Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:08 AM   #51
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Re: Nonviolent Communication

Thanks for reassurance Peter - appreciate your care and contribution as an individual, and as you say, showing how one can lead and still have a personal opinion.

I chose to enter this experiment with you as you asked some hard questions, so would stretch me and NVC - a better demonstration than a partner who "jumps." Looking back it may have been overly brave/foolish (non-NVC judgments), but am glad there is no flaming as a result, and seems to have turned out OK.

Respectfully,
Mark
Old 11-16-2006, 05:34 AM   #52
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
Thanks for reassurance Peter - appreciate your care and contribution as an individual, and as you say, showing how one can lead and still have a personal opinion.

I chose to enter this experiment with you as you asked some hard questions, so would stretch me and NVC - a better demonstration than a partner who "jumps." Looking back it may have been overly brave/foolish (non-NVC judgments), but am glad there is no flaming as a result, and seems to have turned out OK.

Respectfully,
Mark
Hello Mark,

One of the reasons why I have become much more cautious in making definitive judgments about communication is that I have learned how to communicate in Japanese and I am always comparing how communication goes on in this medium with my English native-speaker intuitions. A very important point here is the fine and sensitive distinction made between uchi and soto (insiders and outsiders) and between tatemae and honne (public/official and private/unofficial, even in a medium like Internet discussion forums. By March next year I will have completed 27 years residence here and some of this sensitivity cannot fail to have rubbed off on me.

So one of the initial problems I have had with NVC is the danger of oversimplification of an exceedingly complex process. Communication seems so simple that even a child can do it, but so much is taken for granted in the process and there is always the danger of non-communication or miscommunication (and this is only at the level of transacting information). Since there is no face-to-face interaction, I think that the danger is magnified on the Internet.

Nevertheless, I do not think our experiment was foolish at all and I think we have both learned much from it.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 11-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #53
markwalsh
United Nations
Smile Re: Nonviolent Communication

Interesting distinctions Peter - thanks. I am somewhat jealous of a family member in the army who sends clearly labeled e-mails - Classified (red) or Unclassified (green). Very helpful. The subtleties of communication that Japanese culture is known for appeal to me (am a great haiku lover) to suggest is sometimes more beautiful than to state obviously. I also worry about them as I value authenticity, intimacy and clarity, and often my interactions with Japanese people have not met these needs. Of course I am generalizing a cultural trait here and so not wish to make a "blanket" statement.

I note that Japan and England are both noted for their poetry internationally, and both considered "emotionally tight" as one Brazilian friend stated (less offensive ways to voice this - perhaps that both cultures value emotional maturity or control).

Re simplicity - Reductionism in any system is a worry for me too. I've come to see the simple NVC kata of observations, feeling, needs and requests as more of a learning tool though. A comparison: We practice shomen-uchi ikkyo or kokyu dosa in a classic form to learn aiki principles that can then be applied to any encounter.

I've found that Internet communication is dangerous as you say - also interested that there seems to be more aggressive communication/misunderstanding on the net than face to face, and wondering if there are ways to reduce this? Maybe emoticons were invented to help :-) as they show tone and feelings. Incidentally 5 are "positive" 1 neutral and 18 showing that needs are mnot being met (eg angry, sad, bored) - of those available on Aiki Web.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:08 AM   #54
markwalsh
United Nations

Will kick start AikiNVC list in next few days - 21 names so far, with representation from 7 countries and 5 US States. Very happy with this response :-)

E-mail if you would like inclusion.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #55
Brad Pruitt
Dojo: High Desert Aikido
United_States

[quote=Peter A Goldsbury]

I do not think the IAF is set up to be a power-based organization and one of the reasons why I participate quite actively in forums such as this one is to show that it can be done: that it is possible to lead a large international aikido organization and also to be an individual, with ideas and opinions.

]
Old 11-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #56
Brad Pruitt
Dojo: High Desert Aikido
United_States

[quote=Peter A Goldsbury]

I do not think the IAF is set up to be a power-based organization and one of the reasons why I participate quite actively in forums such as this one is to show that it can be done: that it is possible to lead a large international aikido organization and also to be an individual, with ideas and opinions.

Peter,

I just wanted to say that I thought this was a great response especially the last bit.

Brad Pruitt

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!