Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
deluxe1668
 
deluxe1668's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15
United_States
Offline
My first week of Aikido

Hi,

Last week was my ever first week training in a Dojo. I think maybe I was training in Sat and Sun. The class was kind of mixed with different techniques.
I had about 15 mins of learning how to fall slowly; actually was rolling to the back and rolling to the front. And that's it. All the other time was learning how to use the circular motion slowly grab the attacker and the movement from the foot stepping. Then on Sun. we learn how to use weapon; a stick.
Because it is my first time on Aikido, don't know if the first class is always like these?
I thought I will be learning how to fall on the first few weeks. Then gradually learn how to stand and how to position my arms and legs...just wondering.

Is there a system to learn Aikido?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
thomanil
Dojo: OSI Aikido
Location: Oslo
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 10
Norway
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Quote:
Ivan Wong wrote:
Hi,
Because it is my first time on Aikido, don't know if the first class is always like these?
Sounds like a pretty normal beginners class, yeah.

Thomas Kjeldahl Nilsson
Oslo, Norway
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
Qatana
 
Qatana's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 834
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Yeah, some dojos actually begin beginners at the beginning! My first month we were prepping for a shodan test so I started out on black belt techniques!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
deluxe1668
 
deluxe1668's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15
United_States
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
Yeah, some dojos actually begin beginners at the beginning! My first month we were prepping for a shodan test so I started out on black belt techniques!
Wow!!! But don't you need to learn how to fall before how to fight?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
James Davis
 
James Davis's Avatar
Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
Location: Ft. Myers, FL.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 716
United_States
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Quote:
Ivan Wong wrote:
Wow!!! But don't you need to learn how to fall before how to fight?
It's important that we learn how to fall so our fellow students can learn technique. When our classmates know how to fall, we can throw them without worrying too much about their getting injured. Everything you learn will benefit you and your fellow aikidoka. Have fun!

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
Location: Phila. Pa
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,614
United_States
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Quote:
Wow!!! But don't you need to learn how to fall before how to fight?
You are taking aikido to learn how to fight? I think you might have a misunderstanding about aikido...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Location: Herzliya
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 171
Israel
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Hi Ivan! I'm only in aikido for nearly two years, but i've been to about 5 dojos, so i can share my experience:
I've seen some places that don't bother showing beginners how to fall (perhaps the instructor thought "they'll quit anyways, why waste my serious students' time), but everywhere else, they did it exactly like your place did; show you how to fall, make u practice it a bit, and then hop right into techniques.

You'll gradually learn how to fall more naturally over time, and your senior students (sempai) will hopefully be wise enough to throw you down gently until you do. If they don't, don't be afraid to say "i'm a beginner, please go easy on me, i'm not so sure how to fall".

Also, don't be afraid if falling down takes quite some time to learn. You will improve the more you do it, even without noticing. I still pay very close attention to the way I roll on warmups because I see tons of room for improvement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
deluxe1668
 
deluxe1668's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15
United_States
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
You are taking aikido to learn how to fight? I think you might have a misunderstanding about aikido...
What i mean by fight; i mean the techniques. Nevertheless, Aikido is a form of martial arts self defense. Am i right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
Location: Phila. Pa
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,614
United_States
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

It is a form of martial art / martial way, yes. Budo, specifically.

Does it teach you to fight? Not so sure. If you read the doka of the founder, he says aikido is not really about fighting. If you want to fight with someone, maybe boxing, or MMA would be good.

Does it teach you to defend yourself? I've heard from some pretty knowledgable sources that if you want self defense, buy a gun.

Aikido does have applications in the area of self-defense. But I personally would be wary of putting too much into that...train hard, pay attention, and outside of class, think for yourself a bit. I think that will go a long way to making your time in aikido usefull.

In most cases, in our society, fighting is not very usefull.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
Location: Devon
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,219
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
It is a form of martial art / martial way, yes. Budo, specifically.

Does it teach you to fight? Not so sure. If you read the doka of the founder, he says aikido is not really about fighting. If you want to fight with someone, maybe boxing, or MMA would be good.

Does it teach you to defend yourself? I've heard from some pretty knowledgable sources that if you want self defense, buy a gun.

Aikido does have applications in the area of self-defense. But I personally would be wary of putting too much into that...train hard, pay attention, and outside of class, think for yourself a bit. I think that will go a long way to making your time in aikido usefull.

In most cases, in our society, fighting is not very usefull.

Best,
Ron
I've been away for a while, and I come back to find Ron continuing to peddle solid common sense.

cheers,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:57 AM   #11
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 643
Israel
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Quote:
Ivan Wong wrote:
Hi,

Last week was my ever first week training in a Dojo. I think maybe I was training in Sat and Sun. The class was kind of mixed with different techniques.
I had about 15 mins of learning how to fall slowly; actually was rolling to the back and rolling to the front. And that's it. All the other time was learning how to use the circular motion slowly grab the attacker and the movement from the foot stepping. Then on Sun. we learn how to use weapon; a stick.
Because it is my first time on Aikido, don't know if the first class is always like these?
I thought I will be learning how to fall on the first few weeks. Then gradually learn how to stand and how to position my arms and legs...just wondering.

Is there a system to learn Aikido?

Compared to our normal session for a beginner student, is sounds like your first lesson had too much in it. We normally teach some falling tehnicques, one tai-sabaki movement and one technique. the purpose of said technique is to give the student a some feeling and a feling of satisfaction, since otherwise people tend to be disappointed.


Amir
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #12
Qatana
 
Qatana's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 834
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Ok, what I meant was I was Doing the techniques, I certainly was not Receiving them! In fact I couldn't even learn ukemi until my shoulder healed from my first try!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #13
Adman
 
Adman's Avatar
Location: St. Louis
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 139
United_States
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Quote:
Ivan Wong wrote:
Hi,

Last week was my ever first week training in a Dojo.
Hi Ivan! Welcome!

This is off topic, but I just had to mention how amused and surprised I was, to see myself performing in your avatar.

thanks,
Adam
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
deluxe1668
 
deluxe1668's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15
United_States
Offline
Re: My first week of Aikido

Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote:
Hi Ivan! Welcome!

This is off topic, but I just had to mention how amused and surprised I was, to see myself performing in your avatar.

thanks,
Adam
I would love to do that too.....
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baseline skillset eyrie Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 1633 05-23-2008 01:35 PM
For Ted Ehara - Boundary of your aikido? billybob General 123 12-18-2006 04:52 AM
Philippine ranking and other stories aries admin General 27 06-27-2006 04:27 AM
Omoto-kyo Theology senshincenter Spiritual 77 12-04-2005 09:50 PM
Proposta organização do Aikido Portugal kimusubi0 Portuguese 0 05-03-2004 03:26 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate