Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-18-2006, 03:03 AM   #1
Taliesin
Bush is ...

A Senior Labour politician - normally criticized for his unintelligible comments (and for punching a protester who threw an egg at him) his made the observation that "Bush is C--p".

It is widely considered in the UK to be the most accurate and succinct description of the only American president who cannot demonstrate he was democratically elected.

I'm just curious how our cousins across the pond were aware of these comments, and how they regard them.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:19 AM   #2
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Bush is ...

David,

John Prescott was reported to have said ( in a private meeting) that Bush's ( or rather his administration's ) handling of the middle east peace proccess was crap, which is not the same as you report above.

Our cousins across the pond deserve the correct information before they can regard it properly

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
Leiv
Uruguay

Well your cousin Leiv thinks he is an embarrassment to the United States.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Our cousins across the pond are not allowed to reply. This thread is subject to Homeland Security investigations.

Dirk
Old 08-18-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I don't know how anyone will take this observation, but whether we like him or not, he "is" the president. Power is a curious and a dangerous thing, like electricity. It becomes a life challenge to us to learn what to do with it, it certainly must be very challenging for the president to handle power.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:23 AM   #6
Leiv
Uruguay

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
..... it certainly must be very challenging for the president to handle power.
I get the feeling that it is challenging for him to handle a pop-up book.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
shodan 83
Dojo: Sho Dojo North Florida Aikikai
United_States

This sums it up nicely.

While suturing a cut on the hand of a 75-year old Texas rancher (whose hand
was caught in a gate while working cattle), the doctor and the old man
struck up a conversation about George W. Bush being in the White House.
The old Texan said, "Well, ya know, Bush is a 'post turtle'." Not being
familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post turtle'
was. The old rancher said, "When you're driving down a country road and you
come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post
turtle."
The old man saw a puzzled look on the doctor's face, so he continued to
explain, "You know he didn't get there by himself, he doesn't belong there,
he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, and you just want to help
the dumb bastard get down!"
Old 08-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #8
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
David,

John Prescott was reported to have said ( in a private meeting) that Bush's ( or rather his administration's ) handling of the middle east peace proccess was crap, which is not the same as you report above.

Our cousins across the pond deserve the correct information before they can regard it properly
Isn't Prescott the Brit politician that is suspected of being on the take? Wait.... let's focus on Bush.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
Luc X Saroufim

i personally believe he has the foreign policy of a baked potato.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #10
Hogan

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Isn't Prescott the Brit politician that is suspected of being on the take? ....
The same one that punched a heckler, and had an extramarital affair, and had most if not all of his portfolio taken away from him, and....
Old 08-18-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:
The same one that punched a heckler, and had an extramarital affair, and had most if not all of his portfolio taken away from him, and....
Ah, but he's a liberal Labour guy, so those trifles don't matter. We do the same thing over here... laws don't really apply to any Democrat politician caught breaking the law, making racist statement, etc. Our news media coverage of errant liberals is restricted to only one day, while any Republican can bask for days in the glow of a misdeed. Hell, liberals will spend their whole day devoting one thread to constant character assassination, just to prove which side is on the moral high ground.

Mike
Old 08-18-2006, 08:08 AM   #12
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

So the post by Eric Lingswiler addresses the situation very well. Do you stand about, making fun of the poor turtle, or do you help the turtle get off the fence post? See, it is true that he did not get there by himself; not a single one of us has gotten where we are singlehanded. The dilemma of the whole world stands on this one principle. In gassho

Mark
Old 08-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #13
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
So the post by Eric Lingswiler addresses the situation very well. Do you stand about, making fun of the poor turtle, or do you help the turtle get off the fence post?
I think I saw the preferred answer on the bumper-sticker of a car yesterday:

"Someone give him a blowjob so we can impeach the Idiot!"

However, I don't know if Bush would be willing to switch Party affiliations.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:51 AM   #14
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Eric Lingswiler wrote:
This sums it up nicely.

While suturing a cut on the hand of a 75-year old Texas rancher (whose hand
was caught in a gate while working cattle), the doctor and the old man
struck up a conversation about George W. Bush being in the White House.
The old Texan said, "Well, ya know, Bush is a 'post turtle'." Not being
familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post turtle'
was. The old rancher said, "When you're driving down a country road and you
come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post
turtle."
The old man saw a puzzled look on the doctor's face, so he continued to
explain, "You know he didn't get there by himself, he doesn't belong there,
he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, and you just want to help
the dumb bastard get down!"
Yeah, that's it!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #15
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Interesting responses,

I pointed out that the report was of Prescott's view of the US administration's handling of the ME peace process. Of course Prescott has been hauled through the media machine recently for some of his obvious gaffs, nonetheless he has been a pretty solid politician for around 3 decades, so his view might count for something. Also you can't call him a liberal labour guy, that in this current party is an oxymoron, we have a liberal democrat party for the liberals. Prescott is the close to what can be termed an 'old' labour politician, as opposed to the 'New' labour that currently runs the roost over here.

There was no personal attack on GWB, that has all come from the posters here.

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:16 AM   #16
Taliesin

Interesting replies

I particularly liked John Hogan's reply

"The same one that punched a heckler, and had an extramarital affair, and had most if not all of his portfolio taken away from him, and.... "

Nice to see that supporting behavior that result a mass of death and destruction put in it's appropriate context when compared to some really horrific behavior.

Still if you don't have the ammunition to attack the message, attack the messenger.

Maybe that's why the criticism of GWB is about his action while attempting to get appointed President and his behavior ever since.

But since you appear think it's the person presenting the argument rather than the merit of the argument is most relevant point let me rephrase the question

Do you think that alcoholic junkie should really be trusted in a position of power?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #17
shodan 83
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I think I saw the preferred answer on the bumper-sticker of a car yesterday:

"Someone give him a blowjob so we can impeach the Idiot!"

However, I don't know if Bush would be willing to switch Party affiliations.
If you want bumper sticker quotes, I love this one:

Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its Idiot.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #18
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
David Chalk wrote:
Nice to see that supporting behavior that result a mass of death and destruction put in it's appropriate context when compared to some really horrific behavior.
FDR led us into World War II.

Germany never attacked us; Japan did.

>From 1941-1945, 450,000 lives were lost ...

an average of 112,500 per year.

Truman finished that war and started one in Korea.

North Korea never attacked us.

>From 1950-1953, 55,000 lives were lost ...

an average of 18,334 per year.

John F. Kennedy started the Vietnam conflict in 1962.

Vietnam never attacked us.

Johnson turned Vietnam into a quagmire.

>From 1965-1975, 58,000 lives were lost

an average of 5,800 per year.

Clinton went to war in Bosnia without UN or French consent.

Bosnia never attacked us.

He was offered Osama bin Laden's head on a platter three times by Sudan and did nothing. Osama has attacked us on multiple occasions.

The Democrats are complaining about how long the war is taking.

It took less time to take Iraq than it took Janet Reno to take the Branch Davidian compound.

That was a 51-day operation.

We've been looking for evidence for chemical weapons in Iraq for less time than it took Hillary Clinton to find the Rose Law Firm billing records.

It took less time for the 3rd Infantry Division and the Marines to destroy the Medina Republican Guard than it took Ted Kennedy to call the police after his Oldsmobile sank at Chappaquiddick

Quote:
David Chalk wrote:
Do you think that alcoholic junkie should really be trusted in a position of power?
Nope, and neither should womanizers and murderers.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 08-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #19
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
David Chalk wrote:
Interesting replies

I particularly liked John Hogan's reply

"The same one that punched a heckler, and had an extramarital affair, and had most if not all of his portfolio taken away from him, and.... "

Still if you don't have the ammunition to attack the message, attack the messenger.
Isn't that a pretty silly response, given that Prescott was doing the name-calling and Bush has never said a word about Prescott? I love how civilized the UK is, though. Look at their economy and crime rate and how dirty the cities are. Shouldn't we focus a few threads on how bad other people are, or is there some fixation about Bush? Right. Bush fixation it is.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 08-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #20
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
The Democrats are complaining about how long the war is taking.
It took less time to take Iraq than it took Janet Reno to take the Branch Davidian compound.
Well, to me the Branch Davidian thing is a lot like what goes wrong in Iraq and Lebanon and Palestine... so much time is wasted trying to not hurt the wrong people and/or offend them that ultimately it winds ups killing more people and offending more than if the job had just been done expeditiously.

I know the Branch Davidian thing is a big deal with some of the Far Right, but hey, they were all there willingly and willingly resisted lawful orders. Sorry it happened.... but...

Same thing in Palestine and Lebanon.... the people democratically voted Hezbollah and Hamas into power; it's a wide-open game now. (Although, to be fair, many Lebanese note that the Syrians of first generation are the ones who mainly voted in Hezbollah).

I.e., the "hearts and minds" stuff doesn't really work so well *during* a conflict; better save it for later.

Love these BS sessions.

Mike
Old 08-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #21
Taliesin

Mike -

get a dictionary for your birthday - that way you won't have to use words you don't understand.

If someone is regarded and described continually as 'the leader of the free world' are you saying it is unreasonable to criticize him no matter how bad a job he does. Why should there be a fixation when he is 'the most powerful man on the planet'. Is it 'silly' to worry about his judgment. Are you saying it's unfair to scrutinise the people in power more than those who aren't

Anyway - the description was a response to John Hogan who felt it was the only way to reply was to criticise precot as a person.

Still, as you are such an expert - perhaps you can tell me which UK cities you are talking about being dirty (assuming you know), what you seem to think is wrong about the economy, and of course how many people get shot and murdered in the UK. (I'm sure it's far cleaner and safer in Detroit - if you want to proceed down this road)

And once you've done that - you can explain why you are unable to defend the sainted GWB either as far as his actions as President are concerned, or given his own personal background.

James

regarding your thread

WWII - Japan was a declared ally of Japan

Korea was a UN action (it took place because the Soviet Representative stormed out instead of vetoing)

Vietnam - Can't say I can be clear about the origins - but weren't there any Republican Presidents between 1962 and 1975 (the name Nixon comes to mind)

Bosnia - Wasn't that NATO - Peacekeeping (like Kosovo)

Iraq - they didn't attack you either (and it wasn't peacekeeping either)- still it's good to know the War in Iraq is over - it's great to see what a country at peace looks like.

Now that I've responded to those points perhaps you'd answer the question about whether the description of Bush (or his foreign policy) as C--p is a fair one or not.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #22
Kevin Wilbanks

I don't see how this can be considered news to anyone who is even slightly informed about the world. The Bush administration's foreign policy is considered crap (or worse) worldwide, the only exceptions being a few wealthy people who benefit from it directly, some people in Israel, and a significant (though still minority) portion of the US public whose primary or only information source is television shows and radio talk shows. Moreover, for all except a very tiny few wealthy and powerful who are getting massive benefits, it actually IS crap. The PNAC people and the fundamentalists are making a headlong push for a giant world war between the west and the middle east for reasons having to do with insider economic opportunity and crazy apocalyptic theology/ideology. How could it not be crap for most people?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #23
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
I don't see how this can be considered news to anyone who is even slightly informed about the world. The Bush administration's foreign policy is considered crap (or worse) worldwide,
Bzzzzzzzzzt. Appeal to authority. The "whole world" is on your side. Good one. Very elitist. Is there any way to discuss issues without the "Bush Derangement Syndrome" constantly raising it's head? Try "Bush is wrong because....".

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 08-18-2006, 12:02 PM   #24
shodan 83
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Bzzzzzzzzzt. Appeal to authority. The "whole world" is on your side. Good one. Very elitist. Is there any way to discuss issues without the "Bush Derangement Syndrome" constantly raising it's head? Try "Bush is wrong because....".

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Mike this would be a PhD dissertation; lets take a few examples;
1) left Afghanistan before the job was done.
2) Was handed a balanced budget and proceeded to plunge the country into massive debt.
3) Invaded a country because the leader once threatened to kill his daddy.
4) removed CIA tracking of Bin ladin before 9/11 as he did not believe in the threat, Clinton came closer to killing bin ladin than W ever will.
5) Believes that evolution is only a theory and creationism as promoted in the new testament is more plausible.
6) Lacks command of his native language

Come on; even my most right wing friends no longer believe the emperor is wearing any clothes.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #25
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

OK, thanks Eric...a naked Bush is an image I just didn't need on a Friday afternoon...

It's bad enough when he has clothes on!
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!