Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
Gerald Rhoades
United_States
Hows it going??

Hello,
My name is gerald rhoades and i live in Monterrey, Mexico. (that intro sounds a little elementary schoolish...lol..sorry)
I was born here but i grew up in Memphis TN, USA. I lived there until i finished highschool and then i came to monterrey to study medical school. I am currently 26 and in my 6th and final year. i will, however, have to do a 1 year internship to get my MD afterwards, and then i will be able to head back to the states to do my Residency in Neurology.
I have always had a great interest in Martial arts since childhood. Me and my best friend both. But we werent able to actually study any due to our parents. I always had a preference for grappling because it just felt more natural to me than striking. And when i came to mexico i really never had time due to medschool. But now that im at the end of it, i dont study as hard as i used to , because now its more of a review usually. so now i have time to get into martial arts again. My first choice was aikido. I always wanted to get into aikido, and i bought a book, Aikido and the dynamic sphere. I read most of it, and decided i would get into boxing first to learn more about the attacks i would need to to defend against and ended up really enjoying it, and also its the best workout ive ever had (way better than soccer...) But about 4 months ago i was in memphis with my old friend (the same one who also wanted to do martial arts) and he told me he found a place close to his house that has always existed that teaches Judo for free. you just pay 5 bucks a month for maintenance..( wish we would have known aobu that before dammit..lol) anyway i really loved the ground work they would do, so i ended up getting into BJJ over here in Mexico. I really like it, and have been in it for 2 months. But i really want to start aikido. Its what ive always wanted. BAd thing is, that a couple of weeks ago during BJJ training i got an Intervertebral Disc Hernia at L4-L5. So i have to wait a few months now before i can start aikido. I plan to stay in BJJ though, and im still going to try to box whenever i can to stay in shape.
I cant wait till i can start. Ive been reading through this website, looking at aikido clips, and reading my book again. Im really excited about it.
Anyway, thanks for letting me be on here. Hope to hear from some people soon..
Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel
Re: Hows it going??

Hey What enthusiasm - You sound like a kid in a candy store

I hope you'll find what you're looking for, be it aikido or BJJ.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
akiy

Hi Gerald,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Gerald Rhoades wrote:
BAd thing is, that a couple of weeks ago during BJJ training i got an Intervertebral Disc Hernia at L4-L5. So i have to wait a few months now before i can start aikido.
That stinks. Make sure you wait long enough, though. Don't push yourself too hard. Thanks for the intro, Gerald. Welcome.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!