Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-07-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
JohnSweval
Dojo: Seattle School of Aikido
United_States
Aikido and total hip replacement ?

I have had to finally accept that I need a total hip replacement, scheduled for July 17.

Is there anyone who has experience with training after a total hip replacement?

Thanks,
John
Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
justinc
Dojo: Enso Center, Redmond
Australia
Re: Aikido and total hip replacement ?

I can't help with the hip replacement, but one of the head teachers in my school (just down the road from you) has just had both knees replaced. She's not quite back on the mat yet as it only happened about 6 weeks ago. If you think that may help some, shoot me a PM and I can put you in touch with her. She's quite happy to chat with other people in similar situation.

Justin Couch
Student of life.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos

I have a student who had one hip done about 4 years ago, and he is having the other one done next month. His doctors have said it will be no problem for him to be back on the mat after rehab.

A friend of mine that is a Yoshinkan instructor in St. Paul has had it too. He seems to be fairing quite well.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 06-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

One of the students in the beginner´s class that I teach had both hip joints replaced about 5 years ago. He only started aikido one year ago and initially I was a bit worried about it. He is a bit overweight and I believe that aikido is the first sport he has ever done. He is extremely unflexible in his hips, but I believe this is due to him never having done any sport and not due to the replaced hip joints (my father has also had both his hips replaced and at age 69 he is still quite flexible and plays tennis regularly).

Beacuse of his lack of flexibility he has trouble doing full ushiro ukemi rolls but he can do ushiro ukemi with slapping out, so it doesn´t really stop him from practicing. Lately he even went to our ukemi workshop and started to get into breakfalling! I got worried when he did but he said that his doctor told him not to worry.

All the best for your surgery! I hope you´ll be back on the mat soon.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:17 AM   #5
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

My teacher has had both hips replaced ( he puts the need down to the judo in his earlier life ). He is also convinced that his aikido training helped in the recovery from the operations.

Take things easy, practice with great awareness of what your body is capable of. There are no prizes given to those who over do it.

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

One of our seniorest students (77, sandan) quit training three years ago, right before her hip replacement,and is talking about resuming training now. I don't think she'll be doing any falling but it will be great to have her back on the mat, nothing like a little old lady to teach you Committed Attack!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 06-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #7
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

My dad had one of his hips replaced. For the better part of a year he was pretty much limited to weapons training, but now he's back in the swing of things. He got his sandan about a year and a half ago (~ two years post surgery). He also started mountaineering.

You're not going to be able to breakfall like you used to, or if you do, you're not going to be able to tell your doctor about it without getting said doctor extremely pissed off.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
John Sweval wrote:
I have had to finally accept that I need a total hip replacement, scheduled for July 17.

Is there anyone who has experience with training after a total hip replacement?

Thanks,
John
You might ask this question in a judo forum (e-budo?). I've known a lot more people in judo than aikido who've had this procedure.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 06-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

So it seems Judo is bad for your hips?
Well I didn't even know there were hip replacements, but having read what everyone posted, my guess is that you won't have any problems.
Hope it all goes well and you can be back on the mat soon!!
Lucy.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
Mike Sigman
United_States

Different hip replacements will disjoint more easily than others. For instance, if it's a total-hip arthroplasty with a sort of spike driven into the sawn-off top of the femur and the "ball" is fairly small, there is a better chance of the hip popping out of the socket. That's a consideration. Some hip procedures nowadays simply "resurface" the existing ball (in order to smooth it out again) with metal and put in a new socket on the pelvis... that results in a pretty good-sized ball that doesn't dislocate very easily. Not too mention it's a less-intrusive procedure that doesn't cut so many muscles, ligaments, etc.

FWIW

Mike
Old 06-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
SmilingNage
United_States

I know of someone who had both hips replaced and he is doing quite well and has returned to training. Though I pretty sure he doesnt do high falls anymore

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!