Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-19-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
rev.jc
United_States
hello how are you!

My name is james, I do not do Aikado or even know that much about it, I am a fighter (Vale-Tudo) & a promoter.By profession I am pastor of a small Christian church outside Albany NY, and our church runs a grappling club as one of the outreach ministries. I am looking for fighters of different styles for bouts in upstate NY, so over the next few days and weeks you will be seeing my posts here, we are trying to get a varied group of martial artists, and we have no one who is trained in Aikido on our card, so I hope I don't bother you guys much,

our sanctioning body does all of our shows for charity so it is for a goo cause, hope some of you will be interested our fights are Dec 9th outside Albany NY.

By
Old 07-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Bob1970
Dojo: Doshinkan
United_States
Re: hello how are you!

Hey James,
Welcome to the website. I saw your other post real interesting and for a great cause. Unfortunately you may not get many Aikidoist on your card due to the fact that many are not "combat sport" oriented. It is a shame that my leg is not fully healed I would have loved to have tried my hand at it. Hmm December 9th wonder if I would be able to get into shape by then. Anyway it sounds extremely interesting, When do you need a final list of competitors? Even if I can't compete sounds like it would be fun to watch. How can I get tickets?
Bob Braubitz
Old 07-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Bob Braubitz wrote:
Unfortunately you may not get many Aikidoist on your card due to the fact that many are not "combat sport" oriented.
The reason that "not that many are combat sport oriented" is because the Founder of Aikido and the Ueshiba family were opposed to using Aikido for competitions. In other words, the philosophy of Morihei Ueshiba was strictly opposed to competition as a tenet of the very basis of Aikido. Unfortunately (or fortunately for you) there are increasing numbers of people on forums like this one, that either don't know the philosophy of the Founder, don't care, don't like it, don't agree with it, don't understand it or want to change it, who are willing to use Aikido in this way.

I know you have a good purpose. I have found in my life that if you just ask people to do what is right, they will often do much more than you could have imagined. Our organization doesn't charge for anything-Seminars, DVD's, T Shirts and we have raised an incredible amount of money in the last two years for our events. Being that you have a church ( I am pastor as well), you might try another angle besides competitive events.
In any case, I wish you well.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
akiy

Hi James,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Bob1970
Dojo: Doshinkan
United_States

Hey Jorge,
I hope you did not take what I said as slighting Aikido because it truly was not my intention. I just started Aikido myself after spending many years in "striking" arts. Just really kind of telling James he might not find many Aikidoist who would compete. I am aware of the Founders philosophy, obviously being a beginner in aikido, many of you have a much greater understanding of this. Anyway wanted to clarify what I was saying.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

Maybe someone doing Tomiki Aikido will disagree with Jorge and agree with James. Personally I believe in Osensei's philosophy and I don't train to match my skills with others.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Bob Braubitz wrote:
Hey Jorge,
I hope you did not take what I said as slighting Aikido because it truly was not my intention. I just started Aikido myself after spending many years in "striking" arts. Just really kind of telling James he might not find many Aikidoist who would compete. I am aware of the Founders philosophy, obviously being a beginner in aikido, many of you have a much greater understanding of this. Anyway wanted to clarify what I was saying.

I understand.
Best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!