Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 10:19 PM   #26
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart
Whats this? An aikido guy making me a challenge. hahaha, I will fold you in half like a flag and mop the floor with you too. You don't even know me or who I am. My elbow's will hurt you badly and my knees will bend you in half!!!
You make me laugh. You want me to go to come all the way just to fight with you. hahahahaha!!! Silly worried aikido guy.
Answers my question. You're just trolling.

Cheers!

Greg Jennings

Old 08-07-2001, 10:22 PM   #27
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I notice Stuart (from his original post) did not have the balls to get on the mat. He only watched.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido

Old 08-07-2001, 10:25 PM   #28
Stuart
I don't understand you. How did I answer you??

Old 08-07-2001, 10:33 PM   #29
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR
I notice Stuart (from his original post) did not have the balls to get on the mat. He only watched.
He's just trolling.

Just talk about him like he's not here and sooner or later he won't be.

You know, I heard that guys like Stuart troll to compensate for profound sexual inadequacy.

Cheers!

Greg Jennings

Old 08-07-2001, 10:35 PM   #30
guest1234
Stuart, is there something you have a question about that we can answer, or something you need? I don't like being rude to a guest, and you are still hanging around for a reason, so it must be something important to you...I understand you do not like the martial art we practice, and that you prefer yours. Perhaps you need a referal to a kickboxing chat group. Do any of you guys know of one?

Old 08-07-2001, 10:37 PM   #31
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States
rather than taking him up on his challenge you just said "hahahah I am better than you" as normal... okay, aikido sucks, you rule. If I give you a doggie bone (or perhaps some new kickboxing gloves?) will you go away?

Actually, I'll do you one better: I found a new message for you, Stuart.

http://www.salut-valley.com/maft/forum

a bunch of kewl d00d badasses just like you...

After all, do we even deserve to talk to a master as great as you?

I hope one day you can see the art in martial art...

Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."

Old 08-07-2001, 10:40 PM   #32
Nick
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Jennings

You know, I heard that guys like Stuart troll to compensate for profound sexual inadequacy.

Cheers!
Now now Greg... there are children on this forum ... including, I believe, the one it was directed at...

Well put... heh...

Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."

Old 08-07-2001, 10:45 PM   #33
guest1234
Nick, that's perfect! I'm sure he appreciates it. (uh, the website, not the next post...)

Old 08-07-2001, 10:48 PM   #34
Stuart
CA Iit looks like you are not readin what I say.

And greg you make me laugh so hard, now you have a sexual problem with me.? Because you train in aikido and I don't.?? Hahaha No penis!!! haha.

I'll still fight you I could. My kickbag has more sex than aikido!!!

Old 08-07-2001, 10:50 PM   #35
Nick
United_States
Ummm.... what do you with your kickbag is your business, stuart...

Nick

---
Nick Porter

Old 08-07-2001, 10:51 PM   #36
Nick
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by ca
Nick, that's perfect! I'm sure he appreciates it. (uh, the website, not the next post...)
Thanks Colleen... I got a laugh out of it too...

We haven't had a good ole troll-style flame war in a long time... and now I see why

Nick

---
Nick Porter

Old 08-07-2001, 10:57 PM   #37
guest1234
I just feel bad that folks are kind of laughing at him and taunting him, when he obviously needs friends. I'm just glad you posted that other chat place for him, so he could find people who might listen to him. Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2001, 11:01 PM   #38
Nick
United_States
Colleen--

your 'tenkan' approach was a good idea, but atemi doesn't work on someone so thick headed . You might consider this approach irimi... this kid is too "cool" to admit that he's not the greatest, so I'd really prefer to just say "yep, you're soooo right" and send him on his way... I need to get into that mentality more, school starts in a week...

Although I think the best way to resolve this is just to end this thread... though I'll need the support of our members... let's be more "aiki", and just let him go his merry way...

Nick

Last edited by Nick : 08-07-2001 at 11:03 PM.

---
Nick Porter

Old 08-07-2001, 11:05 PM   #39
guest1234
school?

Old 08-07-2001, 11:05 PM   #40
Stuart
What are you talking about... aikido is silly there buddy.

You know it too inside my friend. But this is geting boring now, Funny aikido people who pretend to fight!! loosers!!! and you realy know it too, but just pretend a lot about winning real fighters.

Old 08-07-2001, 11:15 PM   #41
Nick
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by ca
school?
Yeah... starts next Monday... how depressing...

---
Nick Porter

Old 08-07-2001, 11:18 PM   #42
Nick
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart
What are you talking about... aikido is silly there buddy.

You know it too inside my friend. But this is geting boring now, Funny aikido people who pretend to fight!! loosers!!! and you realy know it too, but just pretend a lot about winning real fighters.
Yes... it is getting boring. So boring that perhaps you would... I dunno, leave?

Pretend to fight? Not really... I'm enjoying myself. I don't need to fight anyone... I know you won't understand that...

winning real fighters? Really? Where can I sign up? then I could keep studying my 'ineffective' aikido with no worries...

What was the name of that kid on here awhile back that said he could shoot fireballs with his ki? Jun, can I get an IP track?

I know, I'm the one that called for the cease-fire, but I couldn't help it... too young and stupid, that's it.

Nick

---
Nick Porter

Old 08-08-2001, 12:27 AM   #43
AikidoSteve
Dojo: Foothills Aikido, Evergreen, Colorado
United_States
I can't believe you guys!! If a person for the first time came to this Aikido web site and viewed this thread, what would they think about Aikido and the Aikidoka? Colleen seems to be the one who could give lessons in self-control. I admit entering is a part of Aikido but so is blending. And I see very little blending in this thread. Thank you Colleen - for your level head.

We all know it's easy to hurt someone, it doesn't take any great skill. While driving down the street in their car, one could drive up onto the sidewalk and do an incredible amount of harm, perhaps even death to any number of unsuspecting pedestrians. However, it seems to me that Aikido allows a person to control a situation without causing harm. And that, is one reason as to why I am attracted to Aikido.

Yet, I have always felt that to be "balanced" one should know the striking arts like Kick-Boxing and Karate, the up close arts like Aikido and Judo, and then for good measure the grappling arts like wrestling or that Brazilian what ever it's called (Gracie?).

I am still having a hard time understanding those Aikidoka who are so willing to show Stuart a thing or two. At a quick glance, it seems these folks are re-acting rather than acting. And I find it conceivable to have lost the fight, even before it has begun.

Yours in Aikihood

Steve Nelson
Confront the enemy with the point of your sword against his face.
-Miyamoto Musashi, "A Book of Five Rings"

Old 08-08-2001, 12:57 AM   #44
dainippon99
Dojo: Tulsa Aikido & Jujutsu
i think i can sum up our collective feelings on our friend stewey:

stuart,
you are unlikable.
please leave, you are aggravating people.

Always be well,
Bobby David

Old 08-08-2001, 01:54 AM   #45
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Quote:
Originally posted by AikidoSteve
I can't believe you guys!! If a person for the first time came to this Aikido web site and viewed this thread, what would they think about Aikido and the Aikidoka? Colleen seems to be the one who could give lessons in self-control. I admit entering is a part of Aikido but so is blending. And I see very little blending in this thread. Thank you Colleen - for your level head.
Colleen practiced tenkan, we practiced irimi - if you don't
dance both, you can't dance either. Atemi is as much a
part of aikido as tenkan is.

Do you think O-sensei would have been sweet and nice
to Stuart? Or do you think he would have broken both
his arms?

Stuart has shown that he's unwilling to talk about real
problems or have a reasoned debate, or even put his
butt where his mouth is - Greg blended and offered to
meet him on his terms. Sound like aikido to me.

I, for one, get tired of being nice to people who don't
deserve it, and I don't feel that aikido obliges me to.
This forum isn't really the place to relieve yourself
when your bladder (gall or otherwise) get too full.

Tim - Not posting too seriously

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)

Old 08-08-2001, 06:02 AM   #46
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Griffiths

Colleen practiced tenkan, we practiced irimi - if you don't
dance both, you can't dance either. Atemi is as much a
part of aikido as tenkan is.

Do you think O-sensei would have been sweet and nice
to Stuart? Or do you think he would have broken both
his arms?

Stuart has shown that he's unwilling to talk about real
problems or have a reasoned debate, or even put his
butt where his mouth is - Greg blended and offered to
meet him on his terms. Sound like aikido to me.

I, for one, get tired of being nice to people who don't
deserve it, and I don't feel that aikido obliges me to.
This forum isn't really the place to relieve yourself
when your bladder (gall or otherwise) get too full.

Tim - Not posting too seriously
Thanks Tim.

My idea of dealing with Stuart was to seize the initiative in stopping the fight. That is, to "steal his ki".

This might be abrupt for some but to me it well satisfies the tenet of minimizing harm.

Stuart came to no harm and actually got a free lesson in being sincere.

We had to listen to less of his drivel. The drivel that we did have to listen to, I got redirected to me, personally, rather than our art. I know I can take it. I don't know that of everyone on the forum; especially the new-comers.

I think it worked out well for everyone.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings

Old 08-08-2001, 06:21 AM   #47
Vera Cordwood
Smile Colleen, you rule!

OK I am a new aikidoka, but of all the aikido on this thread I liked Colleen's the most.
She got past the attack in a nice irimi to examine the uke within.
She offered him the perfect blending opportunities.
One thing I love about aikido is how absurd it looks! Sometimes I just laugh out loud seeing everyone's expression as they practice falls.
Another thing I like is how ridiculous the uke looks/feels during iriminage. LIke a 3 stooges stunt, you propel yourself to a pie-in-the-face whomp to the mat.
The art is wonderful!
I also know, having been thrown so many times I'm getting used to it, what aikido can do. It takes only a few wrist locks to realize that yes, someone with control of your hand, has control of you.

VERA

Old 08-08-2001, 07:06 AM   #48
Ta Kung
Ai symbol

Take karate or kikboxing for some real effective fighting.

Actually Stuart is not dead wrong... But then again, Aikido is NOT supposed to make us fighters. Right? If it were, we would have sparing matches and such... You see Stuart, telling us that Aikido won't teach us effective fighting is like telling a "old cars collector" that newer cars are faster.

Stuart, I practise both Aikido and ITF taekwon-do, wich is not very unlike Kickboxing in techniques and sparing rules. And let me tell you this, kicks aren't that great! Even the (us) tkd people know this; we practise entering with punches to the face when out opponent throws a kick. If you kick, you're standing on one foot. That's dangerous, 'cause you've got nothing if someone as much as pushes you. Wouldn't you agree?

Kicks are only powerful when they reach their full extension (man do I suck at english! ) so if you simply move towards the opponent when he kicks, the kick doesn't do squat.

I'm glad you find karate and kickboxing fun! Keep at it, they're great martial arts. I beleve that every martial arts has strenghts and weakness' don't you?

One more thing, give Aikido a try! If you then still feel like you do now, just leave it be. But don't judge completly until you tried it. My friend did. (I gave him Niky, and he was so impressed he started practising a few weeks later!)

Regards,
Patrik Eng

PS. It's easier to beat up someone "in self defence", then it is to defeat him without injuring him (or yourself). Wich do you thing is the better option?

Old 08-08-2001, 07:16 AM   #49
Ta Kung
Ai symbol

But don't judge completly until you tried it. My friend did. (I gave him Niky, and he was so impressed he started practising a few weeks later!)

I guess I better tell you I meant that I gave him a "Nikkyo"... otherwise people might start to wounder who this girl Niky is, and who I am to just "give her to my friend" for him to be impressed... right?

Sincerly,
Patrik Eng *the man who never spellchecks*

PS. I found a few other nice type-o's in my first post. I hope you guys got the point though...

Old 08-08-2001, 09:15 AM   #50
Paul van Leeuwe
Stuart has a point definately!

I am a ju jitsu practitioner, and I do taekwondo just for fun and because only two lessons in ju jitsu are offered a week, and sporting just twice I don't consider enough, as I want to lose some weight. Just some words about my background.

I think aikido is in the least too complex for all but very well-trained aikidokas to use against a well-trained fighter. But that's not necessarily a bad point, some things take time to master. Investing that time is not punishment, but it gave me joy with ju jitsu and never have I felt better then when I sported again (except for a taekwondo lesson where I snapped my ankle and was injured for months). A kickboxer requires less time to be a skilled fighter. They can take some punishment, know where to strike and they can kick devastatingly hard! But... kickboxers don't grapple. Even stuart can't believe that adding grappling to the art will make it a worse art instead of a better one. Look at the cage fights. The most complete fighters usually won.

What if a kickboxer would fight an aikidoka? I think the kickboxer would definately win if he knew how to battle an aikidoka. Kick low, and I wonder how aikidoka's can blend with his technique. If there are other ways within aikido to get around it then I'm just misinformed about aikido. Ju jitsu allows us to 'attack' in a battle, aikido uses only atemi? Ju jitsu teaches us how to take advantage of weak stances of the opponent, but can an aikidoka (using only aikido) kick somebody in the groin if he spreads his legs?

About karate... I do taekwondo and that's quite similar to karate. It's a worthless art for self-defense compared to kickboxing, aikido or ju jitsu (remember I do it to train, not for selfdefense as I have ju jitsu for that). Karate works in theorie but they lack: serious groundfighting, throws (on the ground you can hardly win, especially without groundfighting), chokes and pressure points (or they are underdevelloped). No, I think karate is a thing of the past when it comes to selfdefense. Muay Thai took over it's role completely.

One day I will visit aikido lessons, just to see what it is. I will also visit kung fu. I wonder if ju jitsu is the ultimate art for me, but I think it is. It's not as limited as taekwondo is, but allows almost everything.

I wonder: do you guys think that aikido is the best self-defense art (it will leave you with the fewest injuries if somebody attacks you and you can't avoid it) IF trained well enough in? Nobody feels the lacks of punches and kicks Stuart brawls about? You all think it's not an art which works in theory but not in practice (like taekwondo, karate and in many caes kung fu)?

Just interested. Perhaps I will browse the aikido techniques and try some of them during ju jitsu. Most of the ju jitsu techniques I consider very effective.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com

Closed Thread