Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
So You Think You Can Dance?

Is anyone else keeping up with this?

Wow! I had absolutely no respect for dance. However, with Aikido training giving me some lessons about the body and then seeing what those people are doing...whew! If a serious dancer stepped onto the mat, I'm certain they'd be a technical powerhouse in a couple months.

I have nothing but respect for dance now.

It's too bad Martha went last night. I think she just didn't care so much about the competition anymore. I think she demonstrated that she was much more talented earlier in the show than what she was delivering lately...but was she nice to look at
Old 07-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
giriasis
United_States
Re: So You Think You Can Dance?

I haven't kept up with the show, but we just had a young woman join who has studied ballroom dancing since her mother is a ballroom dancing instructor. She has been picking up things quickly, but she tends to point her toes and move really lightly.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
NagaBaba

Dancers learn aikido movements VERY quickly. Unfortunately, they seems to have difficulty to accept Budo element in aikido and they disappear rather quickly too

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 07-22-2006, 12:22 AM   #4
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
I haven't kept up with the show, but we just had a young woman join who has studied ballroom dancing since her mother is a ballroom dancing instructor. She has been picking up things quickly, but she tends to point her toes and move really lightly.
Dnacers need to move quickly and efficiently so they are "light" on their feet. We need to move as well but we need power to come out of the movement. So we drop our centers and get lower and more grounded while dancers focus on extension and being as light and responsive as possible.

Howver, you can see some dance where the two come together. I went to school with the members of Pilobolus, the modern dance company. They did some awesome stuff which looked like some movements you'd find in contact improv in which a great deal of grounding was required as one dancer might be totally supporting another while rapid movement was taking place. Those folks could ground out like you wouldn't believe but they could be light as a feather when they needed to be as well. They were real masters of movement...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 07-22-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

my gf a former dancer and gymnast just started aikido and the foot work is coming to her well enough but that is about it

Dan Hulley
Old 07-22-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

I have been reiterating for the past four years that there is absolutely no difference between Atgentine Tango and aikido, except for the differences.
It really depends on the kind of dancing-tango dancers specifically improvise, never know what's going to happen next and demand presence and awareness of your partner, just like aikido, whereas ballet dancers have a great deal of difficulty dealing with the concept of "down".
I do both.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 07-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Tomiki used to recommend ballroom dancing to train in aikido.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 07-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Tomiki used to recommend ballroom dancing to train in aikido.
the running joke in our school is that we are going to start doing ballroom dancing on sundays......

Dan Hulley

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!