Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
Firefly/Serenity

Just wondering if there were any aikidoka scifi nerds who did firefly and serenity out there

Dan Hulley
Old 04-13-2006, 02:26 AM   #2
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: Firefly/Serenity

Depending what you mean by "did"... Yeah, watched the TV show in 2001 and enjoyed it a lot. Way better than most TV of the time.

For those who have not seen any of it and enjoy good intelligent SciFi, get the DVD. You won't regret it.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-13-2006, 02:37 AM   #3
Taliesin

Seconded
Old 04-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
Dajo251
United_States

opps I ment to say *dig* not did

Dan Hulley
Old 04-13-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Lol. At a recent circle right after class, I made an announcement. "I'm sure you all know this and have marked the calendar for this day, but just in case: the local movie theatre is showing Serenity and 8 episodes of Firefly, for it's midnight marathon. So, bring your pillows, and Sunday class starts 1/2 after the marathon. See you there!"

I expected ppl to look at me funny, but most of them exclaimed what a good series it was...and which moviehouse was that, again,,,?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I've watched both the series and the movie several times. Very well written, intelligent, sci-fi. I've also confirmed my severe nerdiness by playing the "Serenity" role-playing game

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-13-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
Koren Ko

Dojo: Nihon Aikido Kenkyukai? Yoshikan style
Malaysia

I had heard of the Firefly and watched the Serenity.

Somehow, I dun feel interesting at all. Does the Firefly series came out before the movie or vice versa?

The opening of the Serenity impress me. But, feel pathetic when the rob bank-the things rope down-car chasing scene came.
No doubt, the fighting scene looked great and slow pace in some parts.
But the setting of the world gimme an on-par with Stargate series...Which had built up a huge logical loopholes and capability of a extremely small alien(human) world population to prolific and survive.
Won't it be atleast minimum 10,000 in a single planet to ensure genetic richness? (In this case, I rarely see a lot of PEOPLE in Serenity)

I am not really have the answer. Anyone please tell me?

Btw, fellow friend Bronson Diffin, can you point some example to say it is a good series?

Thanks!

Last edited by Koren Ko : 04-13-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
cck

We're just waiting for the last DVD now, and are really looking forward to it but also dreading it - I can't believe they didn't make any more of these! The characters are great, the setting is great - frontiers Western style. "I am a leaf..."
Old 04-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
giriasis
United_States

Koren Ko,

Firefly came first.

I love scifi and enjoy: Star Wars, Star Trek, StarGate, and Battlestar Galatica (TNS!). Firefly, too!

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
Neil Mick

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
Koren Ko,

Firefly came first.

I love scifi and enjoy: Star Wars, Star Trek, StarGate, and Battlestar Galatica (TNS!). Firefly, too!
...and don't forget Farscape...sheesh....yeah, I'm a sci-fi addict, too (hi, Neil: welcome...have a donut).
Old 04-14-2006, 05:57 AM   #11
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I can't say I am aware of this "firefly" business. I am, more or less a "twilight zone" fan and have just gotten ahold of a 37 episode dvd of Rod Serling's classics
Old 04-14-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
Dajo251
United_States

Quote:
Camilla Kieliger wrote:
We're just waiting for the last DVD now, and are really looking forward to it but also dreading it - I can't believe they didn't make any more of these! The characters are great, the setting is great - frontiers Western style. "I am a leaf..."
yeah, its sad that the series just kinda ended....real sad

Dan Hulley
Old 04-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

Haven't seen the movie yet, but saw all of the episodes and really enjoyed them. I think it's a terrible pity that it was canceled after such a short run. It's far better than the vast majority of tv programming these days ...if there was more stuff like Firefly, I might even get a tv again. As it stands, there's no point.

-LK
Old 04-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
jeff.
Dojo: aikido of morgantown

its just about the only show worth talking about. seriously. joss whedon is, of course, a genius. (heck, aikido even got some props in an episode of buffy.)

but yeah... firefly, firefly... there my heart doth rest.

and the movie was amazing. yes.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #15
Dajo251
United_States

oddly enough I remeber that episode of buffy, I rember laughing at when the guy said aikido....

Dan Hulley
Old 04-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #16
Koren Ko

Malaysia

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
...and don't forget Farscape...sheesh....yeah, I'm a sci-fi addict, too (hi, Neil: welcome...have a donut).
Yup! Dun forget Farscape! Too bad I dun have a chance to watch the full show, save the 1st season.

It created several supernovas (Ben Browder, Claudia Black)and now they are in Stargate SG-1 season 10!

Personally, I prefer the Farscape better than Babylon5 and Stargate SG-1 series. Well, this aussie lad did really make a good script and I see far more investments (in prop, CGs, ship and world designs, more not so humanoid alien skin badass, etc etcs)by the producer to make the Farscape world more real and extensive...logical. Hahaha, atleast it tells you the basic color TV set projection theory in conjuction of its apllication in hyperjump.

(Hey, Neil, need a nail? Have some coffee too! )
Old 04-16-2006, 04:49 PM   #17
giriasis
United_States

I never got too much into Baylon 5 or Farscape. But right now I'm really hooked on Battlestar Galatica. Starbuck rocks and in one show there was a semi-kaitennage but Dualla threw Apollo on his back...(I digress...I love seeing strong female roles of all varieties.) I'm just bummed to have to wait until October for the 3rd Season. I'm usually all Miss Hopeful being a Star Wars fan, but the grittyness and real-world issues of BSG really has struck a cord with me. I love it that it's not your typical SciFi with all bunch of fancy gadgets saving the day. (Not that I don't love fancy gadgets -- a lightsaber is my fave.) And, you deal with the thought-provoking issues that we face today -- terrorism, torture, rape, the right of survival, etc.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 04-16-2006, 09:09 PM   #18
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Firefly and Serenity are great...

...and I heard a rumour that Nathan Fillion (Mal) might be the new Indiana Jones. Before hearing that I wasn't able to imagine anyone else in that role...but he'd be perfect.

cheers,

--Michael

Also liking (in no particular order other than ReGenesis comes first ): ReGenesis, 24, Stargate Atlantis, Threshold, Medium, Ghost Whisperer, Prison Break, Lost, The Unit (cancelled: FarScape, Star Trek Enterprise, Firefly)

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 04-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #19
Neil Mick

*worries that there are so many sci-fi Aikidoists, out there...perhaps some sort of plot to take over the dojo...?

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, anyone...?

*looks at self in mirror...realizes that I'm already one of them...

P.S. And, my 2cents on Stargate...wooden acting, predictable (as in, saw it coming, within 5min of the opening) plots, cardboard characters: but the story arcs are certainly interesting.

And, Claudia Black rocks!

P.S.S. And yes: BSG is great...I agreed with everything you said about it. My one problem with the show is the character of the "terrorist:" does he have be so 1-dimensional? lol

Last edited by Neil Mick : 04-17-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #20
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
P.S.S. And yes: BSG is great...I agreed with everything you said about it. My one problem with the show is the character of the "terrorist:" does he have be so 1-dimensional? lol
But, they had to come up with a role for the original Apollo. It's so great to see him in this series. I wish the original Starbuck was there, too, but he still has an ax to grind against the new series. Apparently, he's still upset that his character was changed to a female character. Poor guy.

Yes, wooden acting -- but you're talking to a Star Wars fan, here. I LOVE my wooden acting.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 04-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #21
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

i digdug it.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #22
Koren Ko

Malaysia

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
But, they had to come up with a role for the original Apollo. It's so great to see him in this series. I wish the original Starbuck was there, too, but he still has an ax to grind against the new series. Apparently, he's still upset that his character was changed to a female character. Poor guy.

Yes, wooden acting -- but you're talking to a Star Wars fan, here. I LOVE my wooden acting.
Speaking of Apollo...I dug up an intro guide of "Great Books/Novels/Mangas/Movie/Series of the year" from library.

BSG 1978 was only ran for short period. However, many similarities and scenes was found between Starwars. Also, its the 1st Sci-fi which had a LOT of different ships in it.(Hence, influence how other following Space Sci-fi ships of other wordl should be. Alot and Vary)

Let the poor old Apollo roar, I like the new BSG better. I prefer that we view new BSG as alternate and hence successful debut of original BSG.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:53 AM   #23
Steve Morabito
United_States

I hesitate to get into new shows on Scifi these days. You watch and grow to love shows like Firefly and Farscape, and then they cancel them. I guess they wind up making money on the DVDs afterwards. By the way, the Firefly DVD commentaries are great. (Farscape too). It's amazing what shows get the ratings these days; like Wife Swap...now that's horrendous. And how many more times can we possibly stand to watch 16 people supposedly 'stranded' to see who will be the next "Survivor"?
That was a rant. Thanks for listening.
Steve
Old 05-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #24
david evans
Dojo: Newcastle Iwama Aikido
Australia

It's about time we had some good dramatic fiction. I really enjoyed the storyline, characterisation, and of course, the western sci-fi setting.

Thoroughly enjoyable!

David.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #25
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Steve Morabito wrote:
And how many more times can we possibly stand to watch 16 people supposedly 'stranded' to see who will be the next "Survivor"?
Steve
You know, I think those shows would be greatly enhanced if we allowed them to yield real weapons.

Anyone see "Battle Royal"?...

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!