Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #26
Carol Shifflett
United_States
Re: Concussion Recovery

Quote:
Jamie D. Ducusin wrote:
Funny, isn't it, how one's interest in the healing arts increases exponentially once they become interested in the martial ones? For myself, I'm doing my best to take it easy. It's been three weeks since the injury so far. There's a seminar coming up next weekend and I'd hate to have to be off the mats, so I'm still playing it all by ear.
Study and sensible application of the healing arts is one of the best self-defense techniques around, eh?

Meanwhile, I hope you're taking GOOD care of yourself and healing well and didn't give into temptation at your seminar!

Cheers!
Carol
Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #27
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

sorry to be late on this thread (a double whammy of thumb arthritis/wrist tendinitis reducing computer time) but Carol has it pretty well covered. only thing i'd add is to sort of semantically correct the person who referred to "psychological" problems. they are not. they are organic brain damage problems and the most important thing is for the person/friends family and employers to understand is that mood swings, temper issues, crying, concentration etc is NOT a psychological response, it is an organic physical event. in the first yr, patience and "tincture of time" is more important than psychotherapy or tellling them to snap out of it or whatever.
back in the mid 1980s when i worked in acute physical rehab (spinal cord injury, stroke, head injury) i realized there is a huge number of undiagnosed acute head injury cases walking around the world. one, because it is "just" concussion so nobody pays attention. two, because if, say, you were in a car accident and lacerated your liver, broke a leg, and needed your cheekbone and jaw repaired, unless the scans showed bleeding in the brain none of the docs or other med team was gonna pay attention to "minor" head injury. so all the symptoms of it for wks, months, yrs go untreated. my late coworker/bus partner and i used to play "spot the chronic head injury" game out in the world.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #28
Carol Shifflett
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
sorry to be late on this thread (a double whammy of thumb arthritis/wrist tendinitis reducing computer time)
Yo! Janet! Per those sword exercises you've done for years -- you HAVE checked out your brachioradialis, right? If not, please do so you can get back to typing!
Quote:
"psychological" problems. they are not. they are organic brain damage problems and the most important thing is for the person/friends family and employers to understand is that mood swings, temper issues, crying, concentration etc is NOT a psychological response, it is an organic physical event.
The fallout from a fractured skull and severe concussion included devastating fatigue, depression, confusion, memory and sequencing problems -- and a divorce as I wasn't ME anymore and the cutie at the office was much more attractive. On the other hand, I was exhausted by his temper and other odd behaviors, and angry that he didn't understand that the symptoms of TBI don't magically heal or vanish just because we think they should.

What I never considered was that he was injured too. Shortly after we married, and long before my injury, he fell backwards off a bike onto the concrete sidewalk, hitting so hard that fluid gushed out his ears. Of course he was "All right!" and refused to see a doctor. I will never know how much of his subsequent behavior was simply because he was no longer HIM. But I do know this -- I am the one who didn't understand.

It's tough tough tough to separate the purely psychological (perhaps the "nurture" end of the spectrum) from the biology, but it has to be done. As Janet says, these are organic physical events. They can include everything from ADD and reading problems to fibromyalgia, sleep apnea and twitchy legs at night -- to murder.

For some vivid illustrations of brains, damage, and deficits, see www.brainplace.com -- and please folks, do everything you can to keep YOURS safe. It's you, it's everything you are, and in the end, it's the only thing you've got.

Carol Shifflett
Old 11-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #29
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

Quote:
Fred Little wrote:
My observations:

1) Beer immediately after practice is a bad idea if you've just taken a solid shot to the head. Any beer at all.
I love this. it bings to mind the conversation

a: no beer, what about coors?

b: No, no beer at all

a: how bout a bud?

b: No, no beer at all

a: Aww really not even fosters?

b: no dammit, no beer at all.

FWIW I find that a hot bath and pleanty of fresh air is the best cure. So if you have access to an outdoor bath your set

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!