Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States
Straight from bed......

To a freezing cold bathtub. Yep, I guess you could say Im insane. Actually, I've been reading a book by Ki Soceities founder Koichi Tohei.

"Every morning I would leap up as soon as I awakened, run to the bathroom, and dash two or three buckets of cold water over my head and body"

"The cold water baths were the first opportunity. My ki became positive, and plus called forth more plus."

Well, it sucked, but hey, IT'S GOOD FOR ME. Ive just been sitting on here since then though, hehehehe.

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 07-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Guilty Spark

United_States
Re: Straight from bed......

To work on my aikido I wait until my wife is in the shower and then flush the toilet.
My techniques aren't that effective, luckily for me I can run faster scared than she can angry. Still good training

All kidding aside what's the idea behind the freezing cold water?

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 07-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

Quote:
Mikel Hamer wrote:
"Every morning I would leap up as soon as I awakened, run to the bathroom, and dash two or three buckets of cold water over my head and body"

"The cold water baths were the first opportunity. My ki became positive, and plus called forth more plus."

"They are more like 'guidelines' then codes..."

I read the book too but I guess I am too western to want to take a cold bath in the morning... I heard it is a good way to finish off a hot shower though?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Quote:
Mikel Hamer wrote:
To a freezing cold bathtub. Yep, I guess you could say Im insane. Actually, I've been reading a book by Ki Soceities founder Koichi Tohei.

Well, it sucked, but hey, IT'S GOOD FOR ME. Ive just been sitting on here since then though, hehehehe.
I think it's a great idea! I'm no where near as serious as I was a couple years ago (I think I would of tried it to). But it sounds exactly like when you go into the dojo half-asleep. You're not really into class. Then someone totally slams you and you snap to attention.

It be great to start the day like that!...In fact, you've got me a little motivated. I'll splash some cold water on my face tomorrow morning to start

You're not actually washing in the cold water, are you? If so, you're better than me.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Aristeia
New Zealand

check this discussion out
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...dc81304f9463ac

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 07-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Although this concept is used by the Finnish after a sauna (pronounced sow-nah from what I'm told), I would not recommend it if you have heart problems or circulatory problems. You might end up permanently cold. Growing up in Michigan we had a heat wave right after the ice melted off the lake. Like a dummy I thought it would be fun to just jump off the end of the pier. The shock of the cold literally took my breath away and I could hardly move-lucky the water wasn't too deep. I now prefer a more gradual approach. .
Old 07-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
statisticool
United_States

My bathroom water pipes are so *bleep* that they alternate between extremely hot and extremely cold anyway.

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 07-23-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
Mike Hamer

United_States

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote:
To work on my aikido I wait until my wife is in the shower and then flush the toilet.
My techniques aren't that effective, luckily for me I can run faster scared than she can angry. Still good training

All kidding aside what's the idea behind the freezing cold water?

The point is the point......the one point that is, in the lower abdomen. The uncomfortability right from rising in the morning kind of forces you to locate your center immediatly.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:35 PM   #9
Mike Hamer

United_States

Quote:
Jean de Rochefort wrote:
I think it's a great idea! I'm no where near as serious as I was a couple years ago (I think I would of tried it to). But it sounds exactly like when you go into the dojo half-asleep. You're not really into class. Then someone totally slams you and you snap to attention.

It be great to start the day like that!...In fact, you've got me a little motivated. I'll splash some cold water on my face tomorrow morning to start

You're not actually washing in the cold water, are you? If so, you're better than me.

No, I just sit in the tub with the freezing water for a minute or so, splashing it on my body, then I take my normal shower

Old 07-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

I used to use really cold showers to practice my centering and breathing. Wakes you up pretty good at the very least.

Also lived with no hot water for three months in Ethiopia, but there the water was never that cold.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

I find that after a good work out or training session that standing in a luke warm shower, and making it progressively colder is a good way to cool down. If you start from freezing straight away then your body shuts down, and as soon as the water stops it tries desperately to warm you up, so you end up where you started, only much much wetter.

The finishing with a really cold blast of water thing is good for early morning showers, they kind you use just to wake yourself up. Its fun................ for about 5 seconds

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 07-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #12
Mike Hamer

United_States

Ive had a hard time making myself do it latley, I was able to this morning though.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #13
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Quote:
Mikel Hamer wrote:
No, I just sit in the tub with the freezing water for a minute or so, splashing it on my body, then I take my normal shower
You're still better than me. I could only splash cold water on my face...and that was only once...but I felt great afterward.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #14
Mike Hamer

United_States

Its all a test of willpower man....

Old 08-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #15
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

....To the Pub!!

God I wish they showed Australian rugby matches here more often!!

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #16
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I actually have noticed an improvement in body connection on the days that I do the cold water dousing after a hot shower. Especially on saturdays when I go from the shower to the dojo. But I don't understand at all why this should be.

Does anyone from the Ki group (Dan, Mike, Gernot, Rob) have any ideas ***how*** or why this seems to help?

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #17
Mike Hamer

United_States

Im not exactly from the Ki "group" but I still follow the principles. I think it's because in order to do something like that without expiriencing extreme discomfort, you must use your mind to overcome your bodys natural responses to such a situation. In doing so, you set an example for the rest of the day that shows the mind controls the body, and it becomes easier to make this a reality in daily life when from the begining you show yourself that this is true.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:19 PM   #18
Ron Tisdale
United_States

That is quite possibly a large part of it...they say the mind leads the qi...

Anyone else?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 08-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #19
Mike Hamer

United_States

I plan on training with the Ki Soceity someday in my life......Id definitley have to relocate though..

Old 08-08-2006, 04:56 AM   #20
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I actually have noticed an improvement in body connection on the days that I do the cold water dousing after a hot shower. Especially on saturdays when I go from the shower to the dojo. But I don't understand at all why this should be.

Does anyone from the Ki group (Dan, Mike, Gernot, Rob) have any ideas ***how*** or why this seems to help?

Best,
Ron
Hi Ron,

I'm not being facetious, but why do you need to know? Is it not enough to just 'do' and realise the benefits?

If I gave you a plausible explanation involving changes at the micro cellular or possibly even atomic level, would that make the benefit greater. Also I could be completely wrong

You don't have to understand how a car works to thoroughly enjoy driving it, or to drive it well.

Maybe the cold water cools down your brain which is over heating from trying to understand everything

The mind leads the body, the body can affect the mind.

Cheers

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #21
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Hi Mark,

I'd like to further my understanding of these things because the better I understand it, the better I can make use of it. Why should our practice be brain dead? I'm trying to think of ONE of my instructors who has told me "you don't need to think about this". Let's see...

Utada Sensei "Know your body"
Kondo Sensei "steal my waza if you can"
The seniors in the Yoshinkan...none of them told me to throw out my brain.

In fact, they have encouraged me to do the best I can to figure things out. Now, I may not HAVE to know about these details to be able to do some minimal level of waza based around them...but I certainly will benefit from a greater understanding.

Mind, body and spirit TOGETHER. Why in the world should I let one part atrophy??

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 AM   #22
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Hi Ron,

I'm not advocating brain dead training, far from it. But I have heard my teacher more than once say "you are thinking too much, just do it, don't think!"

In my experience the questioning mind can be both useful and it's own worst enemy. If you ask yourself good questions, fine, if you formulate bad questions then you get correspondingly bad answers. Sometimes trying to see the structure of the make up of the paint prevents you from seeing the beautiful picture.

The use of 'mind' in aikido is not the same as thinking, a fast attack does not allow enough time to think, as I'm sure you are aware, action has to be instinctive, which improves through constant training.

Knowing on an intellectual level is not the same as truely 'knowing'. There are plenty of people who read and digest the aikido philosophy of non resistance, but not so many who can actually do it.

I don't think we are at odds Ron, I too always want to know the reason why something works, but my primary focus is on making something work for my benefit, before trying to understand it.

When we get mind, body and spirit to work together ....hooray!!!

cheers

Mark

Old 08-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #23
Mike Hamer

United_States

Interesting points you have there Ron, and Mark.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #24
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I also don't think we are that far apart. When on the mat, do. No problems there. But I think what we have seen is so many robots out there not thinking about what they do on the mat, when they are off the mat.

Let's take the current topic of ki/kokyu skills as an example, and juxtapose that with say, fast vs slow practice. I've always heard that if you can't close your openings and maintain correct posture and technique when moving slowly...you can't really do it fast either. The added speed may make something *look* like it works, but add in resistance and suddenly it falls apart, because the basics aren't there under the speed.

If you are working with basically cooperative partners, how do you know you ki/jin/kokyu skills are doing what you think? How about if your partners don't understand this area any better than you? Do you rely solely on your teacher? Or do you take the time to analyze what it is you do, apply your reasoning to it, and structure your focus while training against whatever understanding you have before you step on the mat?

The "don't think so much" often does apply while in the physical act of training *at some stages*...but that does not meant to turn off your brain at all times, nor does it mean that you refuse to reason out the mechanics and how and why they work. That would be a cop out. I'm not doing that, thanks.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 08-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #25
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
I also don't think we are that far apart. When on the mat, do. No problems there. But I think what we have seen is so many robots out there not thinking about what they do on the mat, when they are off the mat.
This may be true, however, I am constantly reminding my guys to apply the priciples of aikido in daily life, whether they (or I for that matter) do is another thing.
Quote:
Let's take the current topic of ki/kokyu skills as an example, and juxtapose that with say, fast vs slow practice. I've always heard that if you can't close your openings and maintain correct posture and technique when moving slowly...you can't really do it fast either. The added speed may make something *look* like it works, but add in resistance and suddenly it falls apart, because the basics aren't there under the speed.
I agree with you, I think slow practice is essential to developing the correct fast practice, but fast or slow, ki/kokyo skills are either there or not there.
Quote:
If you are working with basically cooperative partners, how do you know you ki/jin/kokyu skills are doing what you think?
By the results I see / feel with the practice partner. I am reliant on my partner to attack me well enough and to stay connected throught the movement, to test me. I have to have a somewhat co-operative partner who can follow, to be able to find the 'holes' or lack of 'ki' in my technique.
Quote:
How about if your partners don't understand this area any better than you? Do you rely solely on your teacher? Or do you take the time to analyze what it is you do, apply your reasoning to it, and structure your focus while training against whatever understanding you have before you step on the mat?
No, don't rely solely on the teacher, he/she is there to demonstrate the principles, we have to find out through endless trial and error, how to make the principles work for us. We all practice with people who are either further along the path than us ( not directly related to length of time/rank), and those that we are ahead of. We have to learn from all of them.
My biggest lessons have come from practicing with people that frustrate the hell out of me. I initially feel that they are at fault, then I realise that it is me that is the problem.

Quote:
The "don't think so much" often does apply while in the physical act of training *at some stages*...but that does not meant to turn off your brain at all times, nor does it mean that you refuse to reason out the mechanics and how and why they work. That would be a cop out. I'm not doing that, thanks
Turning off your brain at all times is not a good idea, and I hope that isn't what you thought I intended when I answered your earlier post. My point is this, you asked for some input from someone in the Ki group, well, I have enough experience to do and teach numerous different ki developement exercises. One of the most obvious things to me is the lack of thinking going on when being 'tested' correctly, usually the mind is in a 'direction' usually extended forward.
It is my job as a teacher to try and understand the underlying reasons why something works, and to convey to the student what they need to know to understand the test. But as I've said knowing and doing are two different things. Students that try and over analyse these simple tests, tend to take longer to understand them than those that just 'do'.

Just on a slightly different note, I was on a week long seminar with my teacher recently, and we were looking at a nikkyo exercise, he showed me something that completely changed my perception of both the principle and my understanding of it, 'awesome' , I was walking around with a grin on my face for ages afterwards. All my thinking and trying up to that point was not so much in vain, but it didn't provide the quantum leap which took me up to the next level ( that came from a short sharp rap on the knuckles for holding too hard {I honestly thought I was holding without any tension}, as I 'let go' it all fell into place )

Thanks for getting me to think Ron, maybe I don't spend enough time doing it

cheers

Mark

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.