Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 05:43 AM   #151
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Re: Visitors

Hay George here is another little story
Several years ago when I moved to Pensacola Florida I was trying to get a small club started. Jerry Blank was a young man that had just won the World Full Contact Karate Championship in Hong Kong. Such things were big at that time. He was a very nice young man interested in Aikido but not in wasting his time. He had a large Shotokan Karate School going at that time as well. He ask me if we could train together for a few moments. We did and after that he helped me set up a club and gave me the honor of sending his several of his ranking students over to get me going. Later that year the founder of Shotokan Karate, Yamamoto Sensei came to visit his American students and Jerry brought him to an martial arts demo where all the schools from that part of the state gathered at the university. A lot of karate and judo and other stuff. He never moved when each group did their thing. When we finished he stood and applauded and for several years after that whenever he came to America he would ask me to set with him as he reviewed his students. I reckon he saw something he liked.

Dennis Hooker
www.shindai.com

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
We had a karate student come in a couple opf yaers ago who had been told by his karate teacher that Aikido was a waste of time and didn't work. He was brought in by a couple of my Aikido friends who knew him and wanted to give him some exposure. He was really rather nice, not obnoxious at all and was in great shape so I proceeded to bounce him all over the dojo for two hours and when he left he wanted to find an Aikido school near where he lived so he could train. I guess it was different from what he had been told.

I remember the old days at Mary Heiny Sensei's dojo where there were a large number of accomplished female practitioners. My friend Mark Reader would come into the men's changing room and tell me that he really wanted a good workout that night so he would then say in a STAGE WHISPER "I really don't think that girls are suited for Aikido" all the while with a big grin on his face. He would then get the workout of his life from all the women who had overheard him. It was very funny and typically Reader.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com

Old 05-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #152
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Re: aikido is weak

That should have been Yoshinkan karate n0t shotokan

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com

Old 05-21-2004, 08:43 PM   #153
Troy

Dojo: Yellow Springs Aikido
United_States

Hello,
I read your post. I once thought the way you do. I looked at photos, and what-not. Then I started reading about Aikido. I do not know what you saw, but I can understand why you thought it was a weak art.

In Aikido, we train "unrealistically" to better understand the dynamics of the technique and of the human body. The Uke (attacker) and the Nage (defender) work together to understand and learn. Once they both understand the technique more, they can play with it. Go faster, resist a hold, pin, or throw easier. I can say, that once you feel the FULL POWER of an Aikido technique, you will be sour for a few days. That is why, in Aikido, we do not use the full power of the art in the Dojo. But if we do, it is with the Sensei and the highest ranking student, and it is for the purpose of demonstraiting the tech, but that rarely happens.

We also train with Bokkens (wodden swords) so we can more understand the Art. almost all of the moves in Aikido where taken from swordman-ship forms. Using the Bokken helps us better our center of gravity, and helps our movement.

Their is ALOT I have learned sence I opened my mind a bit more, and now I love it. IN Karate-Do, and Kick Boxing, you train slow and "fake looking" as well. This is so you can better understand the art. And if you do have to use it on the street, the movements will be in your muscle memory, because you trained slow, and built up your streanth.

I could go on forever, and I'm sure you could too. Like I said earlier... I was once like you.

I am reminded of a passage from an Aikido book I read over and over. A kick boxer was at an Aikido seminar in japan. He was told "NEVER attack an Aikido man! You will be thrown for sure if you do!" So, he sat and watched for a bit, and he thought as you did. So he hesitated in attacking, and when he did finally attack... he was thrown ten feet.

If you have any more questions, PLEASE, feel free to e mail me
NewType@white-star.com
I love talking about Aikido and martial arts in general. ANd I feel that I can help you in your journey, where ever it may lead you in the Budo world.

Take care,

Troy Copes
7th Kyu
Yellow Springs Aikido (www.ysaohio.com)

"The Art of Peace is the religion that is not a religion; it perfects and completes all religions."
-Morihei Ueshiba

Old 05-21-2004, 08:50 PM   #154
Troy

United_States

Oh yeah...

In Aikido, we don't "fight" really. We defend ourselves, while not harming the attacker. This way, we defeat the attacker from the inside out. So he will think that he isn't so bad-ass as he thought he was, and give up fighting people, which will save others from the attack or what-have-you.

"The Art of Peace is the religion that is not a religion; it perfects and completes all religions."
-Morihei Ueshiba

Old 05-21-2004, 11:46 PM   #155
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

To Stuart and the Gentleman who said aikido failed him: Let me set the record straight. I studied kung fu and some karate for 7 years prior to studying aikido. In every martial art, it takes time to learn and understand the "practical application" side of a martial art. In aikido, this process takes even longer. The reason is too long for me to post here, but I will say that even though the process takes longer, aikido is more practical in a self defense situation. Stuart! Alot of people watch an aikido class and feel the way you do, because they don't understand what they're looking at. If you saw someone attack me and I did an aikido technique, it would look smooth and all and the person would nicely go flying through the air. Looks pretty and too easy! However, what you don't realize is that my partner is receiving the technique. This helps me to learn proper application and keeps my partner from being hurt.

One day, a person who took karate was talking the same kind of trash you were. He came at me very quick and very strongly with a punch. I started to do an aikido technique ans stopped half way through and had the guy stuck. The reason I stopped was because, if I had finished doing the technique, I would have broken his elbow backwards! The whole thing would have lasted about 15 seconds. The outcome lies within the person, not the art. I have seen martial artist lose a fight to a street fighter. By the way, what martial art do you study?
You probably won't change your opinion, but before you stand your ground on this one, try and meet Greg Jennings challenge and see what you think after you get up off of the floor! There's nothing to it, but to do it!

Old 05-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #156
emptymind
United_States

Aikido is very real, I've had the privilege of being Uke for my Sensei whenever we practiced hard during randori. I can only say that we in our class would commit fully to punching and kicking at Sensei and received his iriminage. My shoulder blades would hit the mat in a flash before everything else landed. I'd lose my wind on impact! I have never been dropped like that before! Since then I have continued to practice and become more accustomed to breaking hard falls. Aikido is real.
Respectfully, student.

Old 05-25-2004, 05:00 AM   #157
Green Machine

Dojo: Iwama Ryu Caerphilly
United Kingdom

It seems this Stuart has hit a raw nerve with a lot of people hear. I would not lower my self to take the bait and come down to his level. Surely aikido as I have been taught is the art of fighting without fighting. I would rather try to de-fuse any situation than act upon it. Looking at the origional post he stated that he watched a class, if I watched a class then I would not be to impressed either, but watching and taking part are to different things, also when in class one is training and therefore no real aggresion is taking place, we are basically training our bodies and mind to do these techniques in an instant without thinking about it. So Aikido if used is an effective martial art so sorry Stuart I think you should use a try before you buy attitude.

Domo Arigato Andrew

Old 07-09-2004, 09:31 PM   #158
Troy

United_States

I wounder if Stuart ever took up Greg's challenge? I know the type of poeple that Stuart sounds like, and they would NEVER show up for a match alone. They fear challenges. Thats why Stuart never answered Greg. That and the sexual thing.

-Morihei Ueshiba

Old 07-10-2004, 02:51 AM   #159
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Hey Troy,

The original thread starter by the name of Stuart started this thread three years ago. My guess is he probably will not visit this forum again. My second guess is what he saw in the dojo were some 65 year old grandms doing aikido while waiting for their grandchildren to finish ballet class next door. No wonder he said that aikido weren't impressive as effective martial art.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.

Old 07-10-2004, 02:57 AM   #160
David Kerr
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido/ Kilmarnock
Eek! Re: aikido is weak

Hey Stuart have a day off, you don't have to be a dick every day of your life.
If you keep threatening to go down to peoples dojo's and sort them out, someone somewhere is sure to bounce a suburi bokken right off your nut........ but I doubt it would do any good.

P.s

I'm a karate man, karate man bleed on the inside.
Woaaah!

Old 07-12-2004, 02:46 AM   #161
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Stuart Caue wrote:
ok... You guy's can attack me all you want but, you know i'm right. Deep down inside that is you know.

In karate you can punch and kick although I think kick boxing is even better because you really know how to punch ( gloves) and kick a lot (you hear.. KICKboxing). In aikido you just pretend to throw and hold the other guy down on the floor (or women).

You know! A hard kick will stop you in your spin's. spin.....kick... fall.

You SAY you are better than karate or kick boxing but where's your proof, all you do is pretend with each other? I've never even seen an aikido fighter in a real match. Take off your shirt and try to fight. It will never happen right? Just a lot of talking and talking.
Excuse me, but I do both karate AND aikido (in a somewhat limited capacity) and even I can see you have no clue.

Both are valid arts, with many good points. Karate is great for atemi, locks throws, pressure points etc., It's very instant and you can use most of it right away, but it's very strength based.

Being one of the girls I find some karate techniques difficult to work due to being smaller and not as strong. And that's despite years of training and going to the gym specifically to develop strength to do the techniques. I also know that my effectiveness will reach a peak and decline past a certain age or with any injuries.

Aikido is definitely not as easy be effective from day one, but those guys keep going from strength to strength as they continue to train, even when they're getting on a bit. I've done my utmost to give them a hard time, but still, they overcome my attack and make it look easy, and that's including the smaller practitioners. So aikido is a good investment for the future but it takes time and patience to develop the physical and mental condition which I respect so much in my fellow students. Aikido is not for individuals with the attention span of a goldfish!

Quite frankly , I think you are misinformed.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:50 AM   #162
Martin Ruedas

Dojo: Makiling Southside
Philippines

Looks like Stuart isn't ready for Aikido. Let's just leave him, I think he's just a "little" kid. You can watch power rangers now Stuart.

Old 09-02-2004, 06:37 AM   #163
Peter Seth
Dojo: Zanshin. Sunderland University
England
Wink Re: aikido is weak

Well Stuart.
You are a little tinker!! Did you generate the 'wind up' responses you wanted, or are you serious?
If you are, please take this as a sincere and honest expression of my aikido experience.
I have over 40 'cumulative' years (not 40 times 1 year) experience in MArts. Studied the usual: Karate, Judo, jujitsu, Aikijitsu, kickboxing, various chinese arts, etc, etc. The past 25+ years primarily Aikido - which I find is eminently adaptable and gives the oportunity to add elements of any other arts if required (usually as a back up). I am currently adapting my Aikido to the so called 'soft' side - 'hard' ? - been there done that! - has limits and can be a little 'immature' as an element of the art. I am constantly discovering the real 'power' of 'Ai Ki' and to be honest it is a little scary, it frightens me that done 'in the flow' how dangerous the potential of taking/accepting someones energy, controlling the flow and returning as necessary is. Aikido done properly can be either very gentle or in a heartbeat, LETHAL. I am getting on a bit - over 50 - and at my time of life I see (or hope I see) life as something which should be enjoyed with as little hassle as possible.
So without going out of my way to avoid conflict, I try to meet it in an Aiki manner. Anyone who is 'in my face' has a problem, its their problem not mine - but I will help them to sort it out if they wish. If they 'insist' on a more physical solution I will also oblige, but try to (using aiki) reconcile them to the folly of their own immaturity. This seems to be the thought process you currently have - aggressive - judgemental (uninformed judgement) - and a little immature, but thats only my opinion using (uninformed judgement)?
Cheers son.

PS: I havn't had a real fight for a few years now - and I am proud of the fact. Must be getting good at the use of Ai, if you understand what I mean. This is the secret of the art and O'senseis real message!

PPS: Almost forgot, 'ATEMI' (vital point strikes) are an integral part of Aikido and can be done with ANY part of the body at ANY time during the flow of energies!

Last edited by Peter Seth : 09-02-2004 at 06:43 AM.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:00 AM   #164
Zato Ichi

Uh, Peter, you do realize that Stuart's last post was August, 10, 2001, at 3:12 PM? Over three years ago?

If he's still here lurking, I'm sure he's having a good laugh that people are still responding to his little inane tirade.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:24 AM   #165
Peter Seth
Dojo: Zanshin. Sunderland University
England
Smile Re: aikido is weak

Hi.
My reply will also cover anyone else with similar opinions of Aikido. Anyway maybe he has grown up a bit since then.
Pete

Old 09-02-2004, 08:46 AM   #166
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Peter Seth wrote:
Hi.
My reply will also cover anyone else with similar opinions of Aikido. Anyway maybe he has grown up a bit since then.
Pete
He's probably not reading this anymore. Perhaps he's busy discovering girls, alcohol etc., Tis 3 years ago now.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:35 AM   #167
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Girls and alcohol beat trolling on forums anyday

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.

Old 09-02-2004, 03:50 PM   #168
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Stuart Caue wrote:
I watched an aikido class and I must say that aikido doesnt work one bit. its very weak and fake.

Its very sloopy, and weak. I dont get it? Is this really a martial art or a joke? One punch or kick, and you guys are gone. Sloppy women and men doing it. What a joke.

Take karate or kikboxing for some real effective fighting.
Absolutely right, go train at one of these other schools!

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com

Old 09-02-2004, 08:00 PM   #169
Emily Fine
Dojo: Aikido Academy, Community Center
United_States

Hold on...doesn't aikido teach you NOT to fight, if you can?
Stu, a principle of aikido is to protect your attacker, to show compassion, and not to be someone who enjoys attacking people. Aikido is mainly defensive. I'm sorry you didn't like what you saw at the dojo you visited, but that might have been because of the sensei. Don't knock it until you've tried it- you said you watched, but you didn't even get on the mat!!!

Points made, your arguments are so redundant, and they make me wonder how old you are. You sort of sound like your eleven or twelve. Please just get a hobby and leave us alone.

Best wishes,

~Emily

Old 09-02-2004, 08:36 PM   #170
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Emily Fine wrote:
Hold on...doesn't aikido teach you NOT to fight, if you can?
Hi Emily;

Totally forgetting about Stu I must say that for some (myself included) Aikido teaches us how to fight and by doing so transcends the need.

As a martial way teaching you how NOT to fight is a contradiction in terms.

Stu is a clueless child who may or may not have seen a dojo where the idea of Budo was forgotten.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido

Old 09-03-2004, 08:55 AM   #171
Christopher Bianco
guest1234 & Aikido Is Weak Thread

Hello Everyone,

I've been very interested in studying Shinshin Toitsu Aikido, and I plan on visiting a local school this week to observe. And as with anything I'm interested in, I invest countless hours researching the subject. Shinshin Toitsu Aikido seems (from what I've read) to mirror my own personal beliefs and philosophies, so this will be the study I choose to pursue.

However, I stumbled across this forum a few days ago, and began browsing through a few threads. I must say...I'm a bit disheartened.

In a recent thread titled "Aikido is Weak" I read these word:

"I can't believe you guys!! If a person for the first time came to this Aikido web site and viewed this thread, what would they think about Aikido and the Aikidoka?"

I'll tell you what I think. I think I was wrong. I think Aikido is wrong. I think that people are people. I think that no matter what kind of training you get, it won't change you. It won't TEACH you non-agression as so many aikido-affiliated websites claim. If you enter an art that stresses benevolence, you won't become benevolent. You will only learn the martial techniques of a benevolent art.

Benevolence comes from the heart...the soul...it cannot be taught. But it CAN be seen. Observed. And therefore, it can be FOUND.

Aikido talks of non-agression, kindness, understanding, and oneness. I found little of that in the thread mentioned above. But then...there is "guest1234".

Guest1234 reminds me of a story I read regarding Aikido. I'm sure you all know it. It seems famous enough. It's about an aikido student, a train, a foul-tempered drunk, and a kind-hearted old man.

Guest1234 reminds me of that old man. The sentiments, the generosity, and the understanding.

And so the purpose of this thread is to show my appreciation for guest1234, whoever you may be. You alone have strengthened my conviction to study aikido, and I look forward with renewed anticipation to the day I become a student of this marvelous art.

Thank you, guest1234. I hope that my future instrctors share your heart. And I hope that my actions, like yours, will be seen and observed by others. If they are, I've faith that I will eventually learn the true meaning of aikido.

Sincerely,
Christopher Bianco =)

Old 09-03-2004, 09:14 AM   #172
AsimHanif

Go to Furman College and see David Shaner Sensei. He is the Chief Instructor of the Eastern Ki Federation and a very nice person. He is very close Tohei Sensei and is also a Prof of Asian Studies. He is the man.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:56 AM   #173
Tatiana
Dojo: Lenwakan
Brazil

Stuart... No one pretends to be better than no one... No martial art is better than the next... But I would advise you to keep your big trap shut! Aikidoka tend to stick together, so you're fighting a loosing battle here.... It's just you, agenst more than 1000.....

Quote:
Stuart Caue wrote:
ok... You guy's can attack me all you want but, you know i'm right. Deep down inside that is you know.

In karate you can punch and kick although I think kick boxing is even better because you really know how to punch ( gloves) and kick a lot (you hear.. KICKboxing). In aikido you just pretend to throw and hold the other guy down on the floor (or women).

You know! A hard kick will stop you in your spin's. spin.....kick... fall.

You SAY you are better than karate or kick boxing but where's your proof, all you do is pretend with each other? I've never even seen an aikido fighter in a real match. Take off your shirt and try to fight. It will never happen right? Just a lot of talking and talking.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:04 AM   #174
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

What a waste of time stuart.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru

Old 09-03-2004, 11:11 AM   #175
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada

Uh.....
I have to point out again what was said earlier; the dude left here 3 years ago. What the heck's the point of flogging a horse dead that long?
The kid came on here to troll; so far as I've seen he was just about the most successful troll in recent memory if you guys keep going at it!
Let the topic die, fer gawd's sake.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.

Closed Thread