Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-22-2001, 11:26 AM   #1
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States
so I've been wondering...

why did you all decide to take up aikido?

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 07-22-2001, 12:10 PM   #2
mj
getting older, aikido is a lot easier on the body, and I've calmed down a little so I don't feel the need to constantly go at it hard like I used to. It's more like constant study than any kind of 'victory'.

Old 07-22-2001, 03:44 PM   #3
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Why I started

I was asked by my sister in law about taking up judo. I thought that it was too competition oriented ( Niel Adams's dojo is in my home town)so we went to the Phoenix Aikido club to see what it was all about. We were greeted by a large bearded Scotsman in a skirt who said "take your shoes off nd have a go". That was over ten years ago. I still train.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 07-22-2001, 08:15 PM   #4
cbrf4zr2
I've never been what you'd call a big guy Being only 185 pounds (84kg) at 6-2 (188cm). I knew that I needed to use the other person's momentum against them like I had to do when my dad and I wrestled when I was younger.

So a Karate black belt I knew said:

"Look into Aikido."
"Aiki- huh?"
"It's what Seagal does - kinda."
"Ok - I'll check it out."

So - here I am.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:20 AM   #5
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Came by an old video of some aikido-demonstration in Japan. Instantaneously knew that I wanted to learn how to do this. Used to practice Karate and Kendo before this and was very drawn by the non-agressivenes of Aikido. Took me a while though before I found a dojo that suited me.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 07-24-2001, 03:09 PM   #6
Estproph
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Actually as a complete newbie (first time posting, and only been doing aikido for a month now) this is an interesting subject for me.
I got into aikido because of the weapons training. I'm originally a saber fencer, and I wanted to look at 2-handed sword styles. Saber however is extremely hard on the knees (most of my cartilage is gone now) and I've had to let off of it for a while. Now that I've gotten a few bruises at uke I'm finding I like the open-hand techniques even more. Of course my knees still ache, especially after seiza...does that ever get better?
Richard

Poorly socialized, overeducated geek
Old 07-24-2001, 03:28 PM   #7
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

I started training in Wing Chun Kung Fu when I entered college. After I transferred to a new college (one with a better biology program) I was unable to find another Wing Chun school in order to continue my training. Became interested in Kendo, but the closest dojo was over 50 miles away and since I had no car (at the time) and not much money (Kendo gear is rather pricey) I looked at other options. Happened upon an Aikido dojo, found that the basic principles were similar to Wing Chun, and that use of the sword and staff was incorporated into the training as well. Went to a class, had fun, and have been training ever since. Have a good day

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 07-24-2001, 06:08 PM   #8
H. Trinh
Dojo: Karl Geis Aikido
Thumbs down

I took Kung Fu years ago. I stopped because of time consumption. I've always been interested in Aikido but never did anything about it. The Steven Seagal movies semi-inspired me.
No joke here but I was watching Kiss of the Dragon (Jet Li) one night and all of a sudden it hit me. I had to take another martial arts class. I sat in and viewed my current aikido dojo and was enrolled pretty much that night. I'm glad I joined.
Old 07-24-2001, 06:19 PM   #9
mj
Hi H. Trinh, I've only seen Black Mask.
Is 'Kiss of the Dragon' any good? BM was excellent.

Old 07-24-2001, 06:21 PM   #10
mj
Hold on, when I say excellent, maybe I mean terrible, but I loved it. Ignoring the 'plot' and everything else.

Old 07-24-2001, 06:29 PM   #11
michaelkvance
Dojo: Aikido Center of Los Angeles
Quote:
Of course my knees still ache, especially after seiza...does that ever get better?
It depends. My father, who practiced for seven years or so before taking a break recently, says it hasn't really gotten easier for him. I sort of despaired because my knees and ankles were hurting a bit, too.

However, three months into my training, I can now sit comfortably with no problems whatsoever.

It may help that I started zazen recently, too--that will limber your knees up, and the use of a zafu and zabuton isn't nearly as impacting as sitting on tatami...

Back on topic, as you may have guessed, my father was a large part of why I got into my training, but also I've found the philosophical message of aikido very attractive. Also, my teacher, the Rev. Kensho Furuya, is a wonderful Sensei--I couldn't imagine training at any other dojo.

m.
Old 07-24-2001, 06:51 PM   #12
[Censored]

BM was excellent.

I think you meant to say, Fist of Legend and Tai Chi Master were excellent.

Black Mask doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same paragraph.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:22 PM   #13
H. Trinh
Dojo: Karl Geis Aikido
Thumbs down

mj,

KOD was okay. Typical plotline. The action sequences were good. Jet Li sure knows how to move fast. See the movie for the fight scenes.
I apologize for venturing off topic.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:30 PM   #14
Jim23
I'm not that young anymore, so Aikido now seems to fit my needs: not rough, no brutal sparring - I can actually go to work the next day without excuses: "Oh, that collar bone .. what? doesn't yours look like that?"

I originally started my martial arts training in Karate (Mas Oyma's style) and then Tae Kwon-Do (ITF). I must admit that I do miss the Tae Kwon-Do training, although I dislike the WTF crap (Olympic Games version).

Anyway, I like what aikido has to offer - love the joint locks, although I think some of the throws are pretty (but) silly (maybe I'll change my view with time).

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 07-25-2001, 08:58 AM   #15
mj
Quote:
Originally posted by [Censored]
BM was excellent.

I think you meant to say, Fist of Legend and Tai Chi Master were excellent.

Black Mask doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same paragraph.
It wasn't.

Old 07-25-2001, 09:14 AM   #16
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Wink Re: so I've been wondering...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick
why did you all decide to take up aikido?
WOW! ....I'm impressed by the answers so far! Not a single person has attributed their starting of aikido due to seeing one of Seagal Sensei's movies!!! ...this is a first!!!

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 07-25-2001, 09:42 AM   #17
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States
I didn't even know he studied aikido until a few months after I started...

Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 07-25-2001, 10:10 AM   #18
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick
I didn't even know he studied aikido until a few months after I started...

Nick
Hi Nick!

...Same here! I had no idea what art it was that he was practicing until someone told me it was aikido, but it was a few months after I had started.

...it's not so common these days for a newby to walk in wanting to learn a technique they say Seagal Sensei perform in a movie they just watched. But a few years ago it was a weekly occurance!

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 07-25-2001, 12:16 PM   #19
AikidoNate
Dojo: Oregon Ki Society SW Dojo
Ai symbol

I decided that I wanted to start a martial art by the time I was twenty, because I thought all martial arts would:

1.) Make me buff (Bruce Lee rippling pecs, Arnold arms, etc.)

2.) Allow me to do really fast and flashy crazy martial arts action (jumping kicks, breaking pieces of industrial material with my face, etc.)

3.) Give me the ability to show off my crazy martial arts ability to my friends, so they're filled with both awe and fear.

And in short, Aikido has fulfilled none of these goals. After having trained in Aikido for over a year, I have found:

1.) If I want Bruce Lee pecs and Arnold arms, I'm going to have to lift weights. Aikido doesn't rely on physical strength.

2.) Those really flashy moves are really good for the movies (and I love those movies) but as I don't plan to be a kung fu action star, it's better to focus my training on something with a little more practical self-defense value than jumping kicks.

3.) The aikido arts I learn could really do some damage if used on someone who doesn't know how to take ukemi (i.e. all of my friends), and so I can't show off the full effective power of the arts. The closest I can come to showing off is the unbendable arm, which causes a little awe, but unfortunately, no fear.

However, I have instead found an incredibly rich martial art with more to offer than I ever could have dreamed. Rather than just finding a way to defend myself, I have found a path of self-improvement and coordination that I can work on the rest of my life.

So in short, Aikido gave me everything I needed, by giving me nothing that I asked for.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:22 PM   #20
cbrf4zr2
Quote:
Originally posted by AikidoNate

3.) The aikido arts I learn could really do some damage if used on someone who doesn't know how to take ukemi (i.e. all of my friends), and so I can't show off the full effective power of the arts. The closest I can come to showing off is the unbendable arm, which causes a little awe, but unfortunately, no fear.
What? When shaking one of your buddies hands you've never stepped underneath and shown him the power of sankyo?

...then again, that's just me.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:22 PM   #21
michaelkvance
Dojo: Aikido Center of Los Angeles
Quote:
...it's not so common these days for a newby to walk in wanting to learn a technique they say Seagal Sensei perform in a movie they just watched. But a few years ago it was a weekly occurance!
We were just discussing this last Saturday. Sensei was talking about how after the first Seagal film came out, all these people showed up to the dojo with little ponytails and slicked back hair! Unbelievable!

m.
Old 07-25-2001, 01:34 PM   #22
mj
You don't like my hair???
(Kidding )

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!