Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
white rose
Dojo: White Rose Aikikai
United Kingdom
Tips on getting ready for a grading

Hi guys, going for a grading in December and was wonder if anyone had any unusual ways of getting fit and in the right mind set.
Cheers Sean

Dont hit me again Nick I'll wash your smalls
Old 06-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Tips on getting ready for a grading

I am testing for nidan in Oct. best I can say is start running. Get where you can for 30minutes straight atleast 3 times a week!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
white rose
United Kingdom

Cheers for that Johnny. Went for a 15 - 20 min run today at 12am. The saying mad dogs and Englishman spring to mind. Oh boy I was leaking out of place I don't know I had. I dare say not a pleasant thought for you but one I think may give you nightmares for the rest of your. Sorry mate

Old 06-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Patrick O'Regan
Australia

Hi Sean
One of the seniors at my dojo advised me to run up flights of stairs before my last grading. It gets you fit and also conditions you for the muscles used in constant and intense ukemi.
Good luck!

Paddy

Paddy
Old 06-12-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Sean Cassidy wrote:
Hi guys, going for a grading in December and was wonder if anyone had any unusual ways of getting fit and in the right mind set.
Cheers Sean
Keep turning up to practice and stop thinking so far into the future.
Polish your aikido in the present moment, the grading will come in it's own time.

The right mind set is 'no mind' set.

You ask for unusual ways of getting fit, why is that? do all the usual ways not work? Here's an unusual way of getting fit, - find an old person that needs some shopping done, go to the supermarket on the edge of town, buy heir shopping and run back with it. You get fit they get their shopping done buy a young fit guy in lycra shorts

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:09 AM   #6
justin
United Kingdom

I recall a story told to me not so long ago about fitness by my instructor, I was preparing for a grading and pushed myself very hard so hard to the extent when I turned up for training I was shattered, stiff and sore, he asked what is wrong as I am normally in good shape I explained what I was doing, he answered watch this, he then done must have been 20 mins of free movements where very fit 1,st dans where flying around the place everywhere and he remained calm and composed after a while the attackers where clearly slowing down and showing signs of exhaustion, at which point he said fitness is important but being prepared in the mind is more important.

Not sure if that makes sense but when he said it to me everyone else heard the penny drop in my stomach it made so much sense to me.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:17 AM   #7
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Justin Thomas wrote:
Not sure if that makes sense but when he said it to me everyone else heard the penny drop in my stomach it made so much sense to me.
Justin you must stop swallowing pennies, surely you know that they are not good for you!

Old 06-12-2006, 05:26 AM   #8
DmG

Dojo: Southern Maryland Aikido Center
United_States

Hi Sean,

You didn't say what grading...or what physical shape you are in already...but...

My father used to say he never studied for a test in school (I never believed him...but he used to swear by it)....his point was....if you pay attention, do your regular work, when it comes time for a test, you should be ready and shouldn't have to sweat it.

You've got from now until December. Even if you are testing for sandan, that is plenty of time to regularly attend class, focus, get fit by doing aikido and work through anything that gives you problems. Before class everyday, think of your own personal theme: breathing, fitness (that means take lots of ukemi), bending your knees...whatever you want to work on....and make that your theme for the day.

Before, between and after class...approach people. Ask them specifically to help you with things that you need to work on ('could you help me with my koshinages?') My experience is that everybody loves to help teach somebody something....

And, if you happen to have an instructor who asks "what would people like to do today?" Always, always have a top three list of things you'd like to work on (I used to have instructor that would ask that every class....no one would speak up, so I started coming to class with a list of things I wanted to do...so I always got a class tailored to me :~) ).

Certainly, you can run, lift weights, climb stairs, walk the dog, bring old ladies groceries...those are all good things for building fitness...I personally recommend the much maligned bokken workout (or as the lady who invented it calls it: Forza). But to prepare for a grading in aikido, you really have to do aikido....

Good luck...let us know your progress!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:27 AM   #9
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Sean,

The night before you grading get really really really drunk. It'll help you relax and give you amazing zanshin.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-12-2006, 05:54 AM   #10
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Yann Golanski wrote:
Sean,

The night before you grading get really really really drunk. It'll help you relax and give you amazing zanshin.
Not official Hombu advice, but I know you northern chaps do like an ale or two. Just remember to complete Yann's training regime with a full english breakfast on the morning of the grading, you'll be right!

regards,

Mark

Old 06-12-2006, 05:59 AM   #11
justin
United Kingdom

Quote:
Yann Golanski wrote:
Sean,

i cant see any smiley things so does that work
Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 AM   #12
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Mark,

It's Hombu practice at least for all the gradings I have seen above first dan. Of course, they cannot say it officially as it would reveal a well kept Aikido secret. *puts finger in front of mouth* Sheee....

Justin,

No, I am utterly serious. It stops you from being tense and helps you concentrate on techniques while reducing the stress of the grading.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-12-2006, 07:07 AM   #13
justin
United Kingdom

well you learn something every day it wouldnt work for me though cant drink i am ill for days with even a glass of the stuff
Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 AM   #14
white rose
United Kingdom

Yann, hmm what can I say. It works. Nick and Tim get out of their tiny brains the night before a grading and are brilliant on the day.

Mark, cheers for that mate. I think of gradings like icing on a cake, looks and tastes nice but its whats underneath that makes the difference and is the hard work. As for eating the breakfast. I never ever, ever eat anything before or during a course.

Donna, I thought all gradings were the same. You need to work just as hard in relative terms for your 6th kyu as your yondan. But yes your right the key is to get my ass on the mat.

Justin, that is a great story if you have any more I'd be interested in hearing them.

Stairs Patrick are you mad sir. we have lifts now

Old 06-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #15
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Cardio is always good conditioning.

Mentally review techniques and terminology.

See if you can talk a Sempai in creating a testing like situation in which to train, i.e. state a technique and perform it, or freelancing as many variations as possible.

Compliments for starting early.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #16
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

If you watch the old "Rocky" movies, Mickey tells Rocky to stay away from women because "women weaken the knees" - not sure this is scientifically accurate, and it sure isn't politically correct, but an overload of unspent hormones can affect one's physical prowess and level of aggression (think steriods, or dudes in prison). ...Hey, you said unsual, right?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #17
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

Quote:
Yann Golanski wrote:
Mark,

It's Hombu practice at least for all the gradings I have seen above first dan. Of course, they cannot say it officially as it would reveal a well kept Aikido secret. *puts finger in front of mouth* Sheee....

Justin,

No, I am utterly serious. It stops you from being tense and helps you concentrate on techniques while reducing the stress of the grading.
What about the headache???
Old 06-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #18
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

As Lynn said, mentally reveiwing the techniques is a great training tool .
It cannot replace physical fittness, but it is critical to have your head in the game.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #19
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:
Lucy, you need to know something about our 'lads' up in the North East of our fair Island. These guy's are 'hard', an icy wind whips in off the North Sea ( even in summer! ) and these guys walk around with their tee shirts on all the time ( mind you their girlfriends wear even less!). They don't even have mats in their dojo's thats how tough they are. Headaches, pah, these boys don't worry about a little thing like that

regards,

Mark

p.s if any of you guy's from up there take offence, are thinking about coming down to the warm and sunny south, to try and get me. Think again, I have a fully trained up army of Dartmoor pixies in my own personal employ.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #20
Marc Randolph
Dojo: Jita Kyoei
United_States

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:
It's like having an additional multiple attacker - except he is invisible.

Have fun,
Marc
Old 06-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #21
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

Headaches just tell the North East White Rose boys that we aren't in a coma anymore

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 06-13-2006, 03:36 AM   #22
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Steve Mullen wrote:
Headaches just tell the North East White Rose boys that we aren't in a coma anymore
See what I mean Lucy?

Old 06-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #23
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

Well believe it or not that very day that I wrote that I was having a not so awful hangover and a not so awful headache, since it was my birthday (june 12), and I had a party at home with 22 friends, boyfriend and beers on saturday. I didn't sleep at all until sunday at 11 PM or so. So you could say that hangover was on sunday, and what was left on monday was almost only a memory of it. And I had class at 7 PM. I can tell you it was the most confusing, un-energetic, badly performed training session I ever had. I did have a nice laugh though, but it wasn't useful. So, personally I won't follow your advice next july 12th on the day of my exam, Yann.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #24
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Chuck Norris doesn't get headaches...he gives them to other people...

Ron (Sorry, couldn't help it)

And MY Father was so tough, he walked up hill, ten miles, through the snow (in florida), past alligators and 6 foot rattlesnakes, both ways...

R (sorry, couldn't help it again)

Good luck with your test Lucy...

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #25
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Talking Re: Tips on getting ready for a grading

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Chuck Norris doesn't get headaches...he gives them to other people...

Ron (Sorry, couldn't help it)

And MY Father was so tough, he walked up hill, ten miles, through the snow (in florida), past alligators and 6 foot rattlesnakes, both ways...

Good luck with your test Lucy...
Ron,

I'm sorry, man. But with a story like THAT ...
Quote:

... you need to at least TRY to help it! Please! "Help it!"

::::rolls eyes:::::

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes