Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #1
Guilty Spark

United_States
Another book inquiry

Have a favor to ask,

I've tried the search function but I was looking for current input, as well my time on the net is very limited.

I can't find the time to physically train so I was looking at picking up some books on Aikido and I was hoping someone could drop some names.

I'm not really looking towards technique aikido books (as I can't practice and have a few of them already).
I'm looking more towards the Budo/spiritual/theory side of the house.
Anyone have any good books they can recommend?

Cheers
Grant

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 09-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
wayneth
Dojo: Port Talbot Dojo
Wales
Re: Another book inquiry

Total Aikido Master Course by Shioda Sensei
Progressive Aikido The Essential Elements by present Doshu
The Spirit of Aikido by former Doshu
These I think are probably some of the best books that have been translated into the English language. Although there are other books by Doshu's, Shioda Sensei and Saito Sensei(I believe his earliest are out of print) these are I think to be the most technically up to date of the people mentioned at their time of writing.
Wayne
Old 09-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Dan Rubin
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Aikido And the Harmony of Nature by Mitsugi Saotome Sensei. This book should be just the sort you're looking for concerning budo/spiritual/theory.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
crbateman

Dueling with O'Sensei (Ellis Amdur)
Journey to Center (Thomas Crum)
Spiritual Journey of Aikido (Huw Dillon)
It's a Lot Like Dancing (Terry Dobson)
Aikido and the New Warrior (Richard Strozzi Heckler)
The Spiritual Foundations of Aikido (William Gleason)
Twelve Winds (Karl Geis)
Aikido for Life (Gaku Homma)
Kinesthetic Kabbalah (Daniel Kohn)
Mastery (George Leonard)
Moving Toward Stillness (Dave Lowrey)
Aikido: Yurusu Budo (Shoji Nishio)
Aikido: Heart and Sword (Andre Noquet)
The Practice of Freedom (Wendy Palmer)
Remembering O'Sensei (Susan Perry)
Aikido Masters - Volume 1 (Stanley Pranin)
Aikido and the Harmony of Nature (Mitsugi Saotome)
Aikido Shugyo (Gozo Shioda)
Abundant Peace (John Stevens)
Invincible Warrior (John Stevens)
Enlightenment Through Aikido (Kanshu Sunadomari)
Aikido: More than a Martial Art (Roger Taylor)
The Spirit of Aikido (Kisshomaru Ueshiba)
Budo: Teachings of the Founder (Ueshiba/Stevens)

When you get through with these write me. There are many more.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
justin
United Kingdom

clark seems like you get through some books do you have a favorite
Old 09-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
Suru
United_States

"The Sands of Erebus" is a novella written by an Aikidoka (me) and offers much insight into Aiki spirituality.

Drew
Old 09-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
crbateman

Quote:
Justin Thomas wrote:
clark seems like you get through some books do you have a favorite
Justin, it would be difficult for me to name any one book that is my favorite, because much depends on what, in particular, I'm wanting to read about at the time. I think in the case of books that are basically non-technical, one of my favorites would be Nishio Sensei's "Aikido: Yurusu Budo", not specifically for its content, but because it was his only book, written late in life, and only after much prodding. He realized, after observing Saito Sensei's failing health and ultimate demise, that his own (Nishio's) thoughts should be written down to survive him. He was a bit of an enigma, and a good budo man from Aikido and other disciplines. He did not seek to conform to any system or dogma, save his own, and I have great respect for him, so I think his book is a must-read for the serious MA'er, and is food for thought even if one does not agree with all that is written there.

But the thing I hope you will take from this dialog is that one man's trash is another man's treasure. Agree or disagree with what you read, but at least avail yourself of as many points of view as you can. This cannot be done by asking another person what their favorite book is, but only by soaking up all the writings you can get your head around, and then making your own decisions. Then get your newly enlightened self in the dojo and train... hopefully with a fresher understanding of what you are doing, and what your own Aikido is...
Old 09-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
dps

Grant,
I would recommend to start with books by those who knew O'Sensei when he was alive, like his son and students as a foundation. Then progress from them to the next generation of Aikidoka and so forth. The first book I would suggest is " The Spirit of Aikido" by his son Kisshomaru Ueshiba.

Also read the quotations and sayings of O'Sensei.

You may not understand everything you read, be patient, the more you practice the more you will understand.
David

Last edited by dps : 09-16-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
graham

Dojo: Northampton Ki Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Is no one gonna recommend Ki in Daily Life?
Old 09-16-2006, 10:43 PM   #10
crbateman

Quote:
Graham Old wrote:
Is no one gonna recommend Ki in Daily Life?
Now someone has. Actually, I was thinking of recommending early Tohei titles (those before the split) as I find them more balanced, but also leaning to the technical, and the poster was wanting to go non-technical. Tohei Sensei's best book IMHO is "The Way to Union with Ki", because it contains the whole journey, but this book is so rare and expensive that it seemed impractical to suggest it.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #11
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom

I have been flicking through my books and noticed in Homma's Structure of Aikido (volume 1) he talks about volumes 2 and 3. Looked on Amazon and Abebooks, can't find them. Were they ever written?

Vorsprung durch Aikido!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #12
crbateman

Quote:
Philip Purcell wrote:
I have been flicking through my books and noticed in Homma's Structure of Aikido (volume 1) he talks about volumes 2 and 3. Looked on Amazon and Abebooks, can't find them. Were they ever written?
Don't know if they were ever written, but I DO know they have not yet been published. There are many such books that were worded to make one believe future volumes would happen, but never did. Book publishing in such a niche market is usually a commercial failure, but the new "on-demand" publishers may change all that, as the financial commitment required of the author and/or publisher is now greatly reduced. Stay tuned.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #13
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote:
Have a favor to ask,

I've tried the search function but I was looking for current input, as well my time on the net is very limited.

I can't find the time to physically train so I was looking at picking up some books on Aikido and I was hoping someone could drop some names.

I'm not really looking towards technique aikido books (as I can't practice and have a few of them already).
I'm looking more towards the Budo/spiritual/theory side of the house.
Anyone have any good books they can recommend?

Cheers
Grant
As a YoshinOrge to another, you must (or else I spank you) possess and read for at least 12 times "Aikido Shugyo" by Chief Orge Gozo Shioda himself.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #14
crbateman

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
As a YoshinOrge to another, you must (or else I spank you) possess and read for at least 12 times "Aikido Shugyo" by Chief Orge Gozo Shioda himself.
Boon.
Definitely a good choice, but a difficult book to get. This is the only retail source: http://www.shindokanbooks.com/shugyo.shtm But, they are often slow to respond (I've been told). Budovideos.com may get a copy occasionally, but be careful it's not a Japanese-language copy before you order it.

Here's a link to my review in the AJ Bibliography: http://www.aikidojournal.com/bibliog...ils.php?id=134

It's worth the effort, if you can find one.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #15
mrfeldmeyer

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

I know it's hard to find, but if you happen across it. Judo & Aikido by Tomiki Sensei is an excellent book. Although it may be more technical than you are looking for.

Last edited by mrfeldmeyer : 11-03-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:26 AM   #16
crbateman

Quote:
Matthew Feldmeyer wrote:
I know it's hard to find, but if you happen across it. Judo & Aikido by Tomiki Sensei is an excellent book. Although it may be more technical than you are looking for.
Actually, there are numerous copies available on Amazon, Abebooks, etc. Problem is the cost ($100-175 US). It has actually been titled "Judo: With Aikido" and "Judo: Appendix Aikido" with the latter being the oldest editions. As a basic technial reference, you won't learn much about the philosophical or spiritual aspects of Aikido from this book, however. It is most interesting because its English-language edition predates even the works of Kisshomaru Ueshiba and Koichi Tohei.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #17
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote:
I'm looking more towards the Budo/spiritual/theory side ...Anyone have any good books they can recommend?
Not sure what you mean - there is no seperate 'spiritual' aspect to aikido. It isn't a religion or system of spirituality. Maybe there is an ethical backdrop, but even then most aikidoka would disagree on this. Much of what is written is either their own spiritual beliefs or an interpretation of Ueshibas spirituality (which is not really aikido, though he often explained his aikido using it).

Why don't you read some of the original texts that many of these more modern thoughts come from e.g. shinto/taoist. May favourite book (which avoids boring long-winded waffle) is 'The Leih Tzu' by Eva Wong. A real gem. Chuang Tzu is also excellent.

If you want to read an aikido book, not about techniques - Shugyo (Shioda), as mentioned before, is very interesting. You can also read 'angry white pyjamas' (about a man spending 1yr in Japan doing the Yoshinkan course). A great book on 'budo' would be Master Teshu - The Sword of No Sword (John Stevens). John Stevens has also written Ueshibas biography.

Last edited by ian : 11-03-2006 at 10:29 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #18
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I really liked the Tesshu book...still suffers from a lack of footnotes, but it is a great insight into the life of a Budoka.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #19
Mike Grant
United Kingdom

Is that the one where he eats his own vomit?

I guess you could do that on your own at home (if you wanted to)....
Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #20
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

I like the Spirit of Aikido and we have a study group in our dojo that have been reading it this year and discussing it. In a week, I will have a complete study guide to the book I can send free to anyone who would like one sent to them by email attachment.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 11-04-2006, 09:08 AM   #21
mrfeldmeyer

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
Actually, there are numerous copies available on Amazon, Abebooks, etc. Problem is the cost ($100-175 US). It has actually been titled "Judo: With Aikido" and "Judo: Appendix Aikido" with the latter being the oldest editions. As a basic technial reference, you won't learn much about the philosophical or spiritual aspects of Aikido from this book, however. It is most interesting because its English-language edition predates even the works of Kisshomaru Ueshiba and Koichi Tohei.
Clark,

I actually have two copies of this book. A 1st edition titled Judo: Appendix Aikido, and an 8th edition titled Judo and Aikido with more pictures in it. I lucked out and purchased an auction for the 8th edition on eBay for around $150, and the auction included a "grab bag" of other books which (I'm guessing due to seller's lack of knowledge) had the 1st edition in with it.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #22
Mathias Lee
United Kingdom

I'll recommend 'The Art of Peace'. It's a collection of Ueshiba's work and is easily my favourite book on aikido. It has no pictures of tehniques and is just about what Ueshiba intended his art to be. Plus it's very cheap and readily available!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #23
crbateman

Quote:
Matthew Feldmeyer wrote:
Clark,

I actually have two copies of this book. A 1st edition titled Judo: Appendix Aikido, and an 8th edition titled Judo and Aikido with more pictures in it. I lucked out and purchased an auction for the 8th edition on eBay for around $150, and the auction included a "grab bag" of other books which (I'm guessing due to seller's lack of knowledge) had the 1st edition in with it.
The first edition is a keeper for sure, especially if it's a 1956 first printing (not all of them are). Personally, I'd use the later edition as trade bait to get something else you want, or maybe try to recoup some of the cash you laid out. Not much reason to tie up a bunch of money in multiple copies of this title, unless they're all 1st/1st. Key feature on these books is a spine in good condition. They were made very poorly, and many have the spine worn down to the fabric. Pass on those.

Last edited by crbateman : 11-04-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #24
kokyu
Hong Kong

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
Definitely a good choice, but a difficult book to get. This is the only retail source: http://www.shindokanbooks.com/shugyo.shtm But, they are often slow to respond (I've been told)
I also recommend Aikido Shugyo. I bought it from the website and their response time was OK.

BTW, the link for Aikido Shugyo should read Shindokan Books
Old 11-05-2006, 01:39 AM   #25
crbateman

Thanks for correcting the link. I didn't know the old one had died...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!