Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 07:22 AM   #176
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Exclamation Re: aikido is weak

I probably should know better, but ....

Quote:
Stuart Caue wrote:
I watched an aikido class and I must say that aikido doesnt work one bit. its very weak and fake.
Stuart, over the summer I heard an anecdote implying that Bruce Lee could watch something ONCE and pick up everything he needed to know about it. Most mere mortals, however -- and the odds are very good it includes you -- are not like Bruce Lee.

If you REALLY want to form an opinion about Aikido, there's only one way: Join the class and do it. Not just once but several times. You still don't like it after all that, go ahead and quit. But you ain't gonna get a handle on it just by watching it. (Love to hear what an NHB guy would say about your karate class.)

Quote:
.... Take karate or kikboxing for some real effective fighting.
I am taking karate -- been doing it for 19 years now. And Filipino Kali, form someone who also holds classes in Pentjak Silat Serak, so I'm doing that. And Tai Chi. My Kali instructor has also studied, and teaches, Jun Fan/JKD and Wing Chun; he's also familiar with boxing and Thai Boxing. When I told him I was thinking of resuming training in Aikido, which I'd first done in the late '80s for a couple of years, his exact words were, "Go for it! You'll be a better martial artist." After I'd started, I told my karate sensei, and he smiled and said, "Oh, good for you."

Anything from them about how it was fake? How I'm wasting my time? Nope. Where does that leave you?

Old 09-04-2004, 07:28 AM   #177
CNYMike
United_States
Re: aikido is weak

Quote:
Stuart Caue wrote:
..... In aikido you just pretend to throw and hold the other guy down on the floor ....
Nope, no pretending involved. If you'd been on the business end of one of those joint locks, you'd know they can hurt like the dickens (especially nikkyo), and that's why you go with it.

In Serak, there's a move that's very similar to nikkyo -- it just doesn't go to the final position in keiza. So one night, I did it. If it had been "fake," my partner would have looked at me funny and shrugged it off. Know what happened? He tapped out right away and asked, "What did you do to me!?"

Nope, no pretending involved. Try it. You'll see.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:00 AM   #178
David_francis

Dojo: St Ives Aikidojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dave Organ wrote:
Uh.....
I have to point out again what was said earlier; the dude left here 3 years ago. What the heck's the point of flogging a horse dead that long?
The kid came on here to troll; so far as I've seen he was just about the most successful troll in recent memory if you guys keep going at it!
Let the topic die, fer gawd's sake.
Hehe i dont think they want to

Old 09-04-2004, 10:14 AM   #179
CNYMike
United_States
Red face Re: aikido is weak

Quote:
Dave Organ wrote:
Uh.....
I have to point out again what was said earlier; the dude left here 3 years ago. What the heck's the point of flogging a horse dead that long?
The point is -- in my case, anway -- I read the date on his post without reading the YEAR; I thought he popped up just last month.

Moral of the story: Never go online before you've had your orange juice.

Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 AM   #180
daniel loughlin
Dojo: Oldham
United Kingdom

if aikido has been a total failure for you have u ever wondered that it could be you thats rubbish and not aikido. you may be a black belt but not a very good 1 by the sounds of things!!

Old 09-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #181
JasonFDeLucia

Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
Stuart Caue wrote:
I watched an aikido class and I must say that aikido doesnt work one bit. its very weak and fake.

Its very sloopy, and weak. I dont get it? Is this really a martial art or a joke? One punch or kick, and you guys are gone. Sloppy women and men doing it. What a joke.

Take karate or kikboxing for some real effective fighting.
if you don''t believe in aikido why come to an aiki forum?but more importantly when you witness intermediate anything ,it doesn't look the same as advanced .i think you should go to the texas aikikai(texas karate is good karate)or even the aiki kai that you visited and challenge the head master just to see what he can show you .tell me what happens then.you'll be unpleasantly suprised.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:44 AM   #182
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote:
That should have been Yoshinkan karate n0t shotokan
Hooker Sensei,

I believe that is "Yoshukai". I have several friends in the dojo here in Montgomery founded by Yuki Koda.

Best regards,

Greg Jennings

Old 09-09-2004, 06:51 AM   #183
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States

Quote:
Troy Copes wrote:
I wounder if Stuart ever took up Greg's challenge? <SNIP> Thats why Stuart never answered Greg. That and the sexual thing.
Troy,

That was several years ago. With preadolescent kids of my own now, I'm much more careful about how I react and what I say to trolls. I worry that I might have scarred the kid for life.

Discretion is often the best part of maturity.

Train deeply,

Greg Jennings

Old 09-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #184
aikido_luver
New Zealand

Quote:
Stuart Caue wrote:

Its very sloopy, and weak. I dont get it? Is this really a martial art or a joke? One punch or kick, and you guys are gone. Sloppy women and men doing it. What a joke.

Take karate or kikboxing for some real effective fighting.
You WATCHED an aikido class. Did you ever join in? I'd like to see you try joining in a class and train with a yudansha. Mayby then you'll change your mind. The only joke here is you. If you dont like Aikido then why come on to Aikiweb?

Tks

Ayla

Old 09-09-2004, 08:03 PM   #185
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Ayla Falloon wrote:
You WATCHED an aikido class. Did you ever join in? I'd like to see you try joining in a class and train with a yudansha. Mayby then you'll change your mind. The only joke here is you. If you dont like Aikido then why come on to Aikiweb?
I can't beleive you people. Stuart posted 13 times on two threads between the 7th and 10th of August 2001. Then he disappeared. He has my admiration for the most succesful Troll ever and with the level of angst displayed here - I'm starting to think he's right.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido

Old 09-10-2004, 12:06 AM   #186
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
I can't beleive you people. Stuart posted 13 times on two threads between the 7th and 10th of August 2001. Then he disappeared. He has my admiration for the most succesful Troll ever and with the level of angst displayed here - I'm starting to think he's right.
Yeah, I admit it. I got suckered into replying before I looked the the date. I'll try to remember in the future.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com

Old 09-13-2004, 11:39 PM   #187
Disciples
United_States

Quote:
Stuart Caue wrote:
ok... You guy's can attack me all you want but, you know i'm right. Deep down inside that is you know.

In karate you can punch and kick although I think kick boxing is even better because you really know how to punch ( gloves) and kick a lot (you hear.. KICKboxing). In aikido you just pretend to throw and hold the other guy down on the floor (or women).

You know! A hard kick will stop you in your spin's. spin.....kick... fall.

You SAY you are better than karate or kick boxing but where's your proof, all you do is pretend with each other? I've never even seen an aikido fighter in a real match. Take off your shirt and try to fight. It will never happen right? Just a lot of talking and talking.

Dude...you sound like the biggest dumb ass in the world right now. How dare you accuse Aikido of being weak. If you are ever in SC, come to Columbia to Stronghold Gym on either Tuesday or Thursday or even a Saturday and see how weak it is. I do agree with you to a degree, some students tend to fake the falls and throws and even the pins. I, myself on the otherhand, was told I either throw to hard, pin to the point of breaking a shoulder, or something like that and I'm just a beginner. How did I learn it you ask? Because I took what I learn when I was going against it and then tried it myself. Better yet, go up to any instructor of any type of Aikido and attack them out of the blue without warning. I garuntee you will be suprised as to how real Aikido is.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:11 AM   #188
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Another sucker to reply the post...

Hey Chris, little Stuart the throll stopped posting here since 2001. I bet he has lots of things on his mind now to actually reply to you, you know adolescent stuff; homework, teeth braces, acne, girlfriend etc. I bet my last dollar his concern are now these things and not answering to your invitation...So give his thread a rest will ya?

Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:20 AM   #189
CNYMike
United_States

.... it just keeps going and going and going and going ....

(Like I didn't get suckered in, too. )

Old 09-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #190
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Why don't we move this thread into "Humor" section? That would resolve the conflict

Old 09-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #191
aikido_luver
New Zealand

lol, i didnt look at the date either...lol...oh well s*** happens.

ayla

Old 09-14-2004, 05:43 PM   #192
akiy

This thread has gotten pretty pointless. Closing...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Closed Thread