Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay
Ki Symbol Hello from Uruguay

Hi everyone,

I'm from Uruguay (I bet I'm the only one!), that is, for those of you who may not know, in South America. First of all: please excuse my bad english, I'm learning. I got an A in my First Certificate last year though and I'm preparing the Proficiency.
I love languages so I'm starting a Japanesse course next year, if I have the time...

Well my first contact with a martial art was Karate, when I was 7. It was fun, but totally useless... My Sensei got unbearable about discipline and I felt that I wasn't learning anything so I quit when I was 9. So far so bad...

My dad started Aikido around that time, which frustrated me even more coz' he always won our "fights". He quit coz' he's got a neck problem, so ukemi made his neck hurt.

So last year (I was 15) a couple of guys stole my trainers... see here we have this idiot-looking folks who call themselves "planchas". Some are poor, some are not, some are rich. They put oxigen wather on their hair so it's like YELLOW, not blonde. And they wear (who knows why), Nike trainers. Those "boings" or whatever. So the rich ones buy them. The poor ones steal them. So I was walking very stupidly without noticing a thing, as usual, when a pair of hands just took my shoe!!! And then the other. It was so fast and incredible I was in shock. And they were gone. With my U$S100 trainers. Why in the world did I buy them? Who knows...

I tryed to forgot but it was impossible... I thought if they did that, they could have perfectly done something worse... something I didn't even bear to think about. I started to stay at home and I didn't even want to go to school by myself. So my dad called his old Aikido instructor for some self defence classes.

We went to the dojo and I just felt I wanted to take part in a class. So a month ago I started, with 3 more friends. And I discovered I love Aikido so much. I think about it all the time and I miss the clases whenever I'm not in the dojo (yeah, that's a lot of time). It's like I'm in love LOL.

So those idiots who wanted nothing good for me gave me the greatest gift I have received so far.

Well... I'm sorry I wrote so much
For those of you who read it, thanks a lot!!!

Lucy.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Hello from Uruguay

Hi Lucy,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

For the record -- according to the Member List, it looks like there are six people here in the AikiWeb Forums who have indicated their country as being Uruguay.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Hi Lucy,

Welcome from Nashville, Tn.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Lucy Smith
Uruguay

Wow so there are 6 more ppl from Uruguay??? I guess I'll need to contact them. Thanks for the info!!

Lucy.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
brunotex

Dojo: Brazil Aikikai - Instituto Takemussu
Brazil

Hi Lucy!!

Welcome from Brazil. I loved your story.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

bienvenido a aikiweb, desde san francisco, california. my favorite author is Uruguyan! (Mario Benedetti).

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Lucy Smith
Uruguay

Cool. My dad's a writer too, but not that famous lol. My favourite author (and don't laugh I know it's common, and I've read a lot of others, I don't deny their existance!!) is JK Rowling. I was lucky enough to travel to New York (that was were I bought the Nikes) last year, and attend the launch of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at Barnes & Noble. It was GREAT. The next best thing to Aikido
Old 04-21-2006, 04:50 AM   #8
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Hi Lucy,
my sensei is from Uruguay, Maybe your dad or some of your aikido fellows know Pablo Reichert, he left Montevideo a few years ago and moved over to Germany - I never found out, why.

So be welcome, and do not repeat any single word about your English. It is very good. Mine is not the best and some some of the worst - most illegible - post I have seen came from our English native speakers, living in the UK or US. They try to right write rite and do not understand, why the hole whole ist empty. If you realise a typing error, you can edit and correct it - at least until someone responded. If you cannot edit any longer just leave it, unless you feel someone else did misunderstand you.

All the best

Dirk
Old 04-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
Lucy Smith
Uruguay

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote:
Hi Lucy,
my sensei is from Uruguay, Maybe your dad or some of your aikido fellows know Pablo Reichert, he left Montevideo a few years ago and moved over to Germany - I never found out, why.
I asked my Sensei about him, and it seems they studied together, but yours was a year more advanced. Tell you Sensei to visit http://usuarios.lycos.es/aikidojo/index.htm

Lucy.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:
So those idiots who wanted nothing good for me gave me the greatest gift I have received so far.

Lucy.
I got into aikido after getting jumped, too. It's wierd how life turns out, isn't it?

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #11
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Wow, great post Lucy. I never heard of anyone starting a martial art because they got their trainers stolen, but it's certainly a justifiable one

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
merlynn

Dojo: lone pine ryu school of aiki kyusho jujutsu ,woking & guildford
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:
Cool. My dad's a writer too, but not that famous lol. My favourite author (and don't laugh I know it's common, and I've read a lot of others, I don't deny their existance!!) is JK Rowling. I was lucky enough to travel to New York (that was were I bought the Nikes) last year, and attend the launch of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at Barnes & Noble. It was GREAT. The next best thing to Aikido
oooo cool you like harry potter too !!!! wow so thats why you started aikido well if you ever wanna chat some time i have msn and yahoo and also there is aikichat

some things are so dear and so precious you have to let them go
Old 05-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
Lucy Smith
Uruguay

Yeah it wasn't "To learn to use The Force". LOL.

As to Harry Potter; he's up there with surfing, playing the drums and now Aikido, yeah. But Aikido has managed to be the top one in my list. It's still hard to believe for me!!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!