Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-02-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
Koren Ko

Dojo: Nihon Aikido Kenkyukai? Yoshikan style
Malaysia
Can different Aikido Schools crosstrain?

Well, since Aikido is such a big family.

But often different aikido school trainees don't cross-train.

Why?
Or on what condition someone will/can train other school?

Especially if the Aikido community is small and not the most popular of a place.

Hope this is not a double post.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Kaan Berberoglu
Re: Can different Aikido Schools crosstrain?

I studied with Dave Nettles in Denver, he was amazing. My friend, training in different styles can mean a great deal of experience gain, in my point of view. It maybe different to the way I usually train, but the ki is still the point of the matter. It surrounds us, and brings us closer. I'm glad to say I'm never afraid to try anything new. I might not share the same opinion, but certainly I respect all.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Crosstraining is encouraged by some instructors, and frowned upon by others. My suggestion, which is as much a matter of respect as anything else, is to ask your instructor for his/her opinion on the subject prior to establishing other training relationships. You, of course, have the final say.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I train primarily at a Ki Society dojo, but for quite a while (too busy now) was making open mats and seminars at an Aikikai dojo. Everyone concerned knew what the situation was and gave permission.

I thought it was really helpful, both in convincing me that some of the odder Ki Society teachings actually do work, and in broadening my safe range of ukemi (there's nothing like a barrage of unfamiliar techniques to really polish those survival-ukemi skills). There was some confusion--I am still trying to unlearn a way of holding my hands when receiving an attack that my sensei doesn't care for--but it didn't seem like a big deal. (I am quite capable of being confused all on my own, anyway.)

I've also dropped in on a wide variety of other dojo when out of town, and never had less than a good experience. A few times the sensei spent a little while prodding me to see if I was there to train or to start a political argument, but when they found I was there to train, they were very hospitable. I've enjoyed getting to see independent, Aikikai, Ki Society and Yoshinkan practicioners in action.

The one thing I would not encourage people to repeat was my first experience with cross-training. Out of embarrasment and uncertainty, I didn't tell my sensei I was doing it. This caused me no problems at home (I eventually did tell her and she gave permission) but when the guest-dojo sensei found out, the situation became uncomfortable as she interpreted it as dissatisfaction with my main dojo, which it was not. Better to be honest right away and up front.

Mary Kaye
Old 05-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Our dojo strongly encourages it; If there is a weekend seminar within driving distance (8ish hours) then we post it on our bulletin board no matter what the organizations affiliation.

If you go with the sincere attitude to train and learn then learn you will.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:56 AM   #6
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Cross training is good, however, some instructors arent content to just teach you, they want to tell you and make you believe that their way is THE best...*pinch of salt*.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:03 AM   #7
David Yap
Malaysia

Hi Koren,
Quote:
Koren Ko Jen Foo wrote:
Well, since Aikido is such a big family.
Just like in any BIG family, sometime Uncle Ray is not talking to Uncle Ju; dad refuses to have anything to do with Auntie Mille in mum's side of the family; mum is not talking to grandmum, etc.

Quote:
But often different aikido school trainees don't cross-train.
We kids do. Of course, we don't disclose to our parents.

Quote:
Why?
Or on what condition someone will/can train other school?
Some (but not all) of our parents threaten to disown us if they found out that we have been mixing with the "bad" relatives.

Quote:
Especially if the Aikido community is small and not the most popular of a place.
The smaller the community, the BIGGER the differences

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
My suggestion, which is as much a matter of respect as anything else, is to ask your instructor for his/her opinion on the subject prior to establishing other training relationships. You, of course, have the final say.
This, IMO, is a very sound advice. But I would think twice about the "final say" part

Best training

David Y
Old 05-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Koren Ko

Dojo: Nihon Aikido Kenkyukai? Yoshikan style
Malaysia

Quote:
David Yap wrote:
Hi Koren,

A.Just like in any BIG family, sometime Uncle Ray is not talking to Uncle Ju; dad refuses to have anything to do with Auntie Mille in mum's side of the family; mum is not talking to grandmum, etc.

B.We kids do. Of course, we don't disclose to our parents.

C.Some (but not all) of our parents threaten to disown us if they found out that we have been mixing with the "bad" relatives.

D.The smaller the community, the BIGGER the differences

E.This, IMO, is a very sound advice. But I would think twice about the "final say" part

Best training

David Y
A. Ok, Sure this is a problem. But if both Uncle Ray & Uncle Ju admit both existence and perhaps some non-verbal conversation, I think the children can play around.

B.Mmm...No even sure the parents really want to know. Unless you are something...BIG.

C. My bad. Don't Aikido-ka talk about Harmony? Such an action seems strange to me. It just like whether an apple is edible by red or green color. Besides, C. contradict A. Big Family can't dislodge each other or there will be no family altogether.

D. Well, Yeah. It stands at everywhere, any type martial art school. Just have a look with your Karate friends. Search Goshin-ryu and Isshin-ryu as keyworld.

E. Final Say? I will prefer "my decision entirely with respect of my sensei's reasonable view and acknowledge him beforehand."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!