Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #176
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
Location: Phila. Pa
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,614
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

True victory is victory over the floor. If you layin' on it, you lose.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:10 PM   #177
jennifer paige smith
 
jennifer paige smith's Avatar
Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
Location: Santa Cruz
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,049
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
They are all jealous.
Yeah. " Don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful" .

Funny tought came to me....

observations:

1) Many people(not all) respond to love with anger.

2) Nature is feared (Again, by many, not by all).

hmmmm

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #178
jennifer paige smith
 
jennifer paige smith's Avatar
Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
Location: Santa Cruz
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,049
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
True victory is victory over the floor. If you layin' on it, you lose.

Best,
Ron
Unless you makin' love. Then if you layin' on it, you win.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #179
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
Location: Malibu, California
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,295
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
Unless you makin' love. Then if you layin' on it, you win.
I am Not Ready to give up on the trapeze yet.

William Hazen
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #180
gdandscompserv
 
gdandscompserv's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,214
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
Unless you makin' love. Then if you layin' on it, you win.
Win win!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #181
gregg block
 
gregg block's Avatar
Location: bethlehem PA
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 127
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

#1 Who cares what other people think. #2 All martial arts are effective its individual practitioners and poor teachers that are ineffective #3 Shallow brooks are noisy, those who shoot off their mouths the most are generally skilled the least. #4 A good martial artist understands # 1, #2 & #3. OMHO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #182
Joseph Madden
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 160
Canada
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Some of the aspects of aikido that I dislike.

1. Egotism-If u don't believe it exists in your dojo, you've taken to many hits to the head. I can't speak for all schools of the art but at my dojo we definitely have some who believe their Elvis (I know, he practiced Karate, but go along with the analogy).

2. Lack of competition- I think this is something that needs to change.

3. This "idea" that aikido is a samurai art and is therefore at the top in the heap in the martial arts. Bull@#$%

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #183
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,212
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Joseph Madden wrote: View Post
Some of the aspects of aikido that I dislike.

1. Egotism-If u don't believe it exists in your dojo, you've taken to many hits to the head. I can't speak for all schools of the art but at my dojo we definitely have some who believe their Elvis (I know, he practiced Karate, but go along with the analogy).

2. Lack of competition- I think this is something that needs to change.

3. This "idea" that aikido is a samurai art and is therefore at the top in the heap in the martial arts. Bull@#$%

1. Egotism is everywhere humans are. The more comfortable people get with their chosen activities, it seems the more egotistical they get too (eg-I've seen it in every activity I've taken part in, from paintball to chess). Do you think this is exceptionally present in the Aikido world?

2. I don't think it needs to change. I think if number one were less of a human condition, this would be less of a problem.

3. This is really just number one all over again isn't it? I've never actually met anyone I know of who thinks Aikido is the "top" martial art except in a very relative/personal sense. I've seen lots of posts on places like youtube which express this kind of thing, but I usually get the sense they're very young...and usually I see this coming from non-Aikidoka more often.

If I had to pick something I dislike about "Aikido," I'd say it was the subtle nature of its movements, but then again they challenge me and that's only a good thing. Any other things I dislike aren't Aikido traits, they're human ones which can be found anywhere...so far as I can tell. To my mind this doesn't really say much about Aikido beyond the fact that it's simply not for everyone.

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #184
Chenstar058
Dojo: Aiki Kuren Dojo
Location: Sydney
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Australia
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

did u know Osensei's son put a disgrace on Aikido?? He stole the dojo from the person Osensei trusted who can pass Aikido down. And his son has made his own styles of Aikido and heeps other ppl did too. (Hombu, Yoshinkan)

now heres my point, We had a Iwama white belt and a Humbu 4th dan training together. The Hombu tried a technique on the White belt but just didn't work when the whit belt did it, its worked. I saw it with my own eyes trust me.

Iwama was the original style and the "best" style, the techniques were correct and teaching method was correct.

but now Aikid has so many styles, and many of which is worse than Iwama and so people think AIkido is bad, but Aikido the real one, is actually the best martial art ever =D XD
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #185
Joseph Madden
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 160
Canada
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
1. Egotism is everywhere humans are. The more comfortable people get with their chosen activities, it seems the more egotistical they get too (eg-I've seen it in every activity I've taken part in, from paintball to chess). Do you think this is exceptionally present in the Aikido world?

2. I don't think it needs to change. I think if number one were less of a human condition, this would be less of a problem.

3. This is really just number one all over again isn't it? I've never actually met anyone I know of who thinks Aikido is the "top" martial art except in a very relative/personal sense. I've seen lots of posts on places like youtube which express this kind of thing, but I usually get the sense they're very young...and usually I see this coming from non-Aikidoka more often.

If I had to pick something I dislike about "Aikido," I'd say it was the subtle nature of its movements, but then again they challenge me and that's only a good thing. Any other things I dislike aren't Aikido traits, they're human ones which can be found anywhere...so far as I can tell. To my mind this doesn't really say much about Aikido beyond the fact that it's simply not for everyone.
I'd agree to an extent Matt, but the way aikido is promoted in some circles(including this forum) many are led to believe that you will
be protected from the politics of the outside world when in actuality
the dojo just becomes another microcosm(it may be different in some countries).

I'll have to politely disagree with regards to competition. This is something that would give aikido a less insular feel to it if people
can actually see aikidoists competing. When the MMA first started
there were many aikidoka who were handed their hats to them in the ring because of that lack of competition (my opinion).

I've seen to many webpages devoted to the superiority of aikido over other arts to agree with the last answer. And not all of these practitioners are young or new to the art.

OSU
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:08 AM   #186
Guilty Spark
 
Guilty Spark's Avatar
Location: Flordia
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 300
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Angus Chen wrote: View Post

Iwama was the original style and the "best" style, the techniques were correct and teaching method was correct.
So Iwama is the best and all others basically suck is what you're saying in a nutshell?

I've defended myself successfully with Yoshinkan, I'm quite content with it. I think you need to spend more time on the matt. (Maybe even put a book or two down)

Last edited by Guilty Spark : 02-03-2008 at 02:10 AM.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #187
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Location: Stockholm
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 555
Sweden
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Hey, Iwama style is good but you really need to get out more if you think that one style have a monopoly on producing good practitioners. And bashing other practitioners and styles is really a disgrace to your instructor and dojo, apparently they dont teach you proper reigi.

Quote:
Angus Chen wrote: View Post
did u know Osensei's son put a disgrace on Aikido?? He stole the dojo from the person Osensei trusted who can pass Aikido down. And his son has made his own styles of Aikido and heeps other ppl did too. (Hombu, Yoshinkan)

now heres my point, We had a Iwama white belt and a Humbu 4th dan training together. The Hombu tried a technique on the White belt but just didn't work when the whit belt did it, its worked. I saw it with my own eyes trust me.

Iwama was the original style and the "best" style, the techniques were correct and teaching method was correct.

but now Aikid has so many styles, and many of which is worse than Iwama and so people think AIkido is bad, but Aikido the real one, is actually the best martial art ever =D XD
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #188
Dieter Haffner
 
Dieter Haffner's Avatar
Dojo: Tai Wa Lokeren, Budokai Mechelen
Location: Lokeren
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 114
Belgium
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

I think mister Chen forgot to add [SARCASM]...[/SARCASM].
It would have been a good laugh.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #189
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,212
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Joseph Madden wrote: View Post
I'd agree to an extent Matt, but the way aikido is promoted in some circles(including this forum) many are led to believe that you will
be protected from the politics of the outside world when in actuality
the dojo just becomes another microcosm(it may be different in some countries).

I'll have to politely disagree with regards to competition. This is something that would give aikido a less insular feel to it if people
can actually see aikidoists competing. When the MMA first started
there were many aikidoka who were handed their hats to them in the ring because of that lack of competition (my opinion).

I've seen to many webpages devoted to the superiority of aikido over other arts to agree with the last answer. And not all of these practitioners are young or new to the art.

OSU
You may well be right. I tend to be pretty hit and miss with what I check out online.
As for competition I certainly see the value in it. I also agree with the idea that competition can distract greatly, but only as much as the individual allows. I don't think it's necessary to Aikido, but I do understand what you're saying about it removing that insular feel.

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #190
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,212
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
...I think you need to spend more time on the matt.
Hmmm...somewhere in here there's a joke or two, but I'm afraid what they might be

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #191
Guilty Spark
 
Guilty Spark's Avatar
Location: Flordia
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 300
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Hmmm...somewhere in here there's a joke or two, but I'm afraid what they might be
Honestly I think Angus actually brings attention back to my initial question: why do some people hate aikido.

Attitude.

Now I may be wrong but Angus very much sounds like someone new to Aikido who read up on a lot of the literature and swallowed every word. Then turns around and preaches it like gospel.

I think thats really the only thing I don't like about Aikido, the internet/book club 'enlightened' people who regurgitate everything they hear or read but don't really understand what their saying.

In many cases I figure these new students are so overjoyed at finding aikido that they preach and with poor delivery end up turning people against aikido.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #192
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,212
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
I think thats really the only thing I don't like about Aikido, the internet/book club 'enlightened' people who regurgitate everything they hear or read but don't really understand what their saying.

In many cases I figure these new students are so overjoyed at finding aikido that they preach and with poor delivery end up turning people against aikido.
It certainly doesn't help...and I know I've been guilty of a bit of that in the past...at least, with regard to competition. I dislike this kind of behavior as well. I just take exception with the idea that this kind of thing is particular to Aikido...though maybe that's not what folks have been saying.
Frankly, I dislike most nay-saying. In my opinion it's far more useful (generally speaking) to speak of what's useful in something than of what is not, though both have their place.

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #193
Chenstar058
Dojo: Aiki Kuren Dojo
Location: Sydney
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Australia
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

each style has an emphasis on different things, but hey, all i'm saying is wat i've seen, Iwama is the real deal LOL i think Yoshinkan and everything is great for self defense, but Aikido is not JUST self defense

ITs a Martial art, but when ppl say Aikido sucks and start to hate it, Its because the real and original Aikido has been changing into different styles and stuff. Honbu and Yoshinkan and others r great but to be honest with u ppl, Iwama is better LOL

but wats better also depends on the person, maybe he has faster reflexes and stuff so yea, it depends.

And also alot of people find other martial arts better like Karate and Taekwondo, personally, i do not think they r real martial arts, the philosophy and action is totally not martial.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #194
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,212
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Angus Chen wrote: View Post
each style has an emphasis on different things, but hey, all i'm saying is wat i've seen
So...what kind of experiences have you had then? By "seen" I'm assuming you have interacted with all those different styles of Aikido directly; for an extended period of time?

Quote:
And also alot of people find other martial arts better like Karate and Taekwondo, personally, i do not think they r real martial arts, the philosophy and action is totally not martial.
That's interesting. Respectfully, I completely disagree, but I'm curious what it is exactly that IS martial, but which those other arts don't have in your opinion.

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:43 AM   #195
Guilty Spark
 
Guilty Spark's Avatar
Location: Flordia
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 300
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Just to get an idea here Angus, how long have you been training in Aikido?

And as Matthew asks, when you say "seen" what are you talking about? Demo's you've attended in real life, physically training with students from other styles or what you've seen on the net/youtube?

Last edited by Guilty Spark : 02-04-2008 at 01:45 AM.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:14 AM   #196
roman naly
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 23
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Angus Chen wrote: View Post
did u know Osensei's son put a disgrace on Aikido?? He stole the dojo from the person Osensei trusted who can pass Aikido down. And his son has made his own styles of Aikido and heeps other ppl did too. (Hombu, Yoshinkan)

now heres my point, We had a Iwama white belt and a Humbu 4th dan training together. The Hombu tried a technique on the White belt but just didn't work when the whit belt did it, its worked. I saw it with my own eyes trust me.

Iwama was the original style and the "best" style, the techniques were correct and teaching method was correct.

but now Aikid has so many styles, and many of which is worse than Iwama and so people think AIkido is bad, but Aikido the real one, is actually the best martial art ever =D XD
HERE WE GO AGAIN
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 AM   #197
xuzen
 
xuzen's Avatar
Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 965
Malaysia
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Angus Chen wrote: View Post
each style has an emphasis on different things, but hey, all i'm saying is wat i've seen, Iwama is the real deal LOL i think Yoshinkan and everything is great for self defense, but Aikido is not JUST self defense

ITs a Martial art, but when ppl say Aikido sucks and start to hate it, Its because the real and original Aikido has been changing into different styles and stuff. Honbu and Yoshinkan and others r great but to be honest with u ppl, Iwama is better LOL

but wats better also depends on the person, maybe he has faster reflexes and stuff so yea, it depends.

And also alot of people find other martial arts better like Karate and Taekwondo, personally, i do not think they r real martial arts, the philosophy and action is totally not martial.
Iwana is the AW3S0M3N3SS (TM) if only you are carrying a little broom stick.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #198
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Team Combat USA
Location: Olympia, Washington
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

I don't worry about it, since I can kick everyone's butt anyway, so it does not matter because whatever aikido I do...mine is the best!

I don't do it with fast reflexes or speed, or strength (unless I want to). I usually just stare at them really hard and they give up.

Sometimes, if I am really angry, I generate so much power that I have to hold it back cause just the static electricity that builds up in my body is enough to induce heart failure. I did use it once as an AED to help a guy out that was having a heart attack, so that "negative" energy does have some good uses I guess.

Sensei told me that is was wrong to use my powers for my own self gain and that I needed to let people make mistakes and figure things our for themselves and that I should only use "our" style of aikido when someone is really in trouble, like they are going to jump off a bridge, or they are crossing the street in front of a car or something.

It is hard to do this though, because sometimes I realize that I do have to use my strength, power, and speed to stop a guy from getting in front of a car. (I guess if they are not looking at me, or know that I am present, then I can't use my "evil stare" to stop them). So there has been a few people I could not help! It made me sad.

So, anyway, i usually choose to not use my aiki powers, and we usually keep them secret from everyone else for these reason. Also, if everyone found out how awesome we where and how good my sensei really was, well then, we would not have time to train our own powers as everyone would want to come. besides....how special would we be if we let everyone in on our secrets?

It is a huge responsibility and a very hard burden to study our form of aikido, but I know it is the best, and I am glad that Sensei allows me to study it!

ps. don't tell him I wrote this here...he would not like it and will make me form a thousand KI balls which is very tiring.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #199
SeiserL
 
SeiserL's Avatar
Location: Florida Gulf coast
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 3,803
United_States
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Ego.
If it matches for what I want, its right/good, love it.
If it doesn't match for me, its wrong/bad, hate it.
Don't take their opinion/preference personally.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #200
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
Location: Birmingham
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 864
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I don't worry about it, since I can kick everyone's butt anyway, so it does not matter because whatever aikido I do...mine is the best!

I don't do it with fast reflexes or speed, or strength (unless I want to). I usually just stare at them really hard and they give up.

Sometimes, if I am really angry, I generate so much power that I have to hold it back cause just the static electricity that builds up in my body is enough to induce heart failure. I did use it once as an AED to help a guy out that was having a heart attack, so that "negative" energy does have some good uses I guess.

Sensei told me that is was wrong to use my powers for my own self gain and that I needed to let people make mistakes and figure things our for themselves and that I should only use "our" style of aikido when someone is really in trouble, like they are going to jump off a bridge, or they are crossing the street in front of a car or something.

It is hard to do this though, because sometimes I realize that I do have to use my strength, power, and speed to stop a guy from getting in front of a car. (I guess if they are not looking at me, or know that I am present, then I can't use my "evil stare" to stop them). So there has been a few people I could not help! It made me sad.

So, anyway, i usually choose to not use my aiki powers, and we usually keep them secret from everyone else for these reason. Also, if everyone found out how awesome we where and how good my sensei really was, well then, we would not have time to train our own powers as everyone would want to come. besides....how special would we be if we let everyone in on our secrets?

It is a huge responsibility and a very hard burden to study our form of aikido, but I know it is the best, and I am glad that Sensei allows me to study it!

ps. don't tell him I wrote this here...he would not like it and will make me form a thousand KI balls which is very tiring.
Yeah, but were you taught in the mountains by a tengu?
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K. Tohei vs Aikikai Gwion General 64 12-13-2010 12:40 PM
Mixing Aikido with other martial arts Guilty Spark General 146 05-04-2008 11:10 AM
Dilution of aikido eugene_lo General 40 02-07-2006 12:22 PM
Aiki Expo Thoughts (Long!) akiy Seminars 5 09-29-2003 11:15 PM
Atemi DavidM General 61 06-24-2002 11:04 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2016 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2016 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate