Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #26
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada
Re: The Aiki way vs kicking someone's ass

Quote:
This will mean nothing to those who didn't to those who didn't watch the World Cup final.
I'm pretty sure that even the bitter old lady living across the street who hates Football has heard of the head butting incident.

Pierre-Olivier: I've acquired the rest of my required high school credits through summer school and Saturday school. (Parentally forced Saturday school I might add), and now I'm able to graduate a semester early to buy myself some time to work and save up for college in September.

(And to train of course!)
Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 AM   #27
Ron401
United_States

Sounds like you handled the situation fine.
I have been working as a "bouncer" since 1999 and am
constantly tested by people, namely drunks who are just looking for trouble
If violence can be avoided that is the best path. I tell myself, It's not a perfect world and Even the mighty river must bend around a few small stones.
Peace
Old 12-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #28
po_courcelles

Dojo: Agatsu Aikido de Montréal
Canada

Thanks for your answer Roman, I didn't know High School was divided in semesters like College.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
--- Albert Einstein
Old 12-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #29
ksy
Malaysia

Quote:
Ronald Shappy wrote:
Even the mighty river must bend around a few small stones.
Peace
a bouncer cum philosopher in our midst. nice one, ronald.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #30
Luc X Saroufim

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote:
At that exact moment I remembered that I do Aikido...that we don't do these types of things, that there are other ways, but I couldn't seem them.
i cannot see them a lot of the time either. inner peace is not only a tough goal, it's the ultimate goal.

in a different context, though, i wish i knew Aikido back when i was being bullied. in spite of its spiritual and peaceful foundations, i have no shame in throwing some kid's face into a locker if he starts disturbing my quality of life the way they used to.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #31
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Roman,

I'm just going to echo the other comments here: you did the right thing. And he may surprise you. He defended his actions at the time, but it's possible something your said may cause him to rethink his actions. He probably won't apologize, but you may have made a difference in any case.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:38 PM   #32
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
Unless of course you are Zinedine Zidane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinedine_Zidane

This will mean nothing to those who didn't to those who didn't watch the World Cup final.

regards,

Mark
Materazzi probably deserved it, especially if was true that he insulted Zizou's mother and sister....

You never ever bring someone's mother and sister into the verbal exchange (especially with a Muslim)... that's just culturally and ethnically ignorant and begging for it.

Ignatius
Old 12-19-2006, 11:44 PM   #33
hapkidoike

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
You never ever bring someone's mother and sister into the verbal exchange (especially with a Muslim)... that's just culturally and ethnically ignorant and begging for it.
Don't fool yourself, we've all got it coming to us. Every last one of us does (and I dont mean just a head-butt). That being said I dont think it would ever be appropirate to physically confront somebody because of whatever kind of crap they were talking, ESPICALLY political crap talk, which is what talking about Nazis is.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:15 AM   #34
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
Isaac Bettis wrote:
Don't fool yourself, we've all got it coming to us. Every last one of us does (and I dont mean just a head-butt). That being said I dont think it would ever be appropirate to physically confront somebody because of whatever kind of crap they were talking, ESPICALLY political crap talk, which is what talking about Nazis is.
I may be foolish occasionally, but I never fool myself...

That may be true, but you're obviously not familiar with Muslim culture.... as for Nazi's and anti-semitism... well, I'll leave that to Mel Gibson...

Ignatius
Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 AM   #35
akiy

Can we please move away from politics in this thread? Otherwise, please use the Open Discussions forum for such. Thank you.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:21 AM   #36
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
Materazzi probably deserved it, especially if was true that he insulted Zizou's mother and sister....

If you think talking of a Muslims mother and sister, is more offensive then talking dismissively about the Holocaust to someone whose grandparents lived through it, and lost their whole previous family there. Then I beg to differ.

But, as emotional as the Holocaust issue is to me, and as offended as I am from racism because of it. I still believe that so long as one is only talking (and not acting), the protest against his actions should be limited to verbal level, and not to the physical one.

And Zizou's act was only worse, since he was a role model for many youngsters.

Amir
Old 12-20-2006, 03:13 AM   #37
Princess Rose

Dojo: Aikido of Northern CO
United_States

Just like everyone else I think you did the right thing. The person who doesn't resort to physical violence always comes out the winner. However, I do understand how you feel. My senior year in high school (oh wow not even a whole year ago) I was involved in a group called connection club. It was based on getting to know and hanging out with the special needs students in our high school. I remember seeing a couple of boys in the hallways making fun of a friend of mine who had Down Syndrome. I was so mad. The boys were football players and my friend idolized them. I couldn't believe they could be so cruel behind his back. I wanted to run right up to them and punch them in the face. I never said anything but every time I saw them I felt myself feeling angry again. Then one day it just sort of hit me. A teacher who had taught a seminar at my dojo had once said that the biggest difference between Aikidoka and everyone else is that when someone attacks you and intends to hurt you an Aikidoka must take that energy and redirect it so as not to get hurt, but also give love back to the attacker so he/she also doesn't get hurt. By taking what they said so personally I was meeting the energy head on and nothing was getting resolved. I had to let it go by me and not get emotionally hurt by it. But I also tried the second part. It sounds really funny but I tried to love them. The best way to describe it was I tried to forgive them and understand where they were coming from. I looked at them as human and therefore far from infallible. By doing this I felt better about myself and about them. I don't know. It sounds really wishy washy mumbo jumbo but it did help.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #38
Keith Gotschall
Dojo: Yama Dojo
United_States

I also agree that you did the right thing... the precisely right thing. Your response shows maturity and courage. You did speak up for what you believe and stood your ground, that takes enormous courage. Fighting this jerk won't do a thing to change his mind, but you did plant that seed that might help him to see the bigger picture. It might be years from now, but it might just dawn on him that his actions were inappropriate. You did the big thing and let him off the hook as you say. but I think your words probably made a bigger influence than you may know.
Absolutely do not berate yourself over not pounding the guy. You didn't beat him up because you knew better, now don't start beating yourself up!!!
Well done.
Keith
Old 12-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #39
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote:
If you think talking of a Muslims mother and sister, is more offensive then talking dismissively about the Holocaust to someone whose grandparents lived through it, and lost their whole previous family there. Then I beg to differ.
You're reading WAY too much into it.

Ignatius
Old 12-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #40
Luc X Saroufim

sorry to fuel the fire, but a wee bit of information - in the arabic language, there is no F-word, but a parallel insult would be along the lines of a mother or sister. +1 for not going there unless you want to get smacked.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #41
Mike Galante
Dojo: Aikido of North Jersey
United_States
Cool Re: The Aiki way vs kicking someones ass

Bravo, you did pretty well.
Heres my 2 cents:

I find that whenever i get angry or feel tense toward others, it is because that there is something of the exact or very similar nature in me. It is like a law. So from my spiritual training, (including Aikido) these people can help you grow immensely, from a spiritual perspective. You may not be able to stand him for any length of time, and walking away is best, but if Aikido is really love, then follow the master and love your "enemy". Pray for him. That's the high road.

One day he may walk up to you and apologize! Never mind.

Now that's not easy.
Especially when you are young, and strong.
Keep mind in Tanden, and try to keep your heart open when confronted like that. I pray silently or mentally recite the kototama sounds to myself. Asking for help from above.
Old fashioned prayer.
God Bless, and happy new year,

Mike
Old 01-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #42
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

I always thought the circle of Aiki encompassed and completed the circle of kicking someone's ass.

Happy National Hangover Day folks.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 01-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #43
Mike Galante
Dojo: Aikido of North Jersey
United_States

LOL

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!