Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-23-2001, 03:16 PM   #1
Kieun
Yoshinkan Police course question

Hello, I just wanted to ask anyone who may have experience or knowledge of how the Yoshinkan Riot-Police program is sturcutred. As I understand (or not, please correct me if I'm wrong), a person with no prior experience can join the program, and after 9-12 months of intensive training recieve his shodan. So what is meant by "intensive"? e.g. is it like an uchideshi program, USMC boot camp-style, etc? And admitedly a getting a shodan is really saying that the person's stduies are really just beginning, but a shodan after just a year seems awfully fast. I might have this misunderstood so I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:25 PM   #2
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Thumbs down

Hello Kieun,

....if you're looking for a book that descibes the Yoshinkan Riot Police course, read "Angry White Pijamas" by Robert Twigger.

...all the questions you posted will be answered in GREAT detail!

This book is not a technical manual, but rather a story of a student's experiences going thru the Riot Police course. I don't know how truely accurate the book is, but it's interesting reading to be sure!

Regards,

Last edited by Brian Vickery : 08-23-2001 at 04:40 PM.

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 08-23-2001, 05:34 PM   #3
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
The Kodokan Judo Institute has a program that promotes students to shodan after 14 months. I also have heard that the Aikikai hombu has promoted students to shodan after a similar time. The Yoshinkai Senshusei course promotes students to shodan at graduation from the program. It is a very rugged experience.

This involves practice of five times a week under very experienced high level instructors though. Shodan in Japan usually doesn't mean the same thing as in the U.S. Shodan rank in Japan is not recognized as an "instructor" rank.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 08-24-2001, 12:39 AM   #4
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Clark
Shodan in Japan usually doesn't mean the same thing as in the U.S. Shodan rank in Japan is not recognized as an "instructor" rank. [/b]
If I remember right Twigger got a teaching certificate from that program.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:30 AM   #5
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik
If I remember right Twigger got a teaching certificate from that program.
Yes but you might notice from Twigger's book that only a few of those are asked to become Assistants for the next course.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-24-2001, 03:21 AM   #6
Nathan Pereira
Dojo: Joseikan Jui Jitsu/MMA/Aikido Rickmansworth, Herts
England
All though I have not done the course my instructor was one of the teachers on Twiggers course and I train with many people who have completed the course. I have also been in Yoshinkan long enough to know the type of training on the course.

So IMO if you start the course with no previous experience in yoshinkan but complete the course you will have a basic understanding of yoshinkan. It is indeed like a boot camp.The course is to push you to your mental and physical limits and this it does. It is by no means a fast track to being good at Aikido. It is after the course for those who choose to stay that the real learning begins [as told by my teacher]. Its as if they are testing your heart to to see if you are the right person for yoshinkan. This is why they only do this very intensive training for a year.

In the UK I spent the my first five years training like they do on the course. I am glad for it but a year is enough.

This type of training is the Yoshinkan way. It tends to be more intense and military [not saying better]than most styles.It is probabley for this reason that Yoshinkan is pretty small outside of Japan.

As for Twigger I have met and trained with him and although his book is a good reflection of the physical aspects of the course he is not a good reflection on Yoshinkan.

If you are really interested then try posting on the Yahoo yoshinkan forum as there are many people who have done, are doing/teaching the course.

To all the regular posters out there this is my first so be gentle. I felt Yoshinkan [apart from Mr Miranda] needed a bit more support on this forum. I hope that I can represent Yoshinkan well.

"Its just a ride" - Bill Hicks
Old 08-24-2001, 12:40 PM   #7
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
Question

I am currently reading "Angry White Pyjamas" coincidentally. I have been very interested in the Yoshinkan Riot Police Course (or senshusei), and I was planning on looking into it once I have finished my college degree. My question is if anyone knows what the prerequisites for foreigners who want to take the course are? I want to be able to work on these so as to attend the course as closely to finishing my degree as I can.

BTW, I won't be finishing for a couple of years still (2-3).

Thanks for the help,

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.