also use the traditional go to pub, buy a round, respectfully call the instructors on the panel a bunch of little darlings for putting us through it followed by the obligatory step by drunken step re-enactment of the high points using beer mats, bottles and peanuts (sound effects optional).
Ah 'nut waza' the longer you are in the pub, the harder it gets to do without making a mess.

We also retire to the 'local' for drinks, after just about every practice, not just post gradings. It is always nice to be able to buy your uke a drink/meal in apppreciation of their services though.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.