Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #26
Erik Calderon

Dojo: Erik Calderon's Martial Arts Program
United_States
Re: Ask Segal a question

That was very nice reading.

Thanks for the interview.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:36 PM   #27
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Gregory Smith wrote:
Why, Mr. Seagal have you let yourself become so morbidly obese over the years?
Morbidly obese? Hardly. He's gotten a little bit tubby, but there are any number of well known Japanese shihan who outdo him by far, and their weight never seems to get commented upon...

Best,

Chris

Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #28
Gregy
Dojo: None
United_States

I just find it interesting that his own senior students from his old dojo in CA did the research to find out that eating along the lines of a macrobiotic diet gave one more energy and opened up the lines of KI in the body.

And then you have Steven Seagal eating steak and eggs for breakfast.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #29
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Gregory Smith wrote:
I just find it interesting that his own senior students from his old dojo in CA did the research to find out that eating along the lines of a macrobiotic diet gave one more energy and opened up the lines of KI in the body.

And then you have Steven Seagal eating steak and eggs for breakfast.
Eating steak and eggs for breakfast (which I don't particularly see as a problem anyway) is a long way from being "morbidly obese".

And most of Morihei Ueshiba's students smoked like chimneys - and enjoyed steak.

Best,

Chris

Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #30
Cady Goldfield
United_States

I suspect that a good number of them tossed back plenty of sake and other libations on a regular basis, too.

But Seagal is always on the spot because he is a celebrity and a public personality, being a movie star. That will always leave a person vulnerable to scrutiny and criticism of a volume and level that less visible people don't have to face.

Last edited by Cady Goldfield : 01-17-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #31
Gregy
United_States

Seagal is a piece of garbage. He is not the wonderful icon you worship. In person he is very arrogant and a dick head. He is a liar, a cheater, a wife beater, and a criminal.

And by the way it should be Segal but he changed his name because of shame of his jewish heritage. Nutcase.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #32
aikidjoe
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido / Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Gregory Smith wrote:
Seagal is a piece of garbage. He is not the wonderful icon you worship. In person he is very arrogant and a dick head. He is a liar, a cheater, a wife beater, and a criminal.

And by the way it should be Segal but he changed his name because of shame of his jewish heritage. Nutcase.
While I don't particularly like Seagal (his acting is appalling and he certainly gives an arrogant air from clips I've seen) I'd like to know if you've had a personal experience or are just relating what you've heard. I have heard/read he had/has (I;m not sure which) connections to the mafia that helped him start his acting career, or something like that.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:23 PM   #33
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Gregory Smith wrote:

How did you get from "he's not morbidly obese" to "I worship him"?

Best,

Chris

Old 01-18-2007, 02:29 AM   #34
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Gregory, for what it is worth. I don't appreciate your language or comments. There is a better and more constructive way to say things.

There are better ways to say you don't care for someone, or their actions. I refer you to the thread entitled respect.

It is about the only golden rule we have here on aikiweb, and one worth following. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #35
Guilty Spark

United_States

Quote:
Quote:
I'd like to know if you've had a personal experience or are just relating what you've heard.
I'd like to hear whether you've had personal experience with this too or were you just repeating what you've heard online.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 01-18-2007, 07:19 AM   #36
Gregy
United_States

Yes, this is from personal experience. The reason that it is relevant on this forum is because
in my opinion he is bad for the art. I invite everyone on this forum to seek the truth. The art of
Aikido is about love and respect, two things that Steve continually has not represented
Old 01-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #37
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I have an idea. Why don't you do the following:

1) post a clip of the brilliant aikido that you perform, so that we can give your opinion the proper respect it so richly deserves.

2) post at least 20 character references from your instructors, friends and family, so that we can see how your perfect life is an example to us.

3) Go find him, and tell him in person what you think.

4) Failing that...cut us and what's his name some slack. We (I and Chris, at least) don't worship him, he isn't my teacher, so I don't have any reason to defend him in particular, and your behavior is appalling...does your instructor support your behavior? Why don't we invite him on to see what he thinks? Oh, I see on your profile it says "dojo: none". Hmmm...

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 01-18-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #38
justin
United Kingdom

Quote:
Gregory Smith wrote:
Yes, this is from personal experience. The reason that it is relevant on this forum is because
in my opinion he is bad for the art. I invite everyone on this forum to seek the truth. The art of
Aikido is about love and respect, two things that Steve continually has not represented

i would say he has bought a lot of people into the art who then stick around for different reasons that cant be all bad can it, cant comment on the other stuff you listed as i dont know him other than what you see in the press which doesnt mean anything at the end of the day.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #39
Guilty Spark

United_States

I'm a little biased on the subject.
Quote:
In person he is very arrogant and a dick head. He is a liar, a cheater, a wife beater, and a criminal.
My ex says the exact same about me, actually worse. Infact I have to go out of my to prove it wrong because she tells everyone she meets this crap and more often than not they unfortinuately believe it.

Again I'd be inetersted in how you can personally vouch for (or give reference to) him being a criminal, cheating and physically abusing his wife. Without him here to defend himself I don't think their very fair accusations.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #40
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Gregory would probably enjoy this video, and its two sequels...

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/seagal...channel_celebs

Old 01-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #41
chris w

United_States

Once, during a discussion about martial arts movies after class, I happened to mention that I thought the early Steven Seagal movies were cool. My fellow students reacted like I just said that I admired Adolf Hitlers early work! One guy even said half-jokingly "dont even mention that name in this dojo!" I dont get it. What terrible crime did this guy commit to be so disliked? He has a big ego? wow! What movie star doesnt?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #42
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Quote:
Chris Willenbacher wrote:
Once, during a discussion about martial arts movies after class, I happened to mention that I thought the early Steven Seagal movies were cool. My fellow students reacted like I just said that I admired Adolf Hitlers early work! ...
I suppose Steven Seagal is the public farce, sorry face, of aikido; and that is why people fear to acknowledge any quality in him. I hate the films; he's a bad actor and the techniques are either stupidly sped-up, slowed down or inappropriately applied. I think, unfortunately, proper aikido is not a martial art which looks good on film because bone-rending and snapping, massive kicks and super-fast complicated moves seem much more impressive. To me good aikido is very simple and often quite difficult to see what actually happened. Thus, what appeals to viewers will generally not appeal to a critical martial artist. Bruce Lee himself also said that most of the techniques he did on film he would never do in practise 'cos they were too flowery.

As far as his technique goes, I used to be very critical based on the film and some dojo footage, but I have seen some early footage with which I was very impressed with. I certainly believe I could learn something from him. Saying this though, I believe him to be a ruthless self-promotor and to make money in aikido from his fame rather than his ability. Indeed, one of his previous students contacted me directly to see if we wanted him (his previous student that is) to teach us; he wanted an obscene amount of money and his own personal bathroom (so as not to mix with the plebs). Basically, I can train with someone more renowned at aikido for less money, and with less ego; so why bother? Also, no-one I know who trained with Ueshiba remembers Steven Seagal. I don't believe he trained under Ueshiba, even though he may have seen him during training. (thus I believe he is bending the truth a little at the start of Nico - however, maybe I'd do the same )

Personally, I think there could be a better public face of aikido (someone a bit brighter with a real ethical objective and a bit more charismatic) - but they're all too busy training or eating lentils. Maybe its the film editors to blame as well.

Ian

Last edited by ian : 01-18-2007 at 12:25 PM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #43
Ron Tisdale
United_States

One question...what does any of this have to do with OUR training (for those of us who train).

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #44
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

P.S. couple of funny films

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/26555/...gal_sprite_ad/

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/seagal_deadly_time.jsp

(old dojo footage)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/94751/...th_dan_aikido/

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 01-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #45
Hogan

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
One question...what does any of this have to do with OUR training (for those of us who train).

Best,
Ron
Confronting our biases & overcoming them is part of our training.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #46
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Good answer!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #47
Cady Goldfield
United_States

[quote=Ian Dodkins]P.S. couple of funny films

I beat you to the atomfilms link, Ian! There are three "Steven Seagal Show" cartoons in all.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #48
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Gregory Smith wrote:

Gregory,
You wouldn't happen to be from the Corpus Christi or Gregory - Portland area, would you? I know people from that area who have had a lot of exposure to Seagal Sensei including my first instructor.
Jorge

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #49
Princess Rose

Dojo: Aikido of Northern CO
United_States

Has anyone seen the article in Aikido Journal about how Seagal has been named a tulku?
http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.ph...027&Itemid=244
I don't really get it. He seems like he is trying to pretend to be modest. It sounds really fake to me. From what I've heard (not much) he's sort of cocky. How could someone so into himself be a Lama reincarnate? IDK

Oh and has anyone heard his CD????? I mean wtf? It Sucks!!!!!! Like he's trying to sing blues and it's just bad.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:01 AM   #50
Guilty Spark

United_States

Rosemary whats a tulku??

With regards to his blues singing, to each their own I guess. I heard a few of his songs, they didn't sound bad at all to me. Of course blues isn't my thing so I couldn't tell good blues from bad blues.

B.B. King on the other hand complimented Seagal on his blue's singing didn't he?
Thats a pretty good pat on the back IMO.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!