Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-05-2006, 01:54 AM   #26
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Aikido/BJJ combo??

Don,

After reading your post #15, I feel as though I am taking the same scenic route as you did.

I can understand what you are trying to say now more clearly, as compare to 1 year ago before I took up a more competition/sport based art, namely judo.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #27
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
.... When I go to an occasional aikido class I find it is easy to pick up new techniques and work with the class. This is probably because I am learning the same types of body movement (although not explained the same way) in my judo and bjj training ......
Probably. I also believe that a big part of the first phase of MA training is how to learn how to make your body do specific things; most people stop working on that when they learn to walk, so trying to do something specific can be difficult. Once you pass through that phase, it's easy to "pick things up." Getting them perfect is another matter.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #28
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I spend most of my time in my BJJ classes trying to teach students to align there bodies properly when doing technique. I wish they had the time and patience to use aikido methodlogy to learn these things!

However, when your primary goal is to gain a certain level of empty hand fighting effiiciency....you have to work both ends, the sacrifice is what I would call "proper body mechanicss/kinesiology". Conversely, when you spend all your time in a methodlogy like aikido you sacrifice the ability to fight effectively in the short term.

That is why I think they are very complimentary.

Someone that has studied aikido will adopt BJJ very quickly if they stick to it for a while as the principles are the same and you are rewarded in the long run for assimilating proper posture, mechanics, and kinesology.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #29
aikidjoe
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido / Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Gerald Rhoades wrote:
Also for those who do approve of this combo, especially that guy if he reads this, what do you think the pros for it are?? How would aikido improve your BJJ and do you think the BJJ can help improve your aikido in anyway??
I know quite a few people both in Boulder and Seattle that do both. Bookman Sensei (Seattle) practices both, and has told me that he feels there is some connection between the two because of similar philosophies behind the technique and is trying to organically form his BJJ into Aikido (a whole other topic...what is Aikido?). Whether or not he's chasing a ghost, it's something to think about.

In any case, most fights do end up on the ground, so having some skill at ground fighting is a good idea if you're training is geared towards martial ability. But since you seem to be a beginner in both arts, I'd not worry about connecting the two, and focus on each separately. Over time, each will affect the other; your perspective will change, and your practice may become deeper, and maybe you'll perceive a connection between the two. But don't let one interfere with the other, that's the danger. Keep in mind Aikido was developed in an entirely different way than BJJ, and so is fundamentally different, and requires a different attitude while training, generally.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/media.php?media=radio

A link to a radio lecture with Stanley Pranin, Ikeda Sensei, Saotome Sensei, and Ushiro Sensei (Karate) on cross training. It's long, 104 minutes, but I feel is very good.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #30
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

I've been fortunate enough to attend a few sessions with a gentleman by the name of Gadi Shorr.

(Based in Watford, UK) He's a Yoshinkan 5th dan, a graduate of the (in)famous senshusei course and has a good deal of BJJ experience. In his formal classes he teaches straight down the line Yoshinkan, but in seminars switches seamlessly from aikido to BJJ and back again, and can explain BJJ techniques in very "aiki" terms.

To attend one of those sessions (which I can't recommend highly enough), you wouldn't think there was any difference between aikido and BJJ at all!

Sean
x
Old 10-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #31
Steve Wright
United_States

Quote:
Sean Orchard wrote:
I've been fortunate enough to attend a few sessions with a gentleman by the name of Gadi Shorr.

(Based in Watford, UK) He's a Yoshinkan 5th dan, a graduate of the (in)famous senshusei course and has a good deal of BJJ experience. In his formal classes he teaches straight down the line Yoshinkan, but in seminars switches seamlessly from aikido to BJJ and back again, and can explain BJJ techniques in very "aiki" terms.

To attend one of those sessions (which I can't recommend highly enough), you wouldn't think there was any difference between aikido and BJJ at all!

Sean
x
Haven't posted in a while but this caught my eye. If the instruction is high quality you will see very little diffence between aikido, bjj, or judo. I spent a week at a judo training camp in New York in August. There was some beautiful, flowing judo that resembled aikido in every way. I have also seen some film of the Gracies in action with bjj. I see no difference. I know for a fact that I would not survive 10 seconds with Royce Gracie if he wanted to kill me. a very powerfull, flowing, aiki-type art on the ground. More impressive than a lot of aikido that I have seen.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!