Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:59 AM   #51
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: creation of new techniques

Quote:
Sean Haeussinger wrote:
I hope my knowledge can branch off to a new style. I bet I can make up techniques against kicks, but keep it within Aikido.
Yesterday on open mat, I tried Ikkyo with a straight kick.
Sean it seems to me that rather than stumbling across a bunch of new techniques and realising you've developed a different style, you have a goal of branching off a new style so are looking to create techniques to accomplisht that. That being the case - why is it you wish to create your own style if you don't mind me asking?

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"

Old 11-07-2006, 01:42 AM   #52
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Its hard enough trying to make your aikido become a passable rendition of an "old" styleŚlike Chiba, Saito, Yamaguchi, Saotome, etc. That alone should take over 20 years of hard practice. With so much to choose from, why try to be new? Unless being "new" is really the point, the whole goal? You can try it, of course, nothing is stopping you. But I fear that the compulsion to be "new" will get in the way of simply being competent. It might be better to stay 10 or 15 years with an "old" kind of aikido. Then you might have a different idea about how important being new is. My two cents.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #53
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Just about every style of aikido has waza that work well against your average kicker if you know how to apply it. Some styles work that sort of application more than others. One thing to be aware of is that your uke must be able to take ukemi...one of the newbies (a couple of years) asked me about what I'd do against a round house kick...I almost hurt him showing him a simple enter and turn movement. He forgot about the fact that lifting his foot up reduced his stability.

One of the seniors gave me a light slap on the butt for that one...always be nice to your beginners!

Best,
Ron (yoshinkan style now, but I've seen waza against kicking attacks in at least 3 other dojo)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Old 11-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #54
John A Butz
Dojo: Itten Dojo, Enola PA
United_States

Until you can manifest the foundational principles your instructor is teaching, dont worry about making anything up. Just train.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #55
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Sean Haeussinger wrote:
Ikkyo from a kick. Which style of Aikido?
Sean, we're Aikikai and we have techniques from kicks. Admittedly it's not something we practice, but techniques from kicks has all been worked out. I've studied various arts with kicks so I usually get asked to take ukemi every time someone asks my sensei about kicks.

Defending against mae geri is no different from defending against chudan tsuki except that uke is more likely to fall over when you redirect their attack or be unbalanced long enough for tori to close down the distance and deal with them.
The same is true of mawashi geri being basically the same as yokomen, harmonise and take the leg, throw uke.

True, there are kicks that because of their deceptive nature might be more dangerous; I'm thinking mikazuki geri or ura mawashi geri in particular but again once you've seen them you see that mikazuki geri is pretty much like yokomen in terms of defence and ura mawashi geri shouldn't be too much of an issue because as an Aikidoka you should have moved either inside of it or out of range, as with all attacks.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:06 PM   #56
SeanHaeussinger2
Dojo: Jiai
United_States

Quote:
John Butz wrote:
Until you can manifest the foundational principles your instructor is teaching, dont worry about making anything up. Just train.
One of the assistant instructors of my class told me that.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #57
SeanHaeussinger2
United_States

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
Sean, we're Aikikai and we have techniques from kicks. Admittedly it's not something we practice, but techniques from kicks has all been worked out. I've studied various arts with kicks so I usually get asked to take ukemi every time someone asks my sensei about kicks.

Defending against mae geri is no different from defending against chudan tsuki except that uke is more likely to fall over when you redirect their attack or be unbalanced long enough for tori to close down the distance and deal with them.
The same is true of mawashi geri being basically the same as yokomen, harmonise and take the leg, throw uke.

True, there are kicks that because of their deceptive nature might be more dangerous; I'm thinking mikazuki geri or ura mawashi geri in particular but again once you've seen them you see that mikazuki geri is pretty much like yokomen in terms of defence and ura mawashi geri shouldn't be too much of an issue because as an Aikidoka you should have moved either inside of it or out of range, as with all attacks.
Hmmmmm, tori. I thought you're Aikikai! And tori is Yoshinkan, no?

Old 11-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #58
SeanHaeussinger2
United_States

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
Sean it seems to me that rather than stumbling across a bunch of new techniques and realising you've developed a different style, you have a goal of branching off a new style so are looking to create techniques to accomplisht that. That being the case - why is it you wish to create your own style if you don't mind me asking?
Because I don't feel training with the existing weapons one trains with plus empty hand is good for training with guns. Plus, I could see about developing one's ability to dodge bullets. It's only a matter of timing.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #59
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Sean Haeussinger wrote:
Because I don't feel training with the existing weapons one trains with plus empty hand is good for training with guns. Plus, I could see about developing one's ability to dodge bullets. It's only a matter of timing.
Dodge bullets? Okay. Good luck with that.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:35 AM   #60
Ketsan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Sean Haeussinger wrote:
Hmmmmm, tori. I thought you're Aikikai! And tori is Yoshinkan, no?
As far as I am aware the general terms in the Aikikai are Uke and Nage. However in our association there seems, because of the way Aikido was introduced, to be quite a lot of Judo terminology used. So we've ended up with Uke and Tori.

Yoshinkan I believe use Uke and Shite.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:36 AM   #61
RampantWolf
Dojo: Cork Aiki Dojo
Ireland

Quote:
Sean Haeussinger wrote:
...dodge bullets. It's only a matter of timing.
I'll say... as in spend your time practicing something else.

If you're really keen on it try paintball, with a muzzle velocity of around 300fps it's about 1/4 the speed of a handgun bullet, then come back and let us know how your bullet dodging is going.

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #62
jxa127
Dojo: Itten Dojo -- Mechanicsburg, PA

Gavin,

300 feet per second is only a bit less than about half the speed of the standard .45 auto, and I'd still not want to try dodging it!

Sean, do yourself a favor and DO NOT TRY TO DODGE BULLETS!

Any type of training with a firearm is very dangerous. DO NOT USE LOADED GUNS FOR ANY TYPE OF AIKIDO TRAINING.

I started shooting about 20 years ago. I have never been injured, or injured anyone with a firearm in all that time. The only way this is possible is by NOT POINTING A LOADED (OR EVEN UNLOADED) GUN AT ANYBODY.

I did once train with unloaded, permanently deactivated guns, but even then, we checked them every time they changed hands.

Regards, and stay safe!

----
-Drew Ames

Old 11-09-2006, 11:37 AM   #63
DonMagee
United_States

I have actually been able to see the paintballs coming at me from a few yards out, I can see their arch, but there has never been a time where I have been able to doge a paintball. I have however been able to hear the muzzle noise and hit the dirt to dodge the paint ball. But that has always been while moving already low and quick angle changes making tracking harder.

The closest I have ever been shot with a piantball gun has been about 3 feet, it broke the skin and left a horrible bruise on my back for about 2 months. I do not suggest using a paintball gun.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein

Old 11-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #64
Ketsan
United Kingdom

I've dodged paintballs once or twice on reflex (out of the probably thousands that have been shot at me) and I've seen other people do it but unless you've got someone firing single shots you'll probably just be hit by the next paintball in the burst.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #65
SeanHaeussinger2
United_States

Quote:
Gavin Pay wrote:
I'll say... as in spend your time practicing something else.

If you're really keen on it try paintball, with a muzzle velocity of around 300fps it's about 1/4 the speed of a handgun bullet, then come back and let us know how your bullet dodging is going.
I already know. But would't it be better for beginners if one trains with soft bullets?

Old 11-10-2006, 12:06 AM   #66
Aristeia
New Zealand

is there anyone left that *doesn't* think this is a troll job?

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"

Old 11-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #67
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Hmmmm Aristeia, SeanH is from Jiai dojo and I believe people like Jeff Soderman or Roy Dean may know of existence of SeanH (if he is truly who he is).

As for creating new techniques, are you truly creating new techniques or are have you just stumble upon something new. Given that the OP is a 13 year K1D, I think is more of the latter, assuming this is not a TROLL job.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #68
akiy

Thread closed since it's merely talking about itself without any constructive discussion and straying into personal attacks.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com

Closed Thread