Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #126
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Re: Any instructors here ever challenged?

It's nice when they honestly want to "play". My experience has been too often they are more interested in proving their art is superior. It's nice - although rare - when I can steer someone like this in the direction of Aikido. Mostly, though, the best I hope for is to "defeat" the guy and not disrupt my class too much.

("Defeat" is in quotes because of the dichotomy in attitudes in such a situation. A person like this comes in thinking of it as a contest and I try not to - with varying degrees of success. Because of his attitude, if I succeed he will be defeated, but I try not to think of it as winning on my part. It's tough to maintain the correct attitude in the face of this type of competitiveness, but I really do try.)

But it really comes down to why they are there. If they are there with a sincere interest in Aikido, it generally sorts itself out pretty quickly. If they are there just to be difficult, well, that also sorts itself out, but in a different way.

I do remember this one guy who showed up when I was a fairly green teacher. It didn't go well. He resisted, I insisted. He never came back. I wonder how I would handle him now...

Last edited by mriehle : 06-05-2006 at 10:43 AM.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #127
Mato-san
Iceland

This is a post training message. He came back and his outlook was somewhat different. Maybe all that Judo randori forced the playful evasive guy out of him, but he learnt very quickly that aikido works. The clenched fist I talked about was gorgeous when sensei did a cut to his tricept (check spelling) like kind of a yonkyo in a nikyo/ikkyo lock, but to the upper part of the arm (very painful) I stepped up to sensei after, requesting to feel the technique, oh yeah it was effective alright. Maybe this nerve manipulation is not new to some of you, but me it was, and I was speachless.Seems like sensei had an answer for everything this guy threw at him. I could only answer a few. I LOVE AIKIDO!

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:03 AM   #128
DonMagee
United_States

Bicep and tricep slicers are fun fun things. I love using them on guys who are resisting takedowns or armbars.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #129
ksy
Malaysia

Quote:
Mathew McDowell wrote:
This is a post training message. He came back and his outlook was somewhat different. Maybe all that Judo randori forced the playful evasive guy out of him, but he learnt very quickly that aikido works. The clenched fist I talked about was gorgeous when sensei did a cut to his tricept (check spelling) like kind of a yonkyo in a nikyo/ikkyo lock, but to the upper part of the arm (very painful) I stepped up to sensei after, requesting to feel the technique, oh yeah it was effective alright. Maybe this nerve manipulation is not new to some of you, but me it was, and I was speachless.Seems like sensei had an answer for everything this guy threw at him. I could only answer a few. I LOVE AIKIDO!
i just started so i haven't experienced most of what you're talking about. but your last sentence is very exhilaratingly said. yes, i agree as well. cheers mato-san...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!