Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #26
Jennifer Grahn
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 16
United_States
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

yOU'RE NOT gOING TO LIKE IT mUCH...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #27
James Davis
 
James Davis's Avatar
Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
Location: Ft. Myers, FL.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 716
United_States
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

I voted "2" because if you watched my aikido from above, you would probably see circular movement followed by a change in direction. All of the movement would be curved instead of angular, but that's what it would look like from a bird's eye view.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #28
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 76
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Charles,

Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe""So long and Thanks for all the Fish" by Douglas Adams

The meaning of life , as per The Guide is 42.

Excuse my obtuse humour.........................Sorry
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #29
kironin
 
kironin's Avatar
Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
Location: Houston,TX
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,033
United_States
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

I voted "1"

because aikido is not a circular art.

because 1 cut (of my sword)

because I am thinking up-down like a "1"

because ikkyo

because my mind and body are 1

because irimi exists even in tenkan

etc...

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #30
BC
Location: Chicago, IL
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 432
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Pi

Robert Cronin
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #31
giriasis
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 819
United_States
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

phi

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #32
Qatana
 
Qatana's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 834
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

At the risk of thread hijacking, I Must point out that 42 is Not the "meaning of life". It is simply the Answer to the Great Question about Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #33
Nick Pagnucco
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 107
United_States
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

I think my aikido most closely resembles the square root of -1.
In other words, my aikido often appears to be imaginary.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #34
Dirk Hanss
 
Dirk Hanss's Avatar
Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Location: Merzkirchen
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 471
Germany
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

While pi and e and i have some charme, it mostly comes back to 0 and 8.
Zero as empty mind - in any writing and 0 as the circle, the whole universe.
8 or hachi as ki exercise (Chiniese 8 in Qigong), as the luck you don't need, but gain by doing perfect aikido, Arab 8 as two combined circles and if you lay it on the side it is the symbol for infinity.

That were my thought before I checked the results, but I do not vote here.

Dirk
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #35
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Location: Montevideo
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 138
Uruguay
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:

because aikido is not a circular art.
What are you smoking??
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:04 PM   #36
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
Location: Portsmouth
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 450
England
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
because aikido is not a circular art
Have you practiced Aikido?

If you have you either haven't understood you Sensei or you should change your Sensei. Aikido IS a circular art. Even when looking at the older forms, the harder styles, it is still circular, even if it is more direct and entering.

So what are you smoking?

Osu!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:30 AM   #37
Mats Alritzson
Dojo: Malmö Aikidoklubb
Location: Malmö
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 27
Sweden
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

I would like to vote "8" but I realize my Aikido is more like a "7".
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:57 AM   #38
Yann Golanski
 
Yann Golanski's Avatar
Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
Location: York, United Kingdom.
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 406
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Let {} be the empty set. Define 0 to be the empty set. Let {{}} be the set that contains only the empty set. Define this set to be 1...etc... That's the first steps to re-built mathematics from the ground up.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #39
david evans
Dojo: Newcastle Iwama Aikido
Location: Newcastle
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 32
Australia
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Quote:
Amelia Smith wrote:
This is easily the oddest poll question I've seen yet on aikiweb! I voted for 3, because we've got the nage, uke, and whatever is going on between them (technique, teaching, etc). Also there's the square-circle-triangle thing, and the fact that "aikido" is made up of 3 kanji. Then I could spout off a lot of quasi-trinitarian stuff about mind, body, and spirit. So yes, 3 is my vote!
I've always been fond of three.

David.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #40
david evans
Dojo: Newcastle Iwama Aikido
Location: Newcastle
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 32
Australia
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
At the risk of thread hijacking, I Must point out that 42 is Not the "meaning of life". It is simply the Answer to the Great Question about Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Good point. Now we just have to work out the question.

David.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #41
Ed Stansfield
 
Ed Stansfield's Avatar
Dojo: Mason Street Dojo
Location: Manchester
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 53
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Quote:
Craig "Enigmatic" Hocker wrote:
I voted "1"

because aikido is not a circular art.
Come on, you can't just throw that one out there and leave it hanging . . .

What are you getting at when you say it isn't circular? Do you prefer to think of it as "curved"?

Best

Ed

(who also voted 1)

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill, 1930.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #42
laovel
Dojo: North Bay Aikido
Location: Santa Cruz
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Yes!

A slashdot type of poll....love it.

(WHAT...you don't know slashdot? --> http://slashdot.org/

We did need 42 in there though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:04 AM   #43
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
Location: London
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 899
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

I think Jun should be ashamed of himself, this poll clearly discriminates against shodo-thugs who can only choose from two options (three if they finally admit they don't do aikido) - don't let Yann's high-faluting logic fool you, if you notice, even the maths shodo-thug can only manage 0 and 1 before lapsing into brackets...

Anyway, the answer is obviously "fish"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #44
Yann Golanski
 
Yann Golanski's Avatar
Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
Location: York, United Kingdom.
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 406
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Ian,

After those two numbers, you need to define addition and multiplication as well as their reciprocals.... SHEEEESH.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #45
Amelia Smith
 
Amelia Smith's Avatar
Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 154
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Next, Jun can post this question in binary, and we'll see what happens!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #46
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
Location: London
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 899
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Well, I'll give you your need for addition, but isn't multiplication just a tad unnecessary (could have sworn it was recursive addition) and shame on you Yann, you implicitly accepted Jun's base when you could have claimed the geekhood of binary... (damn, Amelia got there first)

and I still don't see any numbers... (leaves now before he gets the venn diagrams out of stock)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #47
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Location: Seattle
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 522
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

One of my favorite sayings is "Oh no...two hands, two feet....what to do?" So I voted for "four".

Mary Kaye
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #48
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
Location: Marietta, Ga
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 47
United_States
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Great poll! I voted 4 because sensei says I've developed this bad habit of sticking my butt out
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #49
kironin
 
kironin's Avatar
Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
Location: Houston,TX
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,033
United_States
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
Have you practiced Aikido?

If you have you either haven't understood you Sensei or you should change your Sensei. Aikido IS a circular art. Even when looking at the older forms, the harder styles, it is still circular, even if it is more direct and entering.

So what are you smoking?

Interesting, are you really that closed minded ?

or is this lack of manners by you and Lucy just a reflection of your teachers ?


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #50
kironin
 
kironin's Avatar
Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
Location: Houston,TX
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,033
United_States
Offline
Re: Poll: What numeral do you think your aikido most resembles?

Quote:
Ed Stansfield wrote:
Come on, you can't just throw that one out there and leave it hanging . . .

What are you getting at when you say it isn't circular? Do you prefer to think of it as "curved"?
Best
Ed
(who also voted 1)
Hi Ed,

The original question by Jun was asking what your aikido most resembles. To me personally, I am thinking in lines therefore "1". My center line mostly. Or the line of irimi. Any motion can be broken down into a combination of linear vectors. IMO, the circularity that an observer may see in the interaction between nage and uke is more an illusion than anything else. They see a circle when in reality nage's center of gravity (and nage's mental image) is moving straight IN while their hands are moving straight up. Vertical and horizontal motions are combined with the good timing to toss uke. I first came to this realization some years ago in a seminar with one of Tohei Sensei's top students who had trained for over 15 years in Japan. He had just back to the States and a lot of his first hand knowledge about how Tohei Sensei thought about aikido really got me thinking along this direction. The stories and the instruction just got me to thinking differently and I certainly don't think this is original with me by a long shot. I have continued exploring this idea particularly since my experience training with the sword iaido makes it feel to be a very sensible approach to making my movements efficient.

even tenkan is a quick pivot a linear step, and your mental image is not of rotating 180 degrees but instantaneously switching your view opposite of what it was.

when nage tries to move in circles he makes mush and needs totally cooperative ukes to sustain the illusion of effective waza.

that's just my opinion.

but it's held up in my experience of teaching and training.

best,
Craig

  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Women and Everybody Else in Aikido George S. Ledyard Teaching 113 03-16-2008 08:27 PM
Poll: How strong of an existence will aikido have in a hundred years? AikiWeb System AikiWeb System 26 07-18-2006 08:14 AM
Dilution of aikido eugene_lo General 40 02-07-2006 12:22 PM
Poll: Do you prefer your aikido rank tests announced (planned) or unannounced (surprise)? AikiWeb System AikiWeb System 15 12-09-2004 05:19 PM
Poll: How important is running an aikido dojo as a business? AikiWeb System AikiWeb System 21 11-08-2004 01:37 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate