Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-03-2006, 01:51 AM   #26
RampantWolf
Dojo: Cork Aiki Dojo
Ireland
Re: Do Americans lack humor

Bringing it back around to humour... or lack of it. From what I have seen, read and heard it is not that Americans have no sense of humour it is just rather different from the British one. Living in Australia we were fed both American and British comedy shows. As a generalisation the American comics routines are hard and fast... joke - punchline, joke - punchline, joke - punchline while the British comics tend to ramble along with the jokes completing themselves in the middle of the story and continuing onto the next without much of a pause.

Different styles, both of which I can find amusing, of course there are some American comics I don't like just as there are some British comicsI don't like... but that's personal preference, nothing else.

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:22 AM   #27
Lee Mulgrew
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Noquet Hartlepool England
United Kingdom

Quote:
Chris Willenbacher wrote:
you brits need to remember one thing, we kicked your ass in world war 2 and we'll do it again!
That statement scares me on several levels!
Old 11-03-2006, 08:07 AM   #28
MikeLogan

United_States

Lee, it was a joke, a self-effacing one at that, poking at our dumbnitude.

Or am I now missing your joke?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #29
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

martial artists - destroying humour since 59 B.C.

[Disclaimer: this post is not intended to imply or assert that martial artists are without the ability to either provide or understand humour in any of its forms and the author of this post would like to apologise in advance for any unwarrented feelings of seriousness or thought caused by this post. He would further like to point out that any connection between this post and any martial artist (living, dead or practicing BJJ) is purely coincdental and no offense is intended to any lifeform currently wearing pyjamas and/or latex fetish wear as part of their chosen hobby/sport/spiritual path/lifestyle]
Old 11-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #30
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
You're right: Abu Ghraib, Baghram, Guantanamo, and tossing out Habeas Corpus are our ways of telling the world that "we care." If the Spanish Inquisition was human society's stumbling attempts at sick humor: you could think of extroadinary rendition as our attempt at modernizing the knock-knock joke, with a helluva "punch"line ("Knock-knock." "Who's there?" *sounds of a door getting smashed in* "'Sounds of door getting smashed in,' who?")

See...? You claim that we American's have no sense of humor; but we take our humor very seriously (just look at who we elected). When Bush said that he's a "uniter: not a divider," he was making his first steps in his valiant effort to mine the depths of irony.

Now, we will not sleep until we've steamrolled every single English word in our bid to "irony-out" terrorism! (see? We're great punsters, too!!)
Ah, crud.

Our government's bad nough, but now I've got Neil representing me on an international level too?! If we create another set of representatives called the "House of Smart-asses", he's got my vote for sure!

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 11-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #31
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

Quote:
Chris Willenbacher wrote:
you brits need to remember one thing, we kicked your ass in world war 2 and we'll do it again!
orgive my insufficient knowledge of the English language, but wasn't it us Krauts, that got the kicking, and the English asses you saved?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #32
Lee Mulgrew
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Noquet Hartlepool England
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mike Logan wrote:
Lee, it was a joke, a self-effacing one at that, poking at our dumbnitude.

Or am I now missing your joke?
very good! lol. I think. you were joking weren't you? You see, this is where it can get confusing this humor thing.

p.s. is dumbnitude a word from the American language? (i like it, must start using it!)
Old 11-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #33
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry

Where would we be without our sense of humour?
Germany.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 11-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #34
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
Ah, crud.

Our government's bad nough, but now I've got Neil representing me on an international level too?! If we create another set of representatives called the "House of Smart-asses", he's got my vote for sure!
Please! We're one step ahead of you. We're called "The International House of Smart-Asses," thank you very much! We make a mean Punster Pancake, if I do say so!

And, I thank you for your vote: I'll be sure to carry out my duties as your representative with aplomb and verve (not to mention a few OTHER cool-sounding words, as well).

No matter what we do: we HAVE to be better than those fellows over at Capital Hill, sleeping off their latest bender!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:14 PM   #35
James Davis

United_States

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
Please! We're one step ahead of you. We're called "The International House of Smart-Asses," thank you very much! We make a mean Punster Pancake, if I do say so!
Pass the syrup...

of ipecac.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #36
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
their latest bender!
Ah, if only Frank Zappa were still alive to write a song about it.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #37
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote:
martial artists - destroying humour since 59 B.C.

[Disclaimer: this post is not intended to imply or assert that martial artists are without the ability to either provide or understand humour in any of its forms and the author of this post would like to apologise in advance for any unwarrented feelings of seriousness or thought caused by this post. He would further like to point out that any connection between this post and any martial artist (living, dead or practicing BJJ) is purely coincdental and no offense is intended to any lifeform currently wearing pyjamas and/or latex fetish wear as part of their chosen hobby/sport/spiritual path/lifestyle]
And some they fell on stony ground Ian

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #38
Kevin Wilbanks

Quote:
Michael Meister wrote:
orgive my insufficient knowledge of the English language, but wasn't it us Krauts, that got the kicking, and the English asses you saved?
That's typical for a bunch of commies - trying to muddle the issue with facts. One of these days we will force you Germans to give up those little red books and embrace capitalism.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #39
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
That's typical for a bunch of commies - trying to muddle the issue with facts. One of these days we will force you Germans to give up those little red books and embrace capitalism.
Oh. it's not that. We are just so used to blame ourselves, and throwing ourselves in the mud, feeling inappropiate and guilty. We just can't let no other take the position anymore
Old 11-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #40
roninroshi

United_States

Humor? .....HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 AM   #41
Mike Grant
United Kingdom

They don't have a sense of humour and they don't even have a language of their own. Guys, maybe you could at least learn to spell if you're going to borrow ours....
Old 11-07-2006, 06:34 AM   #42
MikeLogan

United_States

Dumbnitude, invented implying the stupidity of something, and 'tude' implying the mental stance, or point of origin, (a plane's attitude, a teen's attitude)

Please forgive us ahead of time if it is plucked for use in a Shrub speech.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #43
Mike Grant
United Kingdom

Right on dude!

(Whatever that means)
Old 11-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #44
James Davis

United_States

I watched Shaun of the Dead last weekend. It was pretty funny, but messed up and a little scary too.

Like you guys.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #45
Mike Grant
United Kingdom

That's gratitude for you. Who else would have 'sexed up' a dossier on weapons of mass destruction so that you guys could go and 'kick some ass' in Iraq?

(If that's not evidence that somebody over here has a twisted sense of humour then I don't know what is).

By the way, will somebody please tell GWB that it's 'nuclear' and not 'nukuler'? Is he inventing a whole new language of his own?

(Once yo' got an aircraft carrier, yo' really somebody.....)

Last edited by Mike Grant : 11-07-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #46
Luc X Saroufim

Quote:
Michael Meister wrote:
or is it just incompatible with the old world?

Often, when I talk to my English mates, they mention, that they get serious philosophical answer on posts in this humor section, mainly by US Americans, though the original post was only meant to be fun.

So are we different? If you do feel the need to answer seriously, please do it at least in a satirical way
I particularly enjoy British humour; Are You Being Served, Faulty Towers, and The Office are some of my favourites.

then again i spent some years in Cyprus, a British mandate. i never really got into Saved by the Bell or Full House, two very popular shows with American kids my age.

Last edited by Luc X Saroufim : 11-07-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #47
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Faulty towers is excellent! But I rarely get to watch it anymore...my French GF just doesn't find it funny. Maybe it's the French who have no sense of humor!

Best,
Ron (ok, if ANYONE tells her I said that, you are TOAST)

PS If I survive her finding out...

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #48
BC

I heard this skit from Monty Python's Flying Circus on the radio yesterday. Still a classic!

On Australian Table Wines:
A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Sydney Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Rod Laver, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is Perth Pink. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

Robert Cronin
Old 11-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #49
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

YIKES...

Ron (now officially laying off the Australian wines)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #50
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Mike Grant wrote:
They don't have a sense of humour and they don't even have a language of their own. Guys, maybe you could at least learn to spell if you're going to borrow ours....
It's hardly OUR fault.

English began as bad German spoken by Welshmen with a Latin inferiority complex.

Over yonder here, its been adopted by us mongrel Scotch-Irish drunks and our Spanish cousins...

What sort of chance does that give us, then???

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.