Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-19-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of March 19, 2006:

Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Re: Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained?

yes.

Edwin Neal

Old 03-19-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained?

I would think, that because of the endless seminars, and so forth, home dojos won't be where the best things are happening. This is a pity, but also the truth. Maybe it is in this area where we will find who are the true practioners worth following. So many are veering off into this and that cross-training; so many are into marketing and this and that workshop. I believe the truest thing that can happen is that the "village dojo" becomes a reality for a future world.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Yes.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai

Yes, because he has brought me to the level of appreciating the subtleties, variations and variety in the art of Aikido. He has also exposed his students to the likes of Kobayashi , Igarashi , Asai, Sugawara Shihans in our dojo's seminars. He is a student of Aikido and is not afraid to expose his students to practitioners who do things "differently" from him.

Therefore to answer the question, again, for the aforementioned reasons, He is the best aikido practitioner with whom I have ever trained.

PS We also get to laugh together ...................... about my aikido !!!

Calgary Aikikai
Old 03-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Define "best".

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Absolutely! No doubt about it.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 03-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada

Sheesh. I guess I must be pretty damn lucky.

- Jamie (who answered yes)

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 03-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #9
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

I voted yes....or else I would not have stuck with him for these years.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:07 AM   #10
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

On seminars, I definately had better instructors.

And from the dojo here around, which I visited, I would not say, he is the best aikidoka, nor the best instructor, but he is good enough, that I have the feeling, he offers the best package I can get.

Dirk
Old 03-20-2006, 03:24 AM   #11
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Wait a minute Edwin! Aren't you your own instructor!

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 03-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #12
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

I voted no, but I have issues with authority

Best Sensei I had was a crumpled up old woman, with crippling arthritis - who taught me that protecting uke was more important than learning how to kick arse. Miss her.

David

PS. Current Sensei is best at what he does - lightning atemi and being in superior position.
dk
Old 03-21-2006, 02:07 AM   #13
John (King John)

Dojo: Prince Bishops Durham/ White Rose
England

Is this like saying, "Is your Mother the best mother in the world?" Is the answer ever going to be 'no'?

Grab my arm.....The other arm.....MY other arm
Old 03-21-2006, 04:58 AM   #14
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Good answer John. I've seen some other very good folks and there are plenty more people I would love to get out and train with/under in the future, currently: Yes.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:08 AM   #15
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
John Chapman wrote:
Is this like saying, "Is your Mother the best mother in the world?" Is the answer ever going to be 'no'?
Well, could be like "Is your stepmother the best mother you ever had?" What would the answer then probably look like?

Dirk
Old 03-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #16
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo

Quote:
John Chapman wrote:
Of course some would answer, "no." However, I find aikidoists to be more polite than most other people.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 03-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #17
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

My instructor(s) is/are currently the best I have ever trained with so far, yes.

However, do to work and other time constraints I have not had the chance to attend any seminars yet. I'll be attending the one in Nashville with Ikeda Sensei coming in the end of April and hopefully attending 1 or 2 more between now and then.

My instructor openly admits that their are many who are better. I feel sure that is true and look forward to attending these seminars to see firsthand those who my instructor(s) hold in such high regard.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #18
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo

Quote:
Michael O'Brien wrote:

However, do to work and other time constraints I have not had the chance to attend any seminars yet. I'll be attending the one in Nashville with Ikeda Sensei coming in the end of April and hopefully attending 1 or 2 more between now and then.
If you get to do ukemi for Ikeda Sensei, I would love to hear what you have to say . . .

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 03-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #19
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Daniel Pierson wrote:
If you get to do ukemi for Ikeda Sensei, I would love to hear what you have to say . . .
I'm sure there are probably others here that can already comment on that, but if I do get that honor I will definitely report back for you.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:20 AM   #20
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

My aikido instructor the best aikido instructor I have met so far, at least, the best for me.

I have practiced with better practitioners - When I visited Japan, I had the pleasure of direct practice with some of our Shihans, who are higher graded then my sensei, and some of which were better then him and even much better, but only in specific areas of expertise:
* The level of one of them in weapons work is multiple levels above my Sensei. Then again, this Shihan had learnt Koryu weapons as his first step in M.A. and only joined Korindo Aikido afterwards. His knowledge in weapons has actually increased the system curriculum.
* The Koshi-Mawashi (body movement?) of another Shihan was several levels above my Sensei. But I was aware of some other aspects of his that were not as good as my own Sensei. Then again, it had to do with his own aims in Aikido (I asked him about it).

I should mention that my own sensei has a very wide base in M.A. in general, even compared to those Shihan - his rank is about 5-6th Dan in Korindo Aikido, Judo and Karate (may be 7th in some, he stopped telling us of his grading a few years ago). So the difference is in nuances.

Amir
Old 03-22-2006, 05:41 AM   #21
John (King John)

Dojo: Prince Bishops Durham/ White Rose
England

Quote:
Daniel Pierson wrote:
Of course some would answer, "no." However, I find aikidoists to be more polite than most other people.
I only wanted to raise a smile. Sadly there will be exceptions. Perhaps I should have simply said yes.

Grab my arm.....The other arm.....MY other arm
Old 03-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #22
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Quote:
If you'll allow me: "OUCH! Wow. How did you do?.........wow."

Juvenile comment, but I mean well.

dave
Old 03-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #23
Meggy Gurova
Dojo: Chowa
Bulgaria
Re: Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom yo

How about "I donīt know" as an option? There are a lot off brilliant aikidokas I know, and who am I to compare them?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #24
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

I consider my sensei among the best. There are a few that I have trained with who I regard equally. I don't wish to compare them as they all have something great to bring to aikido. So, I haven't responded to this poll.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #25
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

Yeah, he is, since he's a 3rd Dan, and all the other ppl with whom I've trained are 2nd Dan or lower. I did however witnessed a Seminar by Masatake Fujita Shihan (8th Dan from Hombu Dojo), but didn't participate 'cause I was so new I didn't have a gi and felt stupid. But he signed my t-shirt anyway, and I've got a photo with him