Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Tanaka-Ha Aikido in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

Posted 2006-05-31 12:38:16 by Joe Cavazos
News URL: http://www.freewebs.com/acst

Eliseo Munoz (5th dan), Joe Cavazos (4th dan) and guest instructor Jorge Garcia (3rd dan aikikai - Houston) will conduct a weekend seminar in Monterrey, Mexico. The seminar will be hosted by three Monterrey Tanaka-Ha Daito-Ryu Aikibujitsu dojos. The seminar will be held at Terra Nova 750, Colonia Vista Hermosa, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon on Saturday, June 24, 2006 2pm - 5pm and Sunday, June 25, 2006 10am - 1pm. Munoz & Cavazos studied aikido under Bill Sosa Sensei & Lynn Fabia Sensei. Garcia studies aikido under Kato Sensei. For more information please contact Joe Cavazos 956 369-6423 (US) or Carlos Reyes Sanchez 8184 7363366 (Mex).

Old 06-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Tanaka-Ha Aikido in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

We are here in Monterrey after the seminar. We had a great time and are thankful to Munoz Sensei and Joe Cavazos Sensei for their hospitality.
Best wishes

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 06-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States

I would like to thank Sensei Jorge Garcia for the following:
1. Accepting the offer to show us Kato Shihan's aikido,
2. Bringing several of his students to a foreign country, and
3. Allowing us to see the similarities and common principles in two different styles of aikido.

Jorge has a very strong aikido style. His ukes were utterly fantastic! Jorge has trained those teenage students that accompanied him extremely well. They were very well mannered and respectful - as was their Sensei. Despite the vast differences in the styles, we were able to pick up and focus on the similarities that make aikido a unique martial art.

Jorge Sensei took a 12 hour bus ride with 5-6 teenagers and some of his "older" students from Houston to Monterrey, Mexico, then a 12 hour bus ride back. Our instruction was 90% in Spanish and there were no complaints from his students.

If you ever have the opportunity to stop by and visit with Sensei Jorge in Houston, you need to. There is some extremely interesting footwork and hip movement that produces some extremely focused power.

Jorge, thanks again for the weekend that you and your students were able to share with us.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Joe Cavazos wrote:
I would like to thank Sensei Jorge Garcia for the following:
1. Accepting the offer to show us Kato Shihan's aikido,
2. Bringing several of his students to a foreign country, and
3. Allowing us to see the similarities and common principles in two different styles of aikido.

Jorge has a very strong aikido style. His ukes were utterly fantastic! Jorge has trained those teenage students that accompanied him extremely well. They were very well mannered and respectful - as was their Sensei. Despite the vast differences in the styles, we were able to pick up and focus on the similarities that make aikido a unique martial art.

Jorge Sensei took a 12 hour bus ride with 5-6 teenagers and some of his "older" students from Houston to Monterrey, Mexico, then a 12 hour bus ride back. Our instruction was 90% in Spanish and there were no complaints from his students.

If you ever have the opportunity to stop by and visit with Sensei Jorge in Houston, you need to. There is some extremely interesting footwork and hip movement that produces some extremely focused power.

Jorge, thanks again for the weekend that you and your students were able to share with us.

I also want to thank Joe Cavazos Sensei and Eliseo Munoz Sensei for their hospitality and kindness. I would have posted a more elaborate post earlier but I was on a computer that was different and I was having a lot of trouble typing so I made my message short.
These men in in the Tanaka Ha group were extremely kind and truly espoused the teachings of the Founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba. They spoke of Aikido as a family and among themselves, the love and friendship was evident. Even the members who were not assigned to give us hospitality went out of their way to be kind to us. One of their practitioners, a pediatrician took his evening off to take us to the mountains and to give us a guided tour of the city. He did other kind things like going early Sunday to make his hospital visits and then come to pick us up at the hotel so we wouldn't have to use a cab. These men just have a wonderful spirit.

I was impressed with the Aikido of Munoz Sensei. He has beautiful clean Aikido and his appearance and demeanor changed when he came on the mat. Precise and lovely are the words I would use to describe what I saw. He is around 65 years of age and I found myself wanting to be able to look like him when I am that age. Joe Cavazos Sensei is a tall man, about 6"5" who is extremely fast with his hands and deceptively subtle in his movements. I enjoyed feeling his technique very much and I was impressed that even though Joe is a big man, he uses a no strength in what he does and that is most commendable. It shows the power of this art and the egolessness of a man to resist the natural tendency to use the strength of the body versus the hidden power of the technique. These are men who upon meeting them, you feel like you have known them all your life.
Our group had a great time. The young people and adults were so excited to be there and experience a taste of Mexico. The hotel was excellent and the area was wonderful. There are shops and many things to see there and the prices were low!
The view of the city from one of the mountains was spectacular and I hope to return and see some more of the natural wonders that are there that we didn't get to see.

All the instructors present were impressive in ther demeanor and spirit and showed the years of training they have had from the great teachers they have studied with. Their students were dedicated and a joy to work with. We didn't want to come home and the weekend ended too fast.

Thanks Joe and Eliseo Senseis. We had a wonderful time.
Best wishes always.

Last edited by Jorge Garcia : 06-26-2006 at 02:34 PM.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.