Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #26
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi
Re: Who knows Karl Geis?

Sorry to hear of his death.

I read his "Twelve Winds" book quite a few years ago, and on the basis of it looked him up on a visit to Houston. He was very welcoming and friendly, and I thoroughly enjoyed a practice at his dojo. Seemed like a real gent and I was impressed with the atmosphere of his dojo and the attitude of those of his students I met.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
jcf
United_States

Karl Geis (1933-2014) was promoted to 10th with the consent of Takeshi Inoue Sensei and Tsuneko Miyake Sensei. The bylaws of the organization allow an aikido instructor to promote a student up to one grade below his/her rank. This fact was part of the reason Geis was promoted. Another reason was that he was qualified. No one could touch him in randori. I knew Karl Geis very well. He was notorious for his temper, but he was also one of the best martial artist ever, in my opinion. He developed the Tommki randori system, standing of course on the shoulders of Tomiki. In Japan, the Tomiki randori system was tanto randori, tori against an uke armed with a knife. He changed that to tori and uke empty-handed. I am not taking anything away from any other teacher of aikido, just pointing out part of what he contributed. He was personally asked by Tomiki Sensei to establish Tomiki Aikido in the United States. He was promoted to 6th dan by Kenji Tomiki in 1980. To be promoted to 10th dan was earned. Note that he was also promoted to 10th dan by the United States Judo Association in 2014 and that his teachers included some of the best martial artists: Kenji Tomiki, Tsunako Miyake, Yoshimi Osawa, Sumiyuki Kotani, Toshiro Daigo, Kazuo Kudo, and Tatsukuma Ushijima.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:04 AM   #28
aikidark
Dojo: Aikido at Plano Dojo, Plano Texas
United_States

I was just researching aikido dojo in Texas and came across the Fugakukai website only to learn of Geis Sensei passing. My thoughts go out to those who knew and trained with him. Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #29
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

My original Tomiki aikido sensei was Shihan Raymond Williams, and now that he has retired from the active instruction role (still drops into my dojo once in a while to frown at my people and ask me, "Why are they doing that?" to which I answer, "Well, you left me in charge and I messed them up, I bet."), and now I'm working out my people under Shihan Nick Lowry's bunch out of Oklahoma City.

Both Ray & Nick were direct students of Karl Geis for decades, and both of them, and all the people they have introduced me to who knew Karl (no offense intended by the use of Karl's first name, I'm an American-trained courtesy person) say that Karl was easily the most skilled and observant martial arts practitioner of any style they ever came into contact with, bar none. Eccentric, sure. But a martial-arts genius nonetheless.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.