Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-16-2001, 01:45 AM   #1
AskanisoN
Dojo: USA Martial Arts
Talking "The best defense...

...is a Nike defense."

This is a quote my sensei uses often in reference to an attack with a knife, gun, etc. Having said this, my question is two-fold.

1)If/When given the occasion by an attacker, would/did you choose to use your Aikido or run away if given the chance?

2)In either case, how did you feel about your training and the outcome of the situation afterwards?

Thanx

Last edited by AskanisoN : 08-16-2001 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:19 AM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Short answer - remove yourself from the scene (ie run away).

Long answer - same as above but.

Make sure you have some place to run to.

Make sure you can run faster then what you are trying to run away from.

Make sure that those you care about who are with you are as athletically gifted as you are.

Make damm sure you are not going to be in the same position anytime soon.

Face it - the bad ass will assume running as a sign of weakness - it just might make you more of a target.

How to employ zanshin while removing yourself from a situation.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-16-2001, 04:19 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Run - definately - all other being equal.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-16-2001, 05:19 AM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: "The best defense...

Quote:
Originally posted by AskanisoN
...is a Nike defense."

This is a quote my sensei uses often. Having said this, my question is two-fold.

1)If/When given the occasion by an attacker, would/did you choose to use your Aikido or run away if given the chance?

2)In either case, how did you feel about your training and the outcome of the situation afterwards?

Thanx
Don't know. But since you're in B-ham, come drop in for a visit the next time you're headed south. We're in Montgomery, convenient to I-65.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 08-16-2001, 05:52 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Running is not always the best option - I think it a personal choice and may have to be decided depending on the situation.

Alot of our lives is about power, and people only gain power when you give it to them. Jesus and Ghandi were both prominant people who refused to be manipulated by their society and by people within that society. They did this without 'reacting' to aggression by using aggression, nor by giving in to aggression. Their option was to use non-violence and to suffer, which showed that violence only has a hold over you if you let it. If these men had run away from violence the world would very likely be a different place.

Aikido has the potential of pacifism without being injured or killed. In my case I believe there are more important things than protecting your own life, one of which is persuading others to be more peaceful (not in a hippy drugged out sense, but by allowing others to freely express themselves).

Therefore, you should act as though external matters are of no consequence. Neither run, nor be violent. If they attack, move out of the way and continue where you are going. Aikido gives us an opportunity to effect people through our benvolent actions, running away doesn't.

Ian

P.S. I understand this is quite idealistic, and as mentioned above, each situation is very different.
Old 08-16-2001, 12:00 PM   #6
AskanisoN
Re: Re: "The best defense...

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Jennings

Don't know. But since you're in B-ham, come drop in for a visit the next time you're headed south. We're in Montgomery, convenient to I-65.

Best Regards,
Greg,

Thank you for the invitation. I have only been training in Aikido for about 7 months now and havn't realy had the occasion(or invitation)to visit any other dojos. From the looks of your website though, you have a very unique situation and a dedicated group of people to train with. The next time I'm headed that way, I'll make sure to bring my gi, an open mind, and a good attitude.

Sincerely,

Scott
Old 08-16-2001, 12:32 PM   #7
Armyaiki
Dojo: St. Louis Aikikai
I agree with the Nike defense option, BUT there is many options before it comes to that point. Harmony is the goal and the most harmonious solution is desired. This is not where your practice of Aikido should begin. Before the situation happens, there are many ways to resolve it. Many people do not want to fight or attack a person determined to not be a victim. Victims are picked because they act as if they are easy prey. I have noticed that through the study of Aikido my agressive tendencies have mellowed and other Aikidoka that I train with have stopped being nervous about their own skill. They have stopped being prey and have become above that predator prey dynamic. This is the goal of harmony.

All an opinion and my own ramble.

AI
Old 08-16-2001, 01:12 PM   #8
ronin_10562
Dojo: NGA Ossining
I don't like the word run away, it evokes a sense of cowardice. I would use the term diffuse the situation. In both cases there is no fight but with one you keep your dignity. Then again if you are faced with many opponents with weapons it would be smart to run away. But generaly speaking diffusing the situation is a good solution, verbally deal with the person and or walk away. This is what I would do first.(PS don't turn your back on them).

There are also exeptions where you must deal with the situation vigorously. Perhaps protecting an individual who is under an attack, or to prevent a wrong.

Since I started training in 1984 I had 3 or 4 situations in which I was able to dissuade the individual from attacking with a combination of verbal diffusion and at the same time being prepared to recieve an attack. So they had no opening, and that doesn't mean dropping into a fighting stance because that would escalate the conflict. I have not had any physical confrontations to this day. I have always felt good after those situations, because I didn't run away but instead dealt with the problems directly.

Walter Kopitov
Old 08-16-2001, 01:40 PM   #9
AskanisoN
Quote:
Originally posted by ronin_10562
I don't like the word run away, it evokes a sense of cowardice. I would use the term diffuse the situation.
I agree. It does sound a bit cowardice, but that wasn't my intention. What I really meant to imply is: If attacked and in any way given the oportunity to diffuse the situation.(i.e. walk away, run away, talk away, etc.) Would/Have you use/used your Aikido techniques in a physical sense to diffuse the situation, or would/did you first attempt to diffuse the situation by the options listed above? And in either case, what would you have done differently after thinking it through?

Thanx,
Scott
Old 08-16-2001, 01:41 PM   #10
BC
Quote:
Originally posted by ronin_10562
I don't like the word run away, it evokes a sense of cowardice.
I've heard some folks call it "Nike waza."

Robert Cronin
Old 08-16-2001, 01:49 PM   #11
[Censored]

Which is the safest option?

1) Attempt to disarm/disable an assailant with a gun (from close range, of course).
2) Attempt to outrun a bullet.
3) Pray that the person who threatens you with a gun, hasn't already decided to shoot you within the next 5 seconds.
Old 08-16-2001, 04:12 PM   #12
dainippon99
Dojo: Tulsa Aikido & Jujutsu
wise man say:
fight for life. not for wallet.

(wallet interchangeable with pride. life interchangeable for the lives of others.)

Always be well,
Bobby David
Old 08-16-2001, 08:44 PM   #13
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
i think running isnt a sign of cowardice....why fight when you dont have to? but i do think however, running is a second last resort (last resort being fighting of course.....yonkyo "sorry officer he ran into the brick wall") anyways what im saying is depending on the circumstances many fights can be avoided. I was in a position that almost ended up in a fight, entirely my fault at the beggining. Whilst in Japan, I had become used to the majority of people not being able to understand my english, and was having a bit of fun with this. Whilst sitting in matsuya (anyone who's been to japan will probably know this cheap restauarant) at 5am, I made a light hearted but smart assed comment about another customer. To my disbelief he understood, and being a very big angry asian (i realised he wasnt japanese) he took it quite hard. Wanting to fight me he started abusing me and telling me to get up and come outside and fight him. He was very serious and i felt my body getting ready for a fight (possibly a chance to test my aikido) but first i decided its better to try and avoid it. Confidentaly I turned and looked at the enraged asian and said "im very sorry about what i said, it was a silly thing to say, and i dont like to fight" At which point the persons attitude completely changed, he replied "i dont like to fight either, im sorry i got so angry" we both ended up apologising to each other numerous times, and then myself and my friend left the restaurant. On the way out i told my friend "there i just showed you some aikido" ....his reply was of course "but you didnt do anything" .......exactly! hehe

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!