Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 02:00 PM   #101
guest1234
I loved the story about the general and the monk, Ledyard Sensei; I bet I wasn't the only one who felt a cold shiver pass through me thinking about what kind of an invitation you could extend if you desired...
hmm, on the other hand, when I first started flying, I got my best rides by telling the pilots they couldn't make me sick...maybe I could get really intense training if I wandered into dojos telling the instructors their technique was pitiful
First, I guess I should check on my medical coverage, however

Old 08-11-2001, 02:51 PM   #102
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Visitors

Quote:
Originally posted by ca
I loved the story about the general and the monk, Ledyard Sensei; I bet I wasn't the only one who felt a cold shiver pass through me thinking about what kind of an invitation you could extend if you desired...
hmm, on the other hand, when I first started flying, I got my best rides by telling the pilots they couldn't make me sick...maybe I could get really intense training if I wandered into dojos telling the instructors their technique was pitiful
First, I guess I should check on my medical coverage, however
We had a karate student come in a couple opf yaers ago who had been told by his karate teacher that Aikido was a waste of time and didn't work. He was brought in by a couple of my Aikido friends who knew him and wanted to give him some exposure. He was really rather nice, not obnoxious at all and was in great shape so I proceeded to bounce him all over the dojo for two hours and when he left he wanted to find an Aikido school near where he lived so he could train. I guess it was different from what he had been told.

I remember the old days at Mary Heiny Sensei's dojo where there were a large number of accomplished female practitioners. My friend Mark Reader would come into the men's changing room and tell me that he really wanted a good workout that night so he would then say in a STAGE WHISPER "I really don't think that girls are suited for Aikido" all the while with a big grin on his face. He would then get the workout of his life from all the women who had overheard him. It was very funny and typically Reader.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com

Old 08-12-2001, 08:43 AM   #103
Brian H
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Wink My challenge

Stuart is obviously a young guy, full of piss and vinegar. I am older and full of beer and beans. I CHALLENGE Stuart to join men in an small, unventilated room to see who can walk out a man.

Old 08-12-2001, 03:09 PM   #104
mj
Hi Brian
You're invinting him to a drinking competition?
Oooooh....
in vino veritas

Last edited by mj : 08-12-2001 at 03:21 PM.

Old 08-12-2001, 03:31 PM   #105
Jim23
Ha ha! . Good one!

That must be the best post in this thread.

And if they end up sparring, remember to aim for the middle person.

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false

Old 08-12-2001, 03:35 PM   #106
guest1234
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Hi Brian
You're invinting him to a drinking competition?
Oooooh....
in vino veritas
uh, I think it is more like a Ki breathing exercise

Old 08-12-2001, 04:19 PM   #107
Armyaiki
Dojo: St. Louis Aikikai
I have been watching this post for days and was quite shocked to see the reaction that Stuart got to his attack. I then thought that I would want to bash him, along with most others ( notible exceptions Colleen, George Ledyard Sensei, and Andy Hertz). I was reminded by these last posts truly what Aikido is about. To me Aikido is about controlling yourself for it is easy to hurt and maim someone. This takes no skill. The thing I have gotton from my very short time in Aikido is that making my enemy my friend is what Aikido is about. If you can master this technique then you will not have to worry about being the biggest badass on the planet, because you will only have friends.

Quite an incoherent ramble, but I hope I got the point across.

AI

Old 08-12-2001, 04:53 PM   #108
mj
Hi ArmyAiki
I agree.
But could I point out (again)..
I don't think I have attacked Stuart
However... if he starts to pick on me personally... I'll pay Jun to give me his server address. (joke)
Thanks Jim
I feel a return to long lost form coming.
What is it you Yoshinkan guys say?
'Enter through form, exit from form'

Old 08-12-2001, 05:45 PM   #109
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
army aiki when did I attack stuart I just gave him advice and shruged saying everyone is different i never attacted that he was evil or anything..... but I agree hey CA wanna nother story

there was an old flute player, and a theif. the theif tryed to steal whatever money the flute player had. but the flute player began playing his flute and overwhelmed the theif with his music.

no that is extended ki!!!

Dallas Adolphsen

Old 08-12-2001, 08:07 PM   #110
Phil Traunstein
Dojo: Red Sun Aikido
Aikido is weak?!

Hi Stuart,
Great post. It has stimulated so many great responses, from the ridiculous to the sublime. After reading all those posts aren't you just a little curious? I would be or was two decades ago. Actually I still am. There is so much to learn. The roots of Aikido lie in the sword arts and in the spear. My biggest fear is not a young strong buck coming into the dojo to challenge but that I will run out of time.
Thank you everyone for your posts.
Phil

"Reality is quite different from
our concepts."
Thich Nhat Hanh

Old 08-12-2001, 09:34 PM   #111
guest1234
Hi Dallas,
So the musician was able to show the thief the beauty in his world, and change his intent from evil? Nice story!

Old 08-13-2001, 10:20 PM   #112
darin
Re: aikido is weak

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart
I watched an aikido class and I must say that aikido doesnt work one bit. its very weak and fake.

Its very sloopy, and weak. I dont get it? Is this really a martial art or a joke? One punch or kick, and you guys are gone. Sloppy women and men doing it. What a joke.

Take karate or kikboxing for some real effective fighting.
Think about this:

1. My brother, brown belt and social worker often dealing with problem children, successfully dissarmed a teenager attacking him with a pool cue.

2. friend, who was a yellow belt, was having his pocket picked. He turned around and twisted the pick pockets wrist.

3. I showed a workmate who knows nothing about aikido a simple technique. He used it in a bar, on a man much bigger than himself, to break up a potential fight.

Old 08-13-2001, 11:15 PM   #113
cbrf4zr2
Aikido doesnt work?

Well neither do swords, or katanas, or...

<Scene 1>
There's nice shiny katana sitting on the table - one of the most deadly non projectile weapons in the world. And it just sits there - but wait it's not killing anyone - oh man these katanas suck, it doesn't even do anything. This katana sucks, sucks sucks sucks sucks...it cant even cut fruit.

<Scene 2>
Someone who actually knows how to use it walks in picks it up and slices a concrete slab into two pieces.

Hey guess what it does work after all.
I guess I was a dumbass.

Tell you what Stuart - I haven't been around Aikido long enough to want to redirect all the violent energy you're throwing our collective way. So tell you what - you say you don't want to fly/bus/drive somewhere - I'll come to you. I have 2 weeks vacation left to burn, a free plane ticket to anywhere in the US or Canada, and considering I'm not married or involved with anyone, I have nothing to lose. You say you're too busy to go anywhere - I'll go against "proper Aikido"
and I'll come to you. All I need is 30 seconds of your time, and you can go on with your precious, pathetic life.

So tell me Stuart - When and where? And don't give me that "tomorrow" crap, at least give me a reasonable amount of time to get the travel preparations made.

So - all you fellow Aikidoka - should I break his ankle or dislocate his hip and/or knee when he throws his first kick? Please tell me what technique you'd like to seen thrown first.

That's right an aggressive Aikidoka...that's why they call me "Street Uke" at my dojo

Last edited by cbrf4zr2 : 08-13-2001 at 11:24 PM.

...then again, that's just me.

Old 08-14-2001, 12:09 AM   #114
guest1234
Gee, two weeks of vacation time and a free ticket to anywhere...I'm thinking of all the great seminars I could go to, or visit Mom (sorry, it came to mind almost as soon as seminar ), or even just lie on some beach somewhere my beeper won't reach...

Old 08-14-2001, 03:12 AM   #115
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hey Colleen! Ever concidered doing stand up at Aikido dojo parties ? You seem to allways have that extra amount of mental capacity to twist thing around and see it in a funny context. Very 'Aiki' - in my humble opinion. Personally I'm working on that seminar/mom issue by constantly trying to persuade my mom to take up Aikido. She's no spring chicken but I think she would really like it.
Oh by the way - most beepers does have an on/off button

To Edward: I have to say I don't approve on beating up Stuart to prove against he's point - As you say yourself it is not the proper Aiki respons. (Since everybody else by now are busy nodding and telling each other that I certainly understand, I wisper in a low and confidential voice: "Go get him with a Nikyo and a Shiho-nage oh oh oh and give him a really nice and hard Iriminage just to prove your (our) point...." )

See you all!

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration

Old 08-14-2001, 07:34 AM   #116
cbrf4zr2
Colleen -

I JUST got back from a seminar with guest Hatayama Shihan in Chicago, which was great. Even got to throw him and get thrown by him a couple times. I work with family so, I uh - see my mommy plenty. As far as a beach goes - I hate going on vacations alone.

JJF -

I think deep down everyone would like to really show Stuart how effective Aikido can be...that is of course if they feel their Aikido will do the trick.

Stuart

My feeling is this - some people (and I know this for a fact) only take Aikido as a "dance class." I would actually agree with your "Aikido is crap" stance if you saw one of these classes because I've worked with some of these people who only "dance." And these are 3rd/4th kyu and higher ranks. Their Aikido would never be effective if attacked, and they will openly admit it. In fact they have openly admitted it. I personally hate working with people who 'train' in this manner - but to each theor own. Unfortunately, to label the whole art based on seeing a class with what I assume to be dancers (or maybe even perhaps a class with a lot of beginners) is extremely short sighted. If you want to see how it really works however - my offer still stands.

Old 08-14-2001, 12:14 PM   #117
guest1234
Ed,
I'm glad you had such a great time at the seminar...
some of us see a difference between effective and destructive; but then, I like solo vacations because I meet more new folks that way...I guess I'm just one of those who luckily don't have to work on changing anyone but themselves

Old 08-14-2001, 12:20 PM   #118
cbrf4zr2
Colleen

I know the difference between destructive and effective - the 'dancers' I was talking about are neither of those two things. As far as vacations and meeting people - must have something to do with looks, appearance, and presentation - because I never meet anyone when going solo. Then again I've been told I'm a rather imposing figure and unapproachable - so that meeting new people part is non-existant on my end.

Old 08-14-2001, 12:32 PM   #119
guest1234
That's funny, you seem very approachable right now...
Maybe you should try the Netherlands, not only are the Dutch an extremely friendly group, they are on the most part VERY tall...

Old 08-14-2001, 01:17 PM   #120
cbrf4zr2
Colleen

That's cause you ain't seen what I look like. Wow I have a mastertation of the English language.

Old 08-14-2001, 03:52 PM   #121
guest1234
Well, I don't know, take off those dark glasses

just kidding
I find smiling eyes go a long way in making big scary tough guys more approachable...

Old 08-14-2001, 03:55 PM   #122
cbrf4zr2
Really?

Do you know where I can get the smiley face contact lenses?

Old 08-14-2001, 04:04 PM   #123
lt-rentaroo
OK you two, no more flirting; there are some young readers in here

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.

Old 08-14-2001, 04:06 PM   #124
cbrf4zr2
Louis -

I'm pretty sure this isn't flirting - I'm guessing Colleen is old enough to be...well...nevermind...I won't go that far...but I'm pretty sure...um...nevermind.

Old 08-14-2001, 04:49 PM   #125
guest1234
Grandmother, old enough to be your grandmother, I believe were the words you were tactfully avoiding sigh
See, Louis, sounds like a whole new conversation now, right?

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.

Closed Thread