Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #51
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: Why are you here on this forum?

I train aikido regularly, if you call once a week regular. I notice that few of you post personal issues as I do, are argumentative, and are middle age yet low ranked. I may be considered by some to be a troll.

So, my very selfish reason for being here is to help heal myself emotionally and mentally. I've revealed some dreadful personal stuff, because keeping the secrets I did for so long cost me a chunk of my sanity. By causing you to be my confessors, I face the shame I hid from, and get back my sanity and my soul. It's a little unfair, as I may make you uncomfortable, but I think it helps me more than it hurts you.

Thanks for the training.

David aka billybob
Old 12-10-2006, 06:18 AM   #52
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Wink The Man In The Ice Cream Suit

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Man, you should see me in my little white ice-cream suit being deferential to and taking the opinion of "the correct way to do things" from all including a 12-year-old boy. It's great hearing all the opinions and listening to the instructor's perspective. But more on that later.
Oh? And why do feel that you need to act any differently at an in-person aikido seminar than you do on Internet forums? Why can't you just correct their erroneous beliefs in the same frank way that you do here, accompanied by the "no-suffering-the-fools" sarcasm when the person expressing the opinion is completely off the mark or, in your opinion, is a total buffoon? I'd think that even a 12-year-old boy should learn to suck it up and take it.

I'm wondering, too, why you actually went to a seminar of an art you no longer practice, and of an instructor whose operating principles seem at odds with what you now practice and understand. Especially if you had no intentions of correcting the problems. Film at 11?

Last edited by Cady Goldfield : 12-10-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #53
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: The Man In The Ice Cream Suit

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote:
Oh? And why do feel that you need to act any differently at an in-person aikido seminar than you do on Internet forums? Why can't you just correct their erroneous beliefs in the same frank way that you do here, accompanied by the "no-suffering-the-fools" sarcasm when the person expressing the opinion is completely off the mark or, in your opinion, is a total buffoon? I'd think that even a 12-year-old boy should learn to suck it up and take it.
Er... Cady... did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? My light-hearted comment was meant to be more of a reason for not commenting on the thread. If you want to discuss my adventures, you need to start another thread, please.
Quote:
I'm wondering, too, why you actually went to a seminar of an art you no longer practice, and of an instructor whose operating principles seem at odds with what you now practice and understand. Especially if you had no intentions of correcting the problems. Film at 11?
I actually had a good reason or several. First of all, and most importantly, I wanted to see/hear a Japanese-speaking American who had studied directly with Tohei Sensei, so that I could hear some of his idiomatic translations of what Tohei said and meant.

But it's another thread,Cady. Next time I get ready to go out of town, I'll check with you first.

Mike
Old 12-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #54
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Heh. I took the original post in the spirit it was given. Just given your more nearly 1,800 posts here, I had to wonder how you were gonna keep mum at an aikido seminar...And I did kinda wonder why you'd be subjecting yourself to such a seminar in the first place!

Sweet dreams.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #55
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote:
And I did kinda wonder why you'd be subjecting yourself to such a seminar in the first place!
Well, just be clear...... if I didn't think that I would learn something, I wouldn't have gone. I did learn something; in fact I learned several things and I got some ideas clarified about what Tohei is actually trying to say.

Same thing on this list, Cady. I'm willing to share information, but essentially, as I've mentioned to you before, I'm here to mine information. And frankly, I've learned things through conversations on AikiWeb and contacts made on AikiWeb that I came here without. That's why I "subject" myself to AikiWeb and why I post on this forum? You? Just saving people from themselves?

Best.

Mike
Old 12-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #56
DH
United_States

Probably same reason I went tu some CMA things.
Mike...to his credit... is doing research.

MIke
My real question is how did you do in deciding to take falls. Thats the part I have trouble with. I willingly take ukemi when showing folks how to do things to actually capture my center. Did most folks have that ability? Were you able to help?

I hope you had fun and hopefully the guys was teaching something valid in clear terms

Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 12-10-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #57
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Thanks for clarifying, Mike. Way cool. Just given your penchant for funnin' people, it sounded intitally to me like you didn't really want to go to the seminar and were doing it as a favor or something.
As for "being" here, for me it's pretty much because I enjoy the opportunity for discourse with people who are as passionate about their MA pursuits as I am with mine.

Last edited by Cady Goldfield : 12-10-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #58
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

The main reason that I post is to organize my own thoughts. By playing off the questions of others, I can discover the structure of what could be the truth of the matter.

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
...But, please do remember that this website is aimed at being concerned with the art of aikido. I would very much appreciate it if threads/posts outside of the Open Discussions forum be directly pertinent to aikido. Frankly, since I'm pretty dense at times, I personally would appreciate it people would be willing to make such a connection explicit in the threads....

Best,

-- Jun
Certainly the focus of this web site should be aikido. However, I don't see how anyone can seriously consider themselves studying aikido without looking at contemporary sports medicine. I'm currently reading Relaxation, Meditation, & Mindfulness. This is a mental health practitioner's guide to new and traditional approaches. At first glance this has nothing to do with aikido, but is actually an insightful guide to the "internal skills" that has been the topic of current discussion.

Perhaps the real question is, "Where do you set the boundaries of your aikido?" What is inside and outside your field of study?

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 12-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #59
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States

To absorb diferent perspectives on what this fascinating martial art is, to contribute in small ways on various threads, and to take care of the aiki jones when I'm not training!

-Will
Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 AM   #60
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

I'm here mainly as a reader, in order to immerse myself in Aikido and motivate me to learn.
I also use the blog system to keep a personal track of my thoughts and progress.

Thanks to various posters and article writers I've been inspired to double the amount of classes I take per week, and be more serious about attendance and seminars.

Aikiweb discussions surfaced questions like "Why am I studying Aikido" and "Do I think what I study is effective to that end" and "What really is Aikido", and finding the answers to these questions became an integral part of my training.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:18 AM   #61
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
Perhaps the real question is, "Where do you set the boundaries of your aikido?" What is inside and outside your field of study?
Wow!! Ted, that was a great one. If I may, can I add on the "Why" and the "How"?

Great to have "meet" all your guys (black, white or grey) here on this forum. Thanks Jun for the opportunity.

Best training,

David Y
Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #62
gdandscompserv

United_States

because i've been banned from all the other forums.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #63
Aristeia
New Zealand

Although I stopped formal Aikido training this year to concnetrate on BJJ - I still consider myself an Aikidoka. I studied for 13 years and it is simply an ingrained part of who I am. The BJJ I see as an extension of my Aikido and vice versa, and I have no doubt I will be back on an Aikido mat in the futre, once I've travelled a bit further down the BJJ path. In the meantime I enjoy discussing it and thinking about how it can be applied in various situations. My online discussions are split about 50/50 between discussing what Aikido is good for and where the limitations are, and trying to show the BJJ/MMA crowd that arts like Aikido have a lot to offer.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 12-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #64
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I found this link on AJ...thought it was applicable to this thread...

http://www.bujindesign.net/featured_...article_1.html

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #65
Mato-san
Iceland

I didn`t read anything ...only Dennis your post.......WOW you must be upset. I just want to say that your post must be supported by some big gonads!! But in all fairness people that come here to belittle Aikido should be served a nice Iriminage! But people that come here to discuss the mechanics and etc..... should be embraced!!!....sorry I did not read the entire thread.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:06 AM   #66
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I found this link on AJ...thought it was applicable to this thread...

http://www.bujindesign.net/featured_...article_1.html

Best,
Ron
Thanks for that Ron, a timely article that we could all benefit from reading on a regular basis, it's short sweet and to the point

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:47 AM   #67
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Quote:
Mathew McDowell wrote:
I I just want to say that your post must be supported by some big gonads!! .

Like cantaloupes, got to push them around in a wheelbarrow.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 12-14-2006, 06:55 AM   #68
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote:
Blimey Dennis, that really does create an interesting image of when you are doing aikido

happy holidays!

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:06 AM   #69
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote:
I'd like to hear your comments on MAAI...

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 12-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #70
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Well Don I think Maai should be used in Aikido correctly. After all appropriate distance is the key to a lot of stuff.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 12-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #71
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Whew. Thank goodness Dennis didn't tell his old joke about the dog... Though, come to think of it, it does sort of relate to ma-ai.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:56 PM   #72
Eddie Heinzelman

Dojo: Atemi-Ryu Jujitsu/Chendokan Aikido
United_States

I'm new and want to learn. I would hope that qualifies me to participate in these forums. I train a minimum of 2 times a week and will do 3 (that's the max the dojo offers) as much as I can schedule.

I belong to some other online forums (non Aikido) and there's the same bickering and back and forth there as well. In my hope that threads will be constructive and educational, I'm not naive enough to assume they all may be. There will always be people who criticize the art, but I don't think they are the intended audience of this website....besides, a couple kote gaeshi will straighten them right out (ha,ha!)

That's a neat article from Bujin, Mark. Thanks for sharing.

Eddie
Old 12-18-2006, 02:04 AM   #73
Aristeia
New Zealand

Quote:
Eddie Heinzelman wrote:
In my hope that threads will be constructive and educational, I'm not naive enough to assume they all may be. There will always be people who criticize the art,
is it your opinion that any criticism of the art, and constructive discussion are mutually exclusive?

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 12-18-2006, 06:29 AM   #74
Scott Gressel
United_States

I am on this forum as one who has an interest in "The Art of Peace". As a Christian, this is what Jesus taught. He taught that others will know that we are Christians by our LOVE. In the small amount of reading that I have done on Aikido so far (I am very new to the subject..not a practitioner), I have gathered that "O-Sensei" (as he is referred to) was very much in-line with Christ's teachings on this. I have studied Tae Kwon Do and feel, now, that neutralizing an aggression and restoring order is much more in my spiritual way of thinking.

I think I would rather pursue restoring Peace and balance to a situation than inflicting damage. You will have to forgive my ignorance, but can anyone suggest to me what "style" to pursue and where (since I am living in Ohio, now) that would be most in-line with what O-Sensei would have taught. Apparently there are some styles which some say are not consistent with his teachings.

My purpose for Aikido: To provide a way,when attacked, to restore balance and order and then communicate love and Peace. Remove danger from the situation, first...and then seek to understand.

Thank you,
Scott
Old 12-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #75
Eddie Heinzelman

Dojo: Atemi-Ryu Jujitsu/Chendokan Aikido
United_States

Absolutely not. I'm fine with criticism of the art and discussions around that as long as it remains constructive. If threads become personal or if the person criticizing is not open to opinions beyond their own or to discussing in a constructive manner, that, to me, would not be constructive or educational. :0)

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes