Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #26
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Steven Seagal...

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I had a really interesting experience in France. My Mom-in-law and fiance and I were sitting around watching tv, and there was Steven Seagal on some game show or other. It was pretty bad. But hey, the man was getting paid!

Best,
Ron
Segal on a French TV game show?..... how the mighty etc etc

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #27
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Yeah, I was quite surprised! But hey, at least he didn't whip out a guitar and start singing...

I think his french was good enough for him to understand what was going on, but they translated anything he said from english to french. Course, he might have had one of those ear thingys (tech. term) piping his native tongue in.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #28
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

FWIW, Gatemouth Brown's hatred of the tags "bluesman" or "blues musician" was legendary.

He played everything from fiddle tunes and country-swing to jump-jazz and rock-and-roll and when the issue came up, he insisted that he played "American Music."

Diagnosed with cancer in 2004, Gatemouth refused treatment, saying that he had seen what that did to several of his friends, and he would prefer to continue to play and tour for as long as he could. He lost his home in Slidell, Louisiana to Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and was evacuated to his brother's home in Texas, where he passed away on September 10, 2005.

The recording of his final live performance at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival earlier that year (bundled with his 2004 show on the cd) is one of the most astonishing concert recordings I've ever heard. Although already considerably weakened by a combination of heart disease, emphysema, and lung cancer, the dynamic and emotional range in his playing is technically impressive and emotionally awesome. If you want to hear what a musician who really left it all out there on the stage sounds like, oh hell, if you want to hear what mastery at the edge of darkness sounds like, get yourself a copy. Now.

www.jazzfestlive.com

Fred Little
Old 06-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #29
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Gatemouth Brown was always one of my favorites. His range always went beyond blues and it was always interesting to hear him play.

Sorry to see him go.

the best bluesman were always playing a broader range of music - really a long tradition of greats playing many styles. Marketing of race records early was pretty bad about forcing musicians into one box, the history of that probably didn't help his feelings about it.

as for Seagal ... it's one long slide downward....
to caricature land

Old 06-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #30
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

That Seattle interview reminds me of the infamous interviews he gave in the late 80's or early 90's about his martial arts background and wacky claims of CIA connections. The bizarre claims of being there when O-sensei passed away and being told by O-sensei to take the real aikido back to America. Of massaging O-sensei's chest and being able to comment on how it felt, etc. (small problem is that he didn't show up in Japan until until several years after O-Sensei's death.)

I interviewed Albert Collins once in the 1980's when I was hosting a blues radio show. A good friend who is a Jazz bassist jammed with Lighting Hopkins at the Houston Juneteenth festival years ago. To someone who has some knowledge of the blues scene and history: this is interview is just BIZARRE! The name dropping seems like a pretty desparate grasping for legitmacy that just isn't there.

On a porch in Detroit ?

He spent his teenage years in a very white bread part of California. That's where he started studying aikido and got his shodan.

comment on fingerings is just idiotic BS.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #31
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

ive seen his films .... and their bad enough!

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 06-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #32
dps

Is he any relationship to Jonathan Livingston Seagal?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:46 AM   #33
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
Is he any relationship to Jonathan Livingston Seagal?
Groan

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:27 AM   #34
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Re: Steven Seahttp://www.aikiweb.com/forums/usercp.php?gal...

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:

On a porch in Detroit ?

He spent his teenage years in a very white bread part of California. That's where he started studying aikido and got his shodan.
Perhaps, but he was at least born in Detroit.

/J

Jakob Blomquist
Old 06-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #35
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Another talent from Sean Connery's bio.

"Said in an interview that during the filming of Never Say Never Again (1983), he was taking martial arts lessons and in the process angered the instructor who in turn broke his wrist. Connery stayed with the wrist broken for a number of years thinking it was only a minor pain... the instructor was Steven Seagal."

I hope he doesn't play guitar.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:36 AM   #36
maeukemi
Dojo: Kyushinkan dojo - Roswell, GA
United_States

So *this* is where it started...and *this* is why he's coming to town to give a concert...
Old 06-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #37
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

I haven't heard his music, but one can only wonder if this man is a recording artis now because of his ability with at guitar and as a singer, or if he is merely having his name milked for more money.

Would he have been recorded had he not been 'Mr. Seagal'? I can't say - but he's definately not being 'discovered' for his looks...

- JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #38
Nikopol

I met .... met? ... exchanged glances with ... Steven Seagal about four years ago. I was living in an apartment above the Tokiwa building in Shimokitazawa (Tokyo) and had just bopped down the steps and out onto the shotengai with a snowboard I was taking to get repaired.

On the other side of the street Steven Seagal is standing there, looking enormous in a track suit with gold chains, kind of checking me out. I didn't click at first who it was, I kind of glared back and we paused there for a second squinting at each other with attitude.

Then I went to the snowboard shop a few doors down and said to myself, "Hey, that was Steven Seagal."

On my way back I popped into my Friend Sam's Hip-hop clothing shop, and he said, "Guess who just came in.. Steven Seagal". Apparently his daughter lived in the hood and he was there for a visit...
Old 06-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #39
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
That Seattle interview reminds me of the infamous interviews he gave in the late 80's or early 90's about his martial arts background and wacky claims of CIA connections. The bizarre claims of being there when O-sensei passed away and being told by O-sensei to take the real aikido back to America. Of massaging O-sensei's chest and being able to comment on how it felt, etc. (small problem is that he didn't show up in Japan until until several years after O-Sensei's death.)
That's OK with me. I know where he got those stories from: Abe Seiseki shihan, who did experience these things. For me, I'm quite happy for Seagal to tell these stories as though they had occurred to him personally, they were worth it. The great thing is that Abe shihan tells quite a bit of useful things about O-Sensei and his body, and it helps that Seagal got that out to a wider audience. Abe shihan also keeps a load of things secret (and swears his trusted overseas students to secrecy too when he transmits things to them).

My two cents,
Gernot
Old 06-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #40
Misogi-no-Gyo
Straight Face Re: Steven Seagal...

Quote:
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote: View Post
Abe shihan also keeps a load of things secret (and swears his trusted overseas students to secrecy too when he transmits things to them).

My two cents,
Gernot
What secrets?

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #41
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
... The name dropping seems like a pretty desparate grasping for legitmacy that just isn't there.

On a porch in Detroit ? ...
Well, at least he didn't claim it was Robert Johnson at the intersection of Disneyland Drive and Ball Road in Orange County... Given his O-sensei stories that would be about as believable...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #42
Keith Larman
United_States

And it is kinda ironic that this thread is resurrected years after it died...

Okay, it appeals to my sense of humor...

Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #43
justin
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote: View Post
He's so pathetic....
think thats a tad harsh
Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #44
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Can you go down to the crossroads and sell your soul for a career as a movie star?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #45
akiy

I don't think anyone's mentioned this book yet:

"Seagalogy: The Ass-Kicking Movies of Steven Seagal"

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #46
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
I don't think anyone's mentioned this book yet:

"Seagalogy: The Ass-Kicking Movies of Steven Seagal"

-- Jun
Oh, that's just great, now I've gone and spent more money on something aboslutely silly... Couldn't resist... Especially given the book cover with Steve's sensitive pony-tail man hair circled...

Old 06-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #47
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
Can you go down to the crossroads and sell your soul for a career as a movie star?
Oh wow, just realized something. The lyrics of crossroads -- just replace Bob with Steve...

Quote:
I went to the crossroads, fell down on my knees
I went to the crossroads, fell down on my knees
Asked the Lord above, have mercy now, save poor Steve if you please
"Fell down on my knees" -- Seiza

Quote:
Standin' at the crossroads, risin' sun goin' down
Standin' at the crossroads baby, the risin' sun goin' down
I believe to my soul now, po' Steve is sinkin' down
"Risin' sun"? Japan?

Quote:
I went to the crossroad, mama, I looked east and west
I went to the crossroad, babe, I looked east and west
Lord, I didn't have no sweet woman, ooh well, babe, in my distress
"...looked east..."? Hmmm, Japan. "didn't have no sweet woman..."? Well, he found one in Japan...

Maybe there's more to this blue's thing than I thought...

I think I need another vicodin...

Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #48
DonMagee
United_States

This is the first time I read this interview. Until I realized it was from years ago I couldn't stop laughing when I read this

"Q: You work out several hours a day to keep in shape for your movies. That's pretty much the opposite lifestyle to your blues brethren."

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #49
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
I think I need another vicodin...
LOL!

Best, Ron ([Homer simpson]mmmmmm vicodin...[/Homer Simpson])

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #50
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines
Seagalogy: A Study of the Ass-Kicking Films of Steven Seagal

Book on the movies of Steven Seagal:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagalogy-Stud.../dp/1845769279

Product Description

Vern, the self-styled ‘outlaw film critic', is known to millions for his hilarious reviews on the Ain't It Cool News website, and is described by Hellboy director Guillermo Del Toro as "equal parts Hell's Angels and Pauline Kael... a national treasure!"

Now, finally, Vern is ready to unleash his magnum opus: an in-depth study of the world's only aikido instructor turned movie star/director/writer/blues guitarist/energy drink inventor — the ass-kicking auteur Steven Seagal. From Above the Law to his Mountain Dew commercials, his entire career is covered in Vern's inimitable style.

As Vern himself puts it, Seagalogy is "a book that will shake the very foundations of film criticism, break their wrists and then throw them through a window."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!