Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
Sadez

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States
How do you explain it..

I've only been doing Aikido for about a month, and I'm really loving it. I've tried to explain how much fun it is to a few friends of mine, and even showed them some video clips on the web..
And for some reason they just don't understand that it's fun..

Has anyone else had this? Where people just look at you funny and say.. being thrown is fun?
How do you really explain the fun aspect of Aikido to someone?

Old 08-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: How do you explain it..

Aikido can only be understood by doing. There seems to be no way of truly explaining it. At least I haven't found the words for it yet.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:29 AM   #3
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Golf is fun too... until you slice and hook. So generally, each person has to discover what he likes about something. You can't teach someone to like something.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:34 AM   #4
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines

Yeah, in my experience thats the way it is...

friends would usually ask me how and why it doesn't hurt etc.... But its only when they try, that they begin to understand.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:31 AM   #5
justin
United Kingdom

it could also be a case of each to there own its not everyones cup of tea, glad your enjoying it though, as your quite new to the art think about writting a diary it is funny to go back in say a years time and read some of the content.

enjoy
Old 08-23-2006, 05:31 AM   #6
dps

Quote:
Sadie Wilson wrote:
And for some reason they just don't understand that it's fun..
There are alot of things that people not doing Aikido don't understand about Aikido. There are some that aren't interested and give you dumb looks, some who are intrigued and give it a try and some with little or no experience that are self proclaimed experts on parts or all of Aikido. Only those who are practicing or have experience will understand what you are talking about. It is all about the practice on the mat.
David

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events not of words. Trust movement. --Alfred Adler
Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #7
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
Only those who are practicing or have experience will understand what you are talking about.
And even then, they may not agree!

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:38 AM   #8
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

It took me several years to get over this. For me, Aikido was and is a wonderful thing, and I could not understand how others could not recognize this obvious fact.

Years later, a friend of mine had his own addictive activity and he wanted me to join. I tried and found I was only mildly interested, while he was enthusiastic....

Amir
Old 08-23-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
dps

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
And even then, they may not agree!

regards,

Mark
Yes, but they will at least understand what you are saying.

Additionally, it seems to me that children are more receptive then adults when
I talk to them about Aikido.

Last edited by dps : 08-23-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events not of words. Trust movement. --Alfred Adler
Old 08-23-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
Additionally, it seems to me that children are more receptive then adults when
I talk to them about Aikido.
true, they havn't had the "that wouldn't work!" "that doesn't make sense!" "why on earth would you do that?" programs installed yet

regards,

Mark

Old 08-23-2006, 06:49 AM   #11
dps

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
true, they havn't had the "that wouldn't work!" "that doesn't make sense!" "why on earth would you do that?" programs installed yet

regards,

Mark

Alot of adults don't remember how to have fun with life.

Last edited by dps : 08-23-2006 at 06:52 AM.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:55 AM   #12
Ewan Wilson
Scotland

Surely it depends on the person you're explaining it to. In terms of fun, you have to appeal to what element of it they would most likely enjoy.

E.g. If you are speaking to a closet masochist, highlight the continuous breakfalls, the constant forcing yourself back up asap to retain your stance or perform nikkyo on him etc.

If you're talking to a hippy, talk about Ki.

etc etc, tailor your explanations to the person you're trying to convey your message to.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:59 AM   #13
MikeLogan

United_States

I had a thought on this last night during a slow bit of practice. It was on why aikidoka seem to enjoy it so much, and so I could only form it on my own impression, the one that surfaced at the moment was a memory of childhood, running wild either from or after siblings and friends, and, if need be, crashing over fences and bushes in the process.

Now consider the ukemi displayed in a children's class. I tend to shudder a bit at the way they hit the ground, but they bounce out of it. I used to bounce out of the same stuff, but we know we can't anymore, due more to weight than ability. Not without reliable ukemi. So, I wonder, do we love it for the ukemi? The experience of receiving technique, and the big wham we make, or choose not to make (for the skilled) (unlike me) and afterward getting up and doing it again?

I wonder if there is some sort of endorphin released, or some palatable amount of adrenaline released that makes it exciting, and only on the fringe of being consciously reminiscent of childhood hi-jinx. Dunno.

On the idea that this excitement is hard to convey to others, I wonder if it has to do with the process that a martial artist must go through to become interested in self-defense. A person has to consciously realize the possibility that unexpected harm may be visited upon their persons without seeming cause and in great contradiction to the law and culture. This can be a frightening prospect, one that is comfortably easy to ignore, and experience in general serves to assuage the fright, too, because the odds are generally against it. Even with that in mind, during practice I have had 'what-if's' come to mind. Some days I think that 'what-if' would turn out ok, other times it makes me think I haven't got a chance. Once a person no longer has an easy time of ignoring the possibility of personal violence, they start looking around for ways to minimize the possibility. Some consider hand-guns, some consider martial arts.

An old girlfriend, when I first started Aikido, came to one class, and watched a few, her interest dwindled, until one night when I wanted to show her something from class she just blew up and demanded dinner. She didn't want to hear about self-defense, and in fact found it insulting to think that she should even have to consider defending herself in what she termed civilized society. This was a progressive and fairly practical woman (notice she demanded that I make dinner), but that she could be in danger of personal attack seemed dangerous just to think about, so she didn't think about it.

One time we were returning to our apartment in college park, MD, and we saw three enterprising young men / older boys working on a bike chain on a semi tree covered and secluded section of fence. She stopped to watch them concluded they were stealing the bike, and started walking over. I corralled her, brought her out of earshot while she righteously claimed they shouldn't be allowed to steal that bike. They noticed us several times and just kept working on the lock. She wanted to at least call the police, but as I had made eye contact with at least two of them, I figured since our apartment was across the lane from them, front door and all, if a cop rolled up in the next 5 minutes they'd be idiots to not connect the two.

She fumed, and decided to call up our friend who was low-level management for a security firm on the west side of D.C.. He was of the guns persuasion of self defense (once answere the door for pizza delivery with a revolver, out of sight but placed in easy reach). She expected complete agreement and commiseration, but instead got "definitely you should not interact with these people, and if the cops stop to ask what's going on or worse, they'll remember it, if not, they'll forget about it in a matter of days.

Unfortunately, only most of the bike was taken, they gave up on the lock and the front wheel. It served as a reminder to both of us, to me of what could have happened, and to her of what should have happened. Should is almost invariably a less likely outcome than could.

wow, long post, haven't had a bomber like that in a while.

michael.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:06 AM   #14
dps

Mike,
I have felt for a very long time that taking ukemi was much like the rough play that I engaged in as a child. That and along with the fact that I can fall down hard and not get hurt makes ukemi fun.
David

Maybe I see Aikido as a chance to play like a child again.

Last edited by dps : 08-23-2006 at 07:09 AM.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ewan Wilson wrote:
Surely it depends on the person you're explaining it to. In terms of fun, you have to appeal to what element of it they would most likely enjoy.

E.g. If you are speaking to a closet masochist, highlight the continuous breakfalls, the constant forcing yourself back up asap to retain your stance or perform nikkyo on him etc.

If you're talking to a hippy, talk about Ki.

etc etc, tailor your explanations to the person you're trying to convey your message to.
And if the person is a hippy masochist, what then?

Old 08-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #16
Brad Pruitt
Dojo: High Desert Aikido
United_States

No-touch throws of course !
Old 08-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #17
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Maybe I see Aikido as a chance to play like a child again. [/quote]

This is the best explanation. This explanation explains why I, at 53, continue. I also know people in their 60's and 70's who continue to practice just for this reason!

In gassho,
Mark
Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #18
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Where else do you get to roll around on the floor giggling in your PJ's with other adults?

... on second thought, don't answer that...
Old 08-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #19
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

I love taking ukemi because......well I guess I dont really know, I suppose if I had to give a reason why, it's because I like the concept of being slammed on the ground with the confidence of knowing I wont be hurt.

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 08-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #20
Mauricio Camargo

Dojo: Kokoro Dojo
Brazil

I practice aikido since 1995. You are right: I really have fun!
But it must be in our blood, running in the veins.Because it is not just a martal art. Is much more than this.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #21
dps

Quote:
Mauricio Camargo wrote:
Because it is not just a martal art. Is much more than this.
Fun? Martial fun?

Old 08-24-2006, 01:55 PM   #22
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

In my opinion Aikido can only be enjoyed through pure will. It's all about personal growth, not the amusment of someone else. A friend of mine wants to sign up to Aikido because he thinks the throws look "cool". Sure, but are you willing to put up with the billions of tenkans everyday before you get to do throws? Everyone has their own personal reasons for training in Aikido, each on a different level of elevation.

To me, Aikido is ultimetly Budo. I don't believe people should get too lost in the true beliefs of inner peace and confidence and forget that Aikido is still intended to handle attack.

(Despite how much confidence you "think" you have in your martial skill)

Last edited by Roman Kremianski : 08-24-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #23
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

Yesterday during practice I didnt feel like I was being thrown far enough, so I kind of jumped in the air at the end of my nage's Koto Gaish (sp?) He was like, "woah, you ok?" im just like "yea, I meant to do that......."

hahaha.

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 08-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #24
Mauricio Camargo

Dojo: Kokoro Dojo
Brazil

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
Fun? Martial fun?
Not martial fun. I said that I have fun with aikido. Is it too hard to understand?
Ok. I respect that.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!